cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Package not delivered by post office... possibly lost

Have a first-time situation and not sure the best way to handle or if I even have a choice. I shipped an item (ground advantage) 2 days after buyer paid. Post Office has a record that it was in their possession October 18. Tracking stops at October 23, when it said that it was moving through the system, but to expect delays. Then nothing. I make it a habit to follow my packages until they are delivered, but for some reason neglected to do that with this one (lesson learned). Buyer contacted eBay to open a refund request which unfortunately is what first alerted me to the problem. When I went to the PO website to do a missing mail search, the buyer already had done that. I’m unable to file a claim until tomorrow when they would officially consider it a missing package. The buyer told the PO that the package contained jewelry and the value was $150, neither is true.

Yesterday I had an email from the PO that says the package will arrive later than expected but is still in transit. Then I received a second email that says tracking has been updated to reflect a delivery exception. PO also said that the buyer could open a claim tomorrow and if he beats me to it, then he’ll be refunded, not me. Is that possible? Have no problem refunding, but I don’t want to refund, have the package received by the buyer and then I don’t have payment or the item. PO said that the item is not eligible for package intercept. I called eBay (they are currently withholding my funds) and they said that I am currently protected under seller protection since tracking shows I sent it out, but I thought that protection was only after delivery? The buyer hasn’t contacted me directly, only via the refund request. I’m not sure what to message to the buyer or what else I can do next if anything. Any advice?

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Package not delivered by post office... possibly lost

File an insurance claim for the missing package at USPS.com.  If past 21 days the claim will be paid regardless of whether it later gets delivered or not.  Do this now.

If package has not been delivered wait till the last day, but refund the buyer before the deadline, you do not want ebay stepping in.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Can you clarify? I can’t file a claim until tomorrow afternoon. I tried, but USPS had a message that said it was too soon and if I continue, the claim could be rejected. I was going to wait until tomorrow to avoid the need to do it again. eBay is already involved because I’ve had to respond to the buyers refund request. I’ve talked to 3 different reps - they don’t actually provide any useful info, just keep telling me not to worry and to call back. Very frustrating. 

Apologies, been selling for years and have never had a lost package or been asked for a refund. Are you saying to file a claim tomorrow, but to refund the buyer before I file the claim? Is there some message in particular that I should provide the buyer? Thanks so much.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

You can file a claim, but it is not official until 21 days has passed from the acceptance scan.

Did buyer open a Return Request?  If not ask them to wait a little while longer.   If they did, you need to respond to that before the time limit stated, but wait as long as you can in case the item gets delivered first.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@nohummys wrote:

I called eBay (they are currently withholding my funds) and they said that I am currently protected under seller protection since tracking shows I sent it out, but I thought that protection was only after delivery?

As usual, they give bad information.

You're only protected if tracking shows it was delivered.

There is no seller protection if the package doesn't get delivered.

Have a great day.
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

You'll have to refund the buyer, then file a claim with USPS.

Have a great day.
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

The buyer already opened up a refund request.  I’ll write them back now. eBay suggested that I ask them to cancel the request for a few days to give the PO a chance to do their thing. And then open another one in a few days if nothing has changed. Is that realistic?

What happens if I refund the buyer and the package gets delivered between the time I refund and before the claim is settled?  

Thanks again.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

That was bad advice, as once buyer closes the request they can not open another one and most know that, so you would look like you were trying to scam them.  You can however ask ebay to extend the refund time limit, just make sure you get it in writing.

Yes, package may get delivered after you refund.  That's why it is important to open a claim now and wait till the last day available to refund the buyer.  If that does happen and the claim doesn't pay, you then send a PayPal invoice and hope the buyer is honest enough to pay it.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Thank you, now makes sense. Appreciate it.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

One last question - contacted the buyer - they said that since I would be making the claim (when/should it come to that), they wanted to cancel their mail search with USPS so that I could open up a search under my name. USPS won't give me too much info because the buyer opened the search, but is there a reason that should happen at this point? I chatted with eBay and they said I couldn't make the request to extend the refund time limit until Friday. Does changing the search come back to bite me at some point? Thanks.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

You want to open an insurance claim, not a lost search with USPS.  The claim will not become official until 21 days when the package officially is considered lost.

You want to be the one to open the insurance claim, as you want any payment to go to you not the buyer.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply