cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help ID Tiffany silver miniature vessel ??

Anyone know what this miniature footed vessel might have been used for?  Its stamped Tiffany & Co. numbered 11544 T 5883, I have no clue size is 2.75" X 1.25" high Any help will be much appreciated. ThanksTIFFANY 33A.jpgTIFFANY 33B.jpgTIFFANY 33C.jpgTIFFANY 33D.jpgTIFFANY 33E.jpg

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Help ID Tiffany silver miniature vessel ??

TIFFANY & CO. SILVER PIPKIN BRANDY WARMER.

PURR AND THE WORLD PURRS WITH YOU.
HISS AND YOU HISS ALONE.

KrazzyKats  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1998

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Thank you for your input, could be, but wouldn't hold very much  brandy and has no spout. 

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

I'm not sure, but will take a swing at it. I don't know the proper name for the items, but could this possibly be one of those vessels used to hold sealing wax? I've seen similar things as your item in the past and that's what it reminds me of. You break off chunks of the sealing wax and put them in the vessel, then hold it over a candle to melt the wax, then pour the wax onto the envelope (or whatever), then stamp your seal into the hot wax. This one looks unused, so maybe the previous owner thought it was cute, so just had it for a display.

So, that's my 2¢, lol!

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

for clarified butter for lobsters ?

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Maybe it is something like this. It appears to be a small oil lamp, but the general shape and design is very  much like your piece.

They called it a "burner wick" but it appears that it was for lighting oil lamps or candles, maybe on a boat, but could also have been useful for any unsteady vehicle like a carriage. This one is 15 cm or about 6 inches long.

https://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/antique-american-silver-burner-wick-made-by-whiti-1333-c-7914...

lacemaker3_0-1715523684476.png

This seems to be the same kind of thing, but is called a table lighter. Still looks like an oil lamp to me.

https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/dining-entertaining/sterling-silver/antique-sterling-silver-gimbal...

lacemaker3_0-1715524121833.png

lacemaker3_1-1715524285792.png

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

krazzykats_0-1715535132357.png

krazzykats_1-1715535437132.png

krazzykats_2-1715535558066.png

You warm the brandy pipkin over a candle.  Brandy is for sipping, not drinking in the common sense....:)

Tiffany made many ss pipkins.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

A brandy pipkin warmer is a charming and traditional way to heat brandy or other spirits for a more flavorful experience. Here’s how you can use one:

1. Prepare the Pipkin Warmer:

• Make sure your brandy pipkin warmer is clean and free from any residue.
    • Fill the warmer with the desired amount of brandy. Remember that brandy is typically drunk slightly warm to enhance its flavor and aromas.
  2. Heat the Brandy:

• Place the brandy pipkin warmer on a heat source. Traditionally, this would be done over a flame or stove.
    • Warm the brandy gently, avoiding rapid boiling. The goal is to heat it without scorching or altering its taste.
    • Keep an eye on the temperature to prevent overheating.
  3. Pour and Enjoy:

• Once the brandy is warm enough, carefully pour it into a brandy snifter or glass.
    • Sip and savor the flavors. The warmth will enhance the aromatic qualities of the brandy.
  4. Safety Tips:

• Be cautious when handling the pipkin warmer, especially if it’s hot.
    • Use a wooden handle or oven mitts to protect your hands.
    • Always supervise the heating process to avoid accidents.

Remember that brandy warmers come in various designs, including silver plate versions with wooden handles.  Some even date back to the 1700s, adding a touch of history to your brandy-drinking experience!

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Thanks to you all, It is an interesting piece and I think it could be any of your suggested items. Or it can be an original "Thing a ma Jig" ?  THANKS AGAIN   

Message 9 of 10
latest reply