cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keep your listings compliant with EU and UK regulations

Selling into countries like France and Germany means you have to meet their local regulations, which may have an impact on your business. We’ve created simple ways to help you navigate how to get, and stay, compliant with international regulations.

If you sell to buyers in France or Germany this article will outline how to stay on top of Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) regulations. These regulations are part of a Europe-wide initiative that aims to protect the environment by improving waste management and stimulating innovation in recycling. We’ve created a new Help page that is your one stop shop for all things regulatory.

Please ensure that all questions and comments remain on topic. Any off topic posts will be moved to the appropriate board, so they can be answered by Community Members. 

Please allow us 24-48 hours to provide an answer to your question. 

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Hi team.
A few questions.
1-You state:
 If you want to sell electronics in Germany and/or to sell to France, you’ll still need to make your listings compliant with the country’s local regulations.

If I list with EIS, will you block my listing if I don't do required certifications with UK/Euro countries with new rules? So you'll show my items to countries I CAN ship to & block me from those I can't?

2- Sellers required to register/ follow EPR FR regarding UIN number for sellers that sell in the following categories only: from the list is
https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/all-about-selling/selling-internationally/extended-producer-respon...

Sports and leisure articles - is this clothing?
new footwear- I assume this is shoes. yes? no? 
new footwear- so if footwear  is USED -EPR  UIN does not apply? yes? no?

More on UIN- so sellers selling good from thrift shops/consignment shop, buying retail to resell IF they sell in UIN categories, must supply a UIN. If yes, how do think this is doable as items not bought from a supplier.
"You can find the UIN for your product by either contacting your supplier (producer in or first importer into France) or, if you are the producer in or first importer into France, by registering with a qualified producer responsibility organization." So for UIN products, sellers should not list for France? Yes? No?
 Does UIN apply to new and used goods?
3- EPR Germany
with EIS we are covered for Lucid but NOT WEEE Directive- correct?
4- EPR Germany- WEEE & EEE is primarily directed at sellers who sell electronic and electrical items. Categories like toys, clothing are not impacted- correct? This is quite different from the list of EPR  UIN France categories- as France UIN includes footwear, toys and sports leisure

Thank you team- it would be helpful to have a chart for each country with impacted categories side/side with hyperlinks to the help pages as this is challenging to sort through.  And indicate is applies to new and or used. Ty team
Kathy Terrill

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

seller_update@ebay wrote:

We’ve created a new Help page that is your one stop shop for all things regulatory.

I don't see a link to that help page in the seller update or in the recent announcement about international regulations.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

@wastingtime101 

Could the Regulations Link be the big blue button on this page? I tend to overlook buttons, when looking for links.

https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/resources/seller-updates/2023-summer/business

Leading here:

https://www.ebay.com/help/account/regulatory/understanding-regulations-when-selling-on-eBay?id=5393

seller_update@ebay 

This summer update page includes a link to a German help page for EPR affected items:

Here is the actual US page for EPR affected items:

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/extended-producer-responsibility-business-sellers/extended-produce...

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@shipscript wrote:

@wastingtime101 

Could the Regulations Link be the big blue button on this page? I tend to overlook buttons, when looking for links.

😂Totally missed that. Thanks, ship.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

When do they answer these questions?   If I don't get clarity soon, which the update never does  for me, I'm just going to add those countries to my do not sell to list. 

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

When do they answer these questions?   If I don't get clarity soon, which the update never does  for me, I'm just going to add those countries to my do not sell to list. 

Hello, @fern*wood. We're working quickly to get answers to your questions, but it may take up to 48 hours to receive a reply. 

Elizabeth,
eBay
Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Sorry, I didn't see the 24-48hr time frame for answers.  I'm used to old update boards where the answers came the same day and then the board closed.

I'm just going to go away now for awhile since frustration is setting in.  I've just recently been opted into the international shipping, then the USPS change hit, and I've not got my head around either yet.   I don't like the feeling.  I definitely need to stop listing.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

seller_update@ebay 

I am also confused by much of this topic:

Does this apply to me if I’m using eBay International Shipping?

If you’re using eBay International Shipping to sell to Germany, eBay will manage the German EPR packaging obligations. If you want to sell electronics in Germany and/or to sell to France, you’ll still need to make your listings compliant with the country’s local regulations.

What happens if I don't provide this information?

Items on ebay.fr and ebay.de that aren’t compliant could be blocked from listing or removed.

Above are two examples, but I find the whole page confusing in this manner. What part of these rules, and eBay actions, apply to sellers listing on the EU sites vs selling into the EU sites.

We are also segregated by B2C (business) seller vs C2C (personal) seller in some cases, and by monetary thresholds in others.  And by producer/importer vs reseller.  Most eBay sellers are not producers and I would have to guess that most sellers, and particularly new and casual sellers, have no clue at all about any of this.

For the majority of sellers who list on .com, and would export only through EIS, I would like to see EIS block anything going to those other countries if the proper credentials are not attached to the seller account. The clueless small sellers should not have to be concerned with the burgeoning government regulations engulfing everything productive.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@fern*wood 

eBay International Shipping (EIS) is really easy. As a long time exporter in my real business, I think EIS is one of eBay's best moves for small sellers. You will enjoy the benefit of global exposure with none of the headaches. You will ship and sell domestically, and EIS will attempt to block purchasers in countries where you items are not allowed to ship. Once EIS has the item, you are out of the picture. Any problems from the buyer or exportation are handled by EIS. They will buy back the item and refund the buyer or take care of lost items.

The USPS change will hit July 9th. You can't do anything about it until then, and USPS will still honor labels processed before that date. So you don't have to start fretting that one for another dozen days. However, I think it would be wise to hold off listing anything that doesn't ship priority.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@love2beselling wrote:

Hi team.
A few questions.
1-You state:
 If you want to sell electronics in Germany and/or to sell to France, you’ll still need to make your listings compliant with the country’s local regulations.

If I list with EIS, will you block my listing if I don't do required certifications with UK/Euro countries with new rules? So you'll show my items to countries I CAN ship to & block me from those I can't?

2- Sellers required to register/ follow EPR FR regarding UIN number for sellers that sell in the following categories only: from the list is
https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/all-about-selling/selling-internationally/extended-producer-respon...

More on UIN- so sellers selling good from thrift shops/consignment shop, buying retail to resell IF they sell in UIN categories, must supply a UIN. If yes, how do think this is doable as items not bought from a supplier.
"You can find the UIN for your product by either contacting your supplier (producer in or first importer into France) or, if you are the producer in or first importer into France, by registering with a qualified producer responsibility organization." So for UIN products, sellers should not list for France? Yes? No?
3- EPR Germany
4- EPR Germany- WEEE & EEE is primarily directed at sellers who sell electronic and electrical items. Categories like toys, clothing are not impacted- correct? This is quite different from the list of EPR  UIN France categories- as France UIN includes footwear, toys and sports leisure

Thank you team- it would be helpful to have a chart for each country with impacted categories side/side with hyperlinks to the help pages as this is challenging to sort through.  And indicate is applies to new and or used. Ty team
Kathy Terrill

Hello @love2beselling! We just wanted to let you know that we're still gathering answers to your questions, and will touch base as soon as possible. 

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@love2beselling wrote:

Hi team.
A few questions.
1-You state:

3- EPR Germany

Kathy Terrill

Good morning @love2beselling. We've received an answer for 3/4 of your questions, and #2 will be answered within a few days. Here are answers to 1,3,and 4:

1. Yes, if you are enrolled in eIS and do not have registration numbers in your seller profile for these additional requirements/certifications eBay will not allow your listings to ship to the locations requiring said additional requirements/certifications.

3. Correct, eBay will take care of the LUCID requirements however for EPR Electronics if you do not have a WEEE registration number in your seller profile we eBay will not allow your listings to ship to Germany for those items.

4. Correct, German EPR Electronic regulations (WEEE) are aimed specifically at the disposal of electronics and electrical items.  Please do not however that there are some items that are considered “toys” that may still be considered electronics.  If you wish to sell those items into Germany you will need a WEEE registration number on your seller profile and if there is not one eBay will not allow those listings to ship to Germany.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply