cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

silverplate serving spoon J.G. Martin Pattern ID

I have never heard of this company and can't find anything on the web.  Does anyone know if they were merged with or purchased by a larger company?  this spoon is 9 5/8" longIMG_5742.JPGIMG_5743.JPGIMG_5744.JPGIMG_5745.JPG

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

A better picture of the mark would help, but I think the mark says W.H. Rogers. As to the pattern, I have no suggestions. W.H. Rogers is an old 'Rogers' mark, and there were many old 'Rogers' marks.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Here is a closer viewIMG_5761.JPG

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Yes, it sure does say J.G. Martin. Retailers used to put their name on silverplate items, and my best guess is that this company was a retailer, or store, not the maker. You could go through a silverplate pattern book, looking at each pattern image for a match, which is what we used to do, but even doing that some times fails to find a pattern match. The pattern books match (and cross match) patterns by manufacturers, so without knowing the maker makes pattern identification very difficult. Not impossible, but difficult for sure. Have you checked Replacements.com? That may be your best chance. Good luck!

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

with that 12 its origin might be German.  before 1888. meaning 12 Loth which equals 750 silver. Martin might be the importer.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

I figured it out!  It's an old Wm Rogers pattern called Yale I c1894

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

What does the "12" stand for?

I have some old Sterling silver spoons with numbers, but they stand for the month. These are Birth Month Flower spoons.  In the old days, March's flower would have been the Violet and the spoon would have the mark "3".  Today, the March flower is the Daffodil, Jonquil or Narcissus.

I have a Water Lily spoon marked "8" for August, and a Holly Leaves spoon marked "12" for December.

Silver--Alvin Birth Month Flower--No. 3 the Violet-001.PNGSilver--Alvin Birth Month Flower--No. 3 the Violet-002.PNGSilver--Alvin Birth Month Flower--No. 3 the Violet-003.PNG

Message 7 of 7
latest reply