cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

calculation of eBay fees

Does anyone else think that it's unfair of eBay to include Tax and Shipping when eBay calculates its final value fee? Sellers do not get the Tax money; that goes to the government. Sellers do not get the Shipping money; that goes to USPS, Fed Ex, UPS or whatever service the Seller uses to be certain that the item is delivered to the Buyer.

Who in the Corporate Office do we have to write to about this matter?

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

calculation of eBay fees

@ruinedpalace wrote:

Does anyone else think that it's unfair of eBay to include Tax and Shipping when eBay calculates its final value fee? Sellers do not get the Tax money; that goes to the government. Sellers do not get the Shipping money; that goes to USPS, Fed Ex, UPS or whatever service the Seller uses to be certain that the item is delivered to the Buyer.

Does anyone wonder why some long-time sellers are still asking "why" about a change that happened 11 years ago (FVF on shipping)?

What's up with that?

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

calculation of eBay fees

This is nothing new. All payment processors have been charging a fee on the total payment for years. Paypal did it and no one complained. Now that eBay is doing it, everyone is messing their diapers. 

It's clearly stated in the help section. No surprises. If you have been selling for years and were unaware of the situation, then maybe some reading is in order. You might discover some other things that you don't like. 😀

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

calculation of eBay fees

You might as well address that to the dead letter office.  They charge the fees on the total payment and whatever that includes.  Shipping has been part of this for years already. 

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

calculation of eBay fees

Ebay handles the money for both.........you no longer pay a fee to paypal for doing the same thing.........

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

calculation of eBay fees

@ruinedpalace 

You've never sold on other sites have you?

All the other sites base their fee's fee's on the total amount the buyer pays also.

Have a great day.
Message 6 of 16
latest reply

calculation of eBay fees

The Final Value Fee is charged on what the Buyer Paid for the item and has nothing to do with what portion of that sale you get or do not get.

Charging and Collecting a Final Value Fee is 100% up to the website on what they want to predicate it on. 

They could easily just charge 20% for the item alone and dictate what can be charged for shipping.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

calculation of eBay fees

and you really think this is something unique to eBay?

Most selling sites charge fees on the TOTAL amount of the transaction...

adjust, accept, adapt, and carry on!

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

calculation of eBay fees

Out of sight, out of mind.....the only explanation for Sellers not realizing their prior fees with Paypal and/or in total?

MP has at least opened the doors to better breakdowns of fees/transactions and overall transparency.

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 9 of 16
latest reply

calculation of eBay fees

@ruinedpalace wrote:

If you are asking who will change the way eBay calculates fees based on your letter, I doubt there is anyone. 

20 million sellers have chosen to list 1.5 billion items here under this fee structure. Until that changes, I doubt eBay has any incentive to reduce fees.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

calculation of eBay fees

Do you have any idea how this company keeps everyone out of trouble? Well I do, and from a corporate viewpoint it is most likely a real pain keeping everything straight and regulated. This is expensive, so we can all do are selling.  Your welcome to buy your own website from a provider and go it on your own, anytime. Be happy selling!

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

calculation of eBay fees

Weeeeelllll, 

I'm a long time seller/buyer. 

I  used to feel like this, I was so frustrated and upset. But it is what it is, and you have to accept it if you want to sell here. The only other alternative is a different selling platform such as Amazon, though they too have rules that aren't great.

Good luck 🙂

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

calculation of eBay fees

Instead of stomping one's feet and crying "unfair!"...

ACCEPT > ADJUST > ADAPT... That's what successful sellers do here when changes come about. And the addition of fees on shipping and sales taxes has been going on for years with payment processors, both online and in B&M stores.

Cheers, Duffy

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

calculation of eBay fees

This is standard practice.  Every payment processor charges its fee on the total sale to the buyer -- for merchandise, handling, shiiping, surchages, sundry costs, sales tax.  This has been the case since the invention of the credit card.  PayPal's fee was based on the total sale, too, and they also took a 30-cent fee on each transaction, so why did that not bother you?

Nearly everyone in Managed Payments finds the total take-out on each sale to be about the same, and usually a tiny bit less, than it was with PayPal, so why the beef now?

Is it as simple as the fact that PayPal was less transparent in its actions?  Or the fact that the eBay and PayPal take-outs were separated?  Or that during most of the time PayPal was the processor, sales taxes were not being charged and people don't expect them to be subject to fees, now that they are collected?  Or what?  What gives here, with the numerous posts like this on?

Anyhow, write a letter to the eBay corporate offices in San Jose, CA.  You can find the address on-line, I'm sure.

=

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

calculation of eBay fees

It does not really matter  who thinks eBay's fee schedule is unfair.  If you want to sell on eBay, you have to follow the rules.  As a seller, you are the one who decides if it's worth it to you. 

Message 15 of 16
latest reply