cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are Buyers Always Favored here?

I've always disliked favoritism of any kind.  It creates distrust, and allows dishonest people the freedom to do whatever they please.  I do not understand why Buyers are favored here.  Sellers can't do this, and can't do that - we can't even say no returns anymore.  I just got ripped off for 72 Basketball cards - my appeal is "on hold" in case I need to do more.  Does Ebay actually have people who READ what we all say?  It doesn't seem like they do.  I don't know, I guess I'm just fed up with favoritism, thieves, and the fools who don't understand why supporting them is the worst thing to do.  It's rewarding bad behavior - not o.k. 

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Why are Buyers Always Favored here?

All the big platforms are very buyer centric.

Buyers are protected by federal consumer laws.

If you expect eBay to be more helpful in covering things then that means fees need to be raised. That means now I'm expected to help deal with your issues.

Ebay isn't even as buyer centric as other platforms.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Because there are too many sellers and not enough buyers?

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Because buyers bring in money, sellers often just bring in junk LOL

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

The GOOD buyers have to be protected from the BAD sellers on here. 

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@centaur_1202 wrote:

“…Does Ebay actually have people who READ what we all say?”

Initially no, not until an appeal is filed. Initially everything is done automatically  with the bots handling it. Buyers get an automatic ruling in their favor 99% of the time. 

But now after you’ve refunded, and the case is closed,  then a human being supposedly reviews the appeal case—as long as you have not authorized eBay to automatically file the appeal on your behalf. Then it usually is another automatic refusal. But that doesn’t sound like what is happening with you. Good on ya!

Below is the link for the how-to’s when appealing, in case you have not seen it. Following the instructions carefully i’ve heard gives the seller the best chance at a reversal.

Wish you much good luck, and hope this gets resolved to your benefit.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/appeal-outcome-case-seller?id=4369#sectio...

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

In business it's always good not to disagree with customers or make them angry. Like they say, "The customer is always right"

Business is never a straight arrow up, you have to take the good with the bad and learn to roll with the punches.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Without buyers there are no sellers.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Centaur, before I address your query, I will share a bit of philosophy that has assisted in shaping not only my successful business life, but also personal relationships. Life, as a whole, will be simpler if you are not WHY oriented; life is what it is. One can easily become addled by why this, why that and/or why the other.

Now to respond to your initial question. In my non-eCommerce store, I set the rules. On platforms, however, users are required to abide by what the managers have decided is best for their shareholders. Both situations are the same, it is merely a matter of whom is in charge; me in my store or e-Bay on their platform.

I did not intend on adding to this post, but there is an  adage that has definitely been a factor in my success. "If one does not like the peaches, one should not shake the tree." It is far easier to locate another fruit bearing growth, or perhaps another orchard, than to be bothered by matters of which you do not have the slightest control.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@centaur_1202 wrote:

- we can't even say no returns anymore.

@centaur_1202 

This is not a true statement. Sellers may say “no returns.”

What sellers may not say is, “no refunds,” and this is a very important distinction. 

CONSERVITVS  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay member since: 1996

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Why are Buyers Always Favored here?

For the same reason you can't play tennis with only one player......

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Buyers are not "always" favored but generally the scales are tilted in their favor. A lot of the favoritism stems from Federal consumer protection laws that were put in place LONG before ecommerce became an everyday activity. There is no doubt those laws need some adjustment but Congress is infamous for doing little and what they do manage to accomplish takes forever. 

Sellers have some protections when it comes to INR claims, buyers using freight forwarders or international sales that utilize the EIS program. The buyer favoritism is pretty standard across ecommerce and provably even more so among the financial institutions such as credit card companies that are largely the foundation for the Federal consumer protection laws. 

Message 12 of 12
latest reply