cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I contact buyer on their package?

I sold a purse, shipping to Hawaii on December 2.  The tracking, which was last updated on December 14 shows the package is in transit. I was considering reaching out to the buyer to inquire if they has received.  I know sometimes the delivery is not scanned properly so they may have received.  The buyer has over 4,000 feedback so if they haven't received it I would think they would have contacted me.  But I am concerned if I reached out to them and they have received it, they could say they didn't and I would never know for sure if they did get it. I have no objections to a refund if it never made it to the destination. 

What direction do you folks suggest?

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

@ageless_fashion 

Unless the buyer contacts you with a problem, do NOTHING.

There is no need to bring problems upon yourself, if the buyer is not showing any concerns.

The Christmas holidays are always notoriously slow for shipping and deliveries.

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

@ageless_fashion 

I look at it differently than poster Davy ( whom I respect). Communication is key when selling and always keep the lines open. I would politely inquire buyer if their package showed up or do you need to investigate it further.

Plug the tracking number into carriers website, don't rely on the ebays site.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

I fully agree with @1786davycrockett 

DO NOT open communication with the buyer.  That most likely will open a can of worms. You don't say if it was sent Ground Advantage or Priority Mail. You are in Florida, so you're talking literally clear across the country during a busy holiday season. The buyer can open a INR claim, when maybe they do have it and a delivery scan was never done.

Give it time and let them contact you if there is an issue. You may want to do a USPS package trace in the meantime

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Don't bring problems on yourself. If they didn't get it they will let you know.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Have you signed up for email/text updates?  Sometimes that will shake it loose.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

I will often reach out.  While some people are scammers, I don't think most people are and I sell books, not a high scam category.  This happened to me several times last year or so.   One item was extremely slow & stayed in my state for 11 days (media mail) and I didn't want the buyer to get frantic when she saw that.  I emailed to let her know that I would be keeping track of it.  She was very appreciative of my email & left me extra nice feedback when it (finally) arrived.

The other was a buyer I had conversed with a bit.  Her large package of books just stayed stuck & NEVER seemed to arrive. I finally checked with her & she had received it the week before. She didn't leave feedback & so I would have been left wondering. So I was greatly relieved to hear it!

Do what feels best to you.  I don't think there's a right or wrong.

But reaching out has only been positive for me.  I think if they're going to scam, they will scam regardless of whether you reach out or not.  Good luck!

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

krazzykats_1-1703607326295.png

Let the bear sleep. 😀

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

The buyer can watch the tracking just like you and should be able to understand it is out of your hands - being in Hawaii they are probably experienced in this thing, especially in winter and during holidays.  

There doesn't seem to be any real reason to prod the sleeping bear 😉

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Oops......

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

No.   I have received many packages that were never marked as delivered.    If they have received it, you don't want to give them any ideas.   

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

@ageless_fashion 

From my experience here in KC, Ground advantage has a few bugs to work out going to Hawaii.  I have family there.  It took almost 3 weeks to receive a 3 oz. item that should have been there in a few days.  USPS can be a pain during the holidays.  

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

@ageless_fashion  i would open a 'where's my package' case from the USPS website

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Some buyers don't check their tracking to see that you shipped their item on time, so when I used to ship items during the month of December and also the first half of January, this is a sample of the couple of lines that I would add to the bottom of my packing slip:

Payment received:  Monday, Dec 4, 2023       Thank you for your payment!

Package shipped:   Tuesday, Dec 5, 2023

That way when they opened the package they could see that you shipped it on time.  I would put the packing slip inside an envelope to make sure they checked it out.

If the package takes way longer than the usual holiday season delay, then I would also contact them, telling them something like "Dear buyer, I just checked the tracking number for your purchase, and I'm sorry to see that the USPS is taking so long to get your package to you.  I hope you enjoy your item when it finally arrives, and Happy Holidays to you and yours!"

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

@ageless_fashion wrote:

I sold a purse, shipping to Hawaii on December 2.  The tracking, which was last updated on December 14 shows the package is in transit. I was considering reaching out to the buyer to inquire if they has received.

No. There is no advantage to you revealing to your buyer that you have no idea where his package is.

@ageless_fashion wrote:

The buyer has over 4,000 feedback so if they haven't received it I would think they would have contacted me.

Exactly.

@ageless_fashion wrote:

But I am concerned if I reached out to them and they have received it, they could say they didn't and I would never know for sure if they did get it.

Also true.

@ageless_fashion wrote:

What direction do you folks suggest?

Let the buyer make the first move. You can respond to say that you are following the tracking ect. ect. and tell him that you will refund next week if it has not turned up anywhere by then. Once the Christmas rush has properly cleared out then it may show up on the radar.

Also subscribe to email or text alerts for the package from USPS. It will have absolutely no effect on getting the package un-stuck or anything like that BUT it will give you near-instant notification when it does get a new scan so you will not have to keep logging in to USPS to check the tracking manually.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply