SCOTUS  has ruled 

the problems will be enormous 

Message 1 of 284
latest reply
283 REPLIES 283

Re: Sales tax . . . the problem has begun

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth wrote:

@goodluckselling

So Amazon is collecting sales tax for your sales there to PA but Ebay is not? Curiouser and curiouser.

Of course, because AMZ IS the payment facilitator while eBay (currently) is NOT.

eta: and before you ask, PP doesn't have to because PP is "just a digital wallet"

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 61 of 284
latest reply

Food fot thought...

Four years ago...Mar 24, 2014 - There are now 9,998 different sales tax jurisdictions in the United States (States, cities, etc)

Message 62 of 284
latest reply

@grasshopperx wrote:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme-court/supreme-court-rules-states-can-require-online-retaile... if you read down it does say small sellers may be ok.

"Thursday's ruling did not require all Internet companies to collect sales taxes. While larger companies certainly are now obligated to do so, the decision suggested that small retailers, who sell on eBay, for example, will not face the requirement."

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 63 of 284
latest reply

Ok? I'm following you. But IF small sellers are exempt? Maybe that would be a boom for them? Not so much for the big guys? What do you think?  I dont know. So disgusted. It seems every good thing does get ruined. By you know who. Gees? So they say the economy is just starting to pick up? Yipee for all. So lets raise gas and tax internet? They dont even let the little guy catch his breath.

Message 64 of 284
latest reply

@rustyrail wrote:

It is not simply a matter of filing sales tax receipts for every state. We would have to determine every sales tax receipt for every community that the sale originated in. This would result in each seller having to file potentially thousands of sales tax reports. Additionally, every seller would have to obtain Sales Tax Permits from every State. 

If eBay wants to stay in business, then eBay will have to develop a workable solution for this problem.

Otherwise most sellers will simply go out of business. 

So, what is eBay going to do????

Ebay  could same as Etsy  collect it and turn it over to those states that require  it.   .     It is funny to  read  that   Trump  had his people  help S.D.  with  sale tax ,  just to get back at Amazon  who wasn't  even  involve  with case , Because they have psychical  presents .    They did say it is open  to go back to court  for argument  under other issues  .  well in  1992     there  wasn't   online  sales when that law passed . It wasn't until  early 1996  when  online  market   started up , but still in it's infancy .  Fact  the 5 of judges had issues with 1992 law being poorly written , it  took over 20 years for them  to  over turn it over it.   Again  how  that complaint  never came up all those years for push to update that law . 

Message 65 of 284
latest reply

More than that I think. Sometimes each COUNTY in a state.

Message 66 of 284
latest reply

And what a shock (not) to see Thomas & Ginsburg on the "yeah tax 'em all" side

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 67 of 284
latest reply

I think it`s a rip that used items get taxed everytime they chage hands. Think about all the revenue generated from used item sales. Like we don`t pay enough already. They are out to squeeze us dry!
"There`s always barber college" - Dalton - Road House
Message 68 of 284
latest reply

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth wrote:

it looks like those are the only two states/districts where Amazon has been taxing third party sales. So I guess we know that they have software in place to collect and remit. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/02/amazon-to-start-collecting-sales-tax-for-shipments-to-pennsylvania.h...

I'm going to go waaaaay out on a limb (<--sarcasm font) here and say Amazon has been completely pre-prepared for this ruling and yes, the programming is ready to go, however and whenever.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 69 of 284
latest reply

@hillbillymedia wrote:
I think it`s a rip that used items get taxed everytime they chage hands. Think about all the revenue generated from used item sales. Like we don`t pay enough already. They are out to squeeze us dry!

I absolutely agree. Apart from licenced vehicles there should be ZERO ST charged on used items. They already got their cut the first time it sold.

Crusader Cat is watching

Message 70 of 284
latest reply

@ymeagainlord wrote:

@hillbillymedia wrote:

I absolutely agree. Apart from licenced vehicles there should be ZERO ST charged on used items. They already got their cut the first time it sold.

Well yes and no.....I'm sure filthy rich people would love that ruling when they buy that da Vinci, Van Gogh or Faberge egg...

Message 71 of 284
latest reply

> Ebay do the coding for us!? Ha!

Right!

eBay will probably charge a 10% FVF on the sales tax!

Message 72 of 284
latest reply

If they do, its just gonna cost my state and fed's more, I'm disable, I can't work a 9-5 job, but selling online I can work around my illness, without it I'll have to go on SSI, which means they'll have to support and pay for me. I have a LLC, pay state and federal taxes on what I sell, I have a house, a car, pay taxes on them, also I can go to the store to buy food and supplies for my house and yard.

My sales having been dropping for years selling on ebay, I had to drop international sales because postage got so outrageous that sales dropped and the chance of losing $14 to $25 just on postage plus the items if got lost or broken wasn't worth it.

Message 73 of 284
latest reply

closer to truth than I would like to think, if they get involved . . . . the cost of any software & coding will be passed along to the seller at a 10x the value of the service done

Message 74 of 284
latest reply

@ymeagainlord wrote:
And what a shock (not) to see Thomas & Ginsburg on the "yeah tax 'em all" side

Here is food for thought   Had  Pres. Obama  gotten his  judge   that he picked   in the supreme  court   through   Had  Republicans  had not block him.    good chance the  court  would held the law in place for fiscal   presents .     Folks you vote for Republicans  that don't care about you, and this is what you get. 

Message 75 of 284
latest reply