Sales tax . . . the problem has begun

SCOTUS  has ruled 

the problems will be enormous 

Message 1 of 284
latest reply
283 REPLIES 283

Re: Sales tax . . . the problem has begun

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth wrote:

I don't think I've been charged sales tax when I buy from third party sellers on Amazon? I could be wrong. 

Amazon collects sales tax and submits it for all transactions where the buyer in located in PA and Wash DC.  I have seen this on my monthly reports for about 8 or 9 months.

Those two locations have already passed state Legistlation for internet sales tax.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 46 of 284
latest reply

So I have questions again . . . 1)  Do Chinese sellers or International sellers have to pay any sales tax seller directly to any of the 50 states?    2)  Does the tax only apply to Businesses on EBay and not Individuals that are not selling on EBay as a "Business".

Message 47 of 284
latest reply

@fjbet13 wrote:

You are right. Third party sellers on Amazon do not charge sales tax.

Yes we do. 

Good Luck Selling!

Message 48 of 284
latest reply

They were discussing this on CNBC today - its impact on online mom and pops.  The general thinking was that for a company like Amazon this would not be a problem as they already collect sales tax for what they sell, and since they collect all the money for their third party sellers - it would not be difficult to collect and remit sleas tax for them. 

No mention was made of ebay, etsy,  or any other third party seller sites that use payment services to collect the funds.   If they want to not lose a lot of sellers - they would have to make sure their payment service provider can handle collecting and remitting sales tax to all 50 states.    Expect to pay higher payment processing fees if this comes about. 

Message 49 of 284
latest reply

Either ebay will collect the tax from the buyer at time of sale, or the buyer of international goods will be responsible to pay those taxes to the IRS. Like that is going to happen....

Message 50 of 284
latest reply

it looks like those are the only two states/districts where Amazon has been taxing third party sales. So I guess we know that they have software in place to collect and remit. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/02/amazon-to-start-collecting-sales-tax-for-shipments-to-pennsylvania.h...

Message 51 of 284
latest reply

You know at first I was getting upset but then I realized.... 

My sales are down more then 80% since May and at this rate I'll be completely exempt from paying tax since I cant sell anything here anyway. 

Back to school, finish that degree and audios amigos!!!

Message 52 of 284
latest reply

@courtneypmbowie wrote:

I wanna know how the h-e-double hockey sticks we are supposed to figure all this out and implement it. Idiots... they [goverment, courts] never think in realistic practical terms.

We wont, ebay will. I just wonder how many times Ebay will be sued over this. Considering how poorly programming changes go around here, I seriously doubt they can figure out how to collect all that tax and submit it correctly.

Get the popcorn, this will be interesting.

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 53 of 284
latest reply

@fjbet13 wrote:

The seller does pay the sales tax the buyer does. However, the seller is responsible for collecting the sales tax from the buyer and remitting it to the taxing jurisdiction 

There should be about 100K lawsuits to come as soon as the states try to get businesses outside of there state line to collect this tax.  The compromise will be a flat rate tax for all internet purchases all submitted at one time to the department of revenue.

Which brings up bunch of other problems?

Good Luck Selling!

Message 54 of 284
latest reply

Small sellers may be exempt from collecting and remitting but that doesn't mean Ebay won't have to on their behalf. If Amazon is already collecting and remitting for third party sellers in two States, the requirement for Ebay won't be far behind.

Message 56 of 284
latest reply

@goodluckselling

So Amazon is collecting sales tax for your sales there to PA but Ebay is not? Curiouser and curiouser.

Message 57 of 284
latest reply

it looks like those are the only two states/districts where Amazon has been taxing third party sales. So I guess we know that they have software in place to collect and remit. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/02/amazon-to-start-collecting-sales-tax-for-shipments-to-pennsylvania.h...

Yes as far as I can see.  I print out a monthly report from Amaz and those are the only two locations besides my home state of FLA that shows any taxes.  I submit my own state tax but Amaz collects and submits for those two locations on every transaction.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 58 of 284
latest reply

@the_fancy_fox wrote:

@courtneypmbowie wrote:

I wanna know how the h-e-double hockey sticks we are supposed to figure all this out and implement it. Idiots... they [goverment, courts] never think in realistic practical terms.

We wont, ebay will. I just wonder how many times Ebay will be sued over this. Considering how poorly programming changes go around here, I seriously doubt they can figure out how to collect all that tax and submit it correctly.

Get the popcorn, this will be interesting.

They can't even figure out how to stop the China sellers who charge 25% ST in every freaking state.

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 59 of 284
latest reply

@goodluckselling

So Amazon is collecting sales tax for your sales there to PA but Ebay is not? Curiouser and curiouser.

I know.  I have been wondering quietly for some time?

Good Luck Selling!

Message 60 of 284
latest reply