cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SS# or ITIN?

I got a message from eBay saying that since my sales are picking up they need my social security number or my ITIN before they will send any more payouts.  That's not a problem.

My question is, is my state tax tax ID my ITIN?  What's confusing me is that the page where I'm supposed to enter one or the other says "Provide your full 9-digit SSN or ITIN".  My state tax number is only 8.

Also which one do most seller use for this purpose?

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: SS# or ITIN?

"My question is, is my state tax tax ID my ITIN?"

No.  You say that ID number has only 8 digits.  I assume that number was issued to you by the state of Missouri, so it seems reasonable that it applies only when you are dealing with Missouri state tax issues.

The Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) is issued by the IRS to people in the US who don't qualify for a Social Security Number but are required to have federal identification for federal income tax purposes.  Like a Social Security Number, the ITIN has 9 digits and is formatted as xxx-xx-xxxx.  

Without knowing this kind of info about all US-based eBay sellers, it's impossible to say whether "most [eBay] sellers" use their Social Security Numbers or an ITIN.  I will tell you, however, that I use my Social Security Number.  

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Why don't you just use your Social Security number ?

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

An ITIN is for US residents who are not citizens and cannot get a SSN. For my business accounts ebay asked for my EIN which you can get from the IRS. If you are a sole proprietor then the proper thing to give them is your SSN so that they can report your earnings on a 1099.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

"My question is, is my state tax tax ID my ITIN?"

No.  You say that ID number has only 8 digits.  I assume that number was issued to you by the state of Missouri, so it seems reasonable that it applies only when you are dealing with Missouri state tax issues.

The Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) is issued by the IRS to people in the US who don't qualify for a Social Security Number but are required to have federal identification for federal income tax purposes.  Like a Social Security Number, the ITIN has 9 digits and is formatted as xxx-xx-xxxx.  

Without knowing this kind of info about all US-based eBay sellers, it's impossible to say whether "most [eBay] sellers" use their Social Security Numbers or an ITIN.  I will tell you, however, that I use my Social Security Number.  

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

So your saying the OP isn't an American like 90% of all Ebay Sellers, just using fake addresses lol Donald Trump needs to know about this. They are buttering our bread and stealing our Jelly.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Wow.  You guys are better than Google!  Nothing I read from my search explained specifically what an ITIN was and how and why it was used.

I had an LLC before I retired and understand the FEIN.

Thanks

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@mixedbagmosaic wrote:

Wow.  You guys are better than Google!

Hi @mixedbagmosaic 

You’re absolutely right! That’s why I ask ALL my questions here … and hang around as much as I can.  You can’t ask for more than smart, knowledgeable peeps who like helping others!  😊

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@mixedbagmosaic wrote:

Wow.  You guys are better than Google!  Nothing I read from my search explained specifically what an ITIN was and how and why it was used.

Really?

Google Search - ITIN

First result:

slippinjimmy_1-1707765579300.png

Message 8 of 8
latest reply