cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OH BOY! New fees.......

Just read in the winter seller update that we are getting a new 10 cent per order over $10 fee.  I guess ebay needs the money. 😫

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: OH BOY! New fees.......

have you not noticed the price of everything going up? be thankful its only .10

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

I am not thankful for price increases.  

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

It’s so absurd. eBay does NONE of the work. We write the auctions, do the research, take the pictures, pack and ship. What does eBay actually do besides provide a server? That’s it, they provide a website and host the auctions without any human input on their part.  What is their overhead that can’t be paid for that they have rising costs? A call center and a few 100 employees drinking coffee coming up with nonsense to justify their employment can be covered with 10% of their entire take from their sellers.  

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

the thing is....i rarely even read the details of these updates but today i felt a need to.  10 cents per order doesn't sound like a lot but between the rising shipping costs as well as shipping boxes, it's very hard to turn a profit anymore.  just once wouldn't it be wonderful to open a seller update and see a "hey, we know things are hard out there and so we are reducing fees".....lol, well, a girl can dream

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

Any increase for sellers is not Good News, If you just keep accepting these, They will keep happening, Of course they will keep happening anyway, But that doesn't mean we have to be receptive of them.

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

@elcamino59 wrote:

It’s so absurd. eBay does NONE of the work. We write the auctions, do the research, take the pictures, pack and ship. What does eBay actually do besides provide a server? That’s it, they provide a website and host the auctions without any human input on their part.  What is their overhead that can’t be paid for that they have rising costs? A call center and a few 100 employees drinking coffee coming up with nonsense to justify their employment can be covered with 10% of their entire take from their sellers.  

This is the same mentality that creates the "those office people do nothing but eat donuts and drink coffee all day" mentality from the floor workers.  You seriously have absolutely no idea what it takes to keep a sight light eBay up and running.  If they could do it with 100 employees, rest assured they would do it.  No company wants thousands of employees that they don't need.  If it is so easy, go ahead and make your own site like this.  Let me know when it is up and running.  If it is better than eBay, I will be the first to join.

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

@elcamino59 

If it were that easy why hasn’t anyone including yourself started eBay 2.0?

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

I think we all have better things to complain about than 10 cents. 

Do smokers stop smoking when cigarettes go up 10 cents? No.

Do we stop driving when gas goes up 10 cents? No.

Are we going to stop selling on eBay because fees went up 10 cents? No. 

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

eBay does NONE of the work. We write the auctions, do the research, take the pictures, pack and ship. What does eBay actually do besides provide a server?

Q: Why are you selling here and not on a free site? 
A: Because you know that eBay actually does a lot more that just provide a server. 

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

have you not noticed the price of everything going up? be thankful its only .10

Yes, but the example eBay gave was if a card sold for $25, the fee imposed goes up $0.10.  Anyway we can get the card to sell for $26?  lol.

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

Sorry, I didn’t mean to offend the redcoats. But let’s analyze, I’ve been selling here since 1999, and currently have 24,000 active listings. The process I did to list items in 1999 is the same process as it is in 2024. Nothing has changed for the self sufficient seller who doesn’t need to have their hand held every step of the way. We did it with Turbolister and now the hub, in my case a paid 3rd party program Sixbit. What really has changed to justify going from 5% final value fees back in the 1990s to 12 to 14% fvf. The switch from checks and money orders to PayPal would be worth a percent or two increase, but what else has changed. Tweaking colors and reformatting the search algorithms? Prettying up an excel spreadsheet with a bunch of sales graphs and adding it to the hub? Let’s be real, it’s a server that hosts seller created content and collects fees. I don’t mind paying for the service, but justify the increase in cost. Justify the  12-14% fvf’s. It’s unreasonable especially when I get lectured by folks with a few hundred listings selling items you can get on Amazon. 

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

When eBay raises their fee by 10¢, I raise my price by $1.

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

Exactly!

these are comments I made on another post:

So, they cut 1,000 jobs and then raise seller fees! The nickel & dime system can be very profitable! Play with the math. 

Say eBay does 500,000 sales per day. Probably way more as a global company).

500,000 x .10 = $50,000

and: 

That is kind of the new corporate model across the board. 

Let's raise prices until we see a decline in sales. Then we know we reached our peak. I see this a lot at the grocery store. In the past year, prices were high, then I started seeing a drop in the past 6 months. Now, they are trying to replay the game. 

This even flows over to sporting events, concerts, and so on. 

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

I was guessing that the easiest lever for them to pull would have been to make 3% the new minimum promoted listings amount as that probably would have generated a lot more revenue, so I guess it could have been worse.

Message 15 of 27
latest reply