cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looks Like A Bumpy Road Ahead

Now that eBay has released their Q1 report, sellers may wonder what's ahead for Q2 or Q3? From what I'm reading and watching, even from Lannone himself, it looks a little concerning. If you're struggling now as a seasoned seller, or if you're new to the platform, the next few months (or maybe longer) will most likely be challenging to say the least.  My advice is to prepare proactively instead of facing disappointment reactively. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVYWEyoeti4

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ebay-shares-fall-weak-revenue-202514910.html

https://finance.yahoo.com/video/ebay-etsys-q1-earnings-signaling-160255150.html

Message 1 of 155
latest reply
154 REPLIES 154

Re: Looks Like A Bumpy Road Ahead

Since the subject of this thread is no longer close to what is now being discussed, how about we go ahead and let it die. 😉

Message 136 of 155
latest reply

@farmalljr wrote:

I'm getting a huge chuckle from those who think I paint with a broad brush and I'm just SOOO wrong. LMAO. I'm not wrong. 

There isn't anyone here selling that can't honestly say they don't have items 6 months old, unsold. There are not sellers here who can't say the same about items 12 month old. 

This is the reason sellers sell here, and not a store, because a store that does not make money, goes bankrupt. Because eBay is lax and not just deleting listing that do nothing but waste server space, these hoarders get to advertise the junk buyers are not buying. It gets to sit on the "sellers" shelf, in the closet, fill the spare room, eat up room in the garage, fill the storage unit and the shed. It's called hoarding. The junk isn't selling and "sellers" can't part with it for any less. The only person who sees value in all that unsold junk is the "seller" who swims in a sea of "inventory", AKA JUNK they hoard. 

Yep, all hoardy hoard hoarders.  Doing our thing.  Hoardily.  Keep on doing your chuckling thing.  Whatever you need to feel better about yourself. 

Message 137 of 155
latest reply

@myestate-treasures4u wrote:

Since the subject of this thread is no longer close to what is now being discussed, how about we go ahead and let it die. 😉

I don't know, to me "the bumpy road ahead" is about as wide open a subject as you can get.  I could see this baby going on for 100 pages.  

Message 138 of 155
latest reply

@redlinear wrote:

@luckythewinner wrote:

@edenhallacademy wrote:

You have 322 items and 15k total sold...A Burger KIng employee nets more than you do yearly on eBay. It is so surprising to always see you on a high horse in these comments with such underwhelming items and sales stats.

On my six selling accounts, I sell about the same as InHawaii.

I do this by spending about five hours a week listing and shipping.

That works out to about $55 per hour.

The quickest way to double your sales is to delete half of your listings, open up another account, and list the deleted items there.
It's a shame a person has to have six different ID's to make a wage. 

The poster mentioned that they don't want to pay listing fees so have all of these accounts to spread their items on. It's not that much different than me selling on four platforms. I'm just too lazy to have any more than one ID here.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 139 of 155
latest reply

You have 322 items and 15k total sold...A Burger KIng employee nets more than you do yearly on eBay.

Maybe, but the freedom to run your own business and pay yourself beats being a Burger King employee to pay the government first (and then quitting that $20/hour job (that should be $7/hr) to start selling on eBay).

My 2 cents (less fees) on this thread:  eBay is going through a "Year of Efficiency", right now.  I think eBay should run a Superbowl commercial, or a commercial during a Taylor Swift concert on broadcast TV.....something like that to bring in buyers.  I really liked the $25 coupon for veteran members on eBay to celebrate the site's 25th Anniversary.....sadly, I never saw a $26, $27, $28 coupon, etc.  I also think the "authentication guarantee" limit for sneakers should be raised to a $300.00 minimum anything below that doesn't need it....No.1 reason why I don't sell sneakers anymore when that was brought in.....buyers want their products fast, not passed around to a testing site B4 hand.  Nonetheless, valuation matters, when the stock is cheap enough, I'll buy it.

Message 140 of 155
latest reply

@gurlcat wrote:

@farmalljr wrote:

I'm getting a huge chuckle from those who think I paint with a broad brush and I'm just SOOO wrong. LMAO. I'm not wrong. 

There isn't anyone here selling that can't honestly say they don't have items 6 months old, unsold. There are not sellers here who can't say the same about items 12 month old. 

This is the reason sellers sell here, and not a store, because a store that does not make money, goes bankrupt. Because eBay is lax and not just deleting listing that do nothing but waste server space, these hoarders get to advertise the junk buyers are not buying. It gets to sit on the "sellers" shelf, in the closet, fill the spare room, eat up room in the garage, fill the storage unit and the shed. It's called hoarding. The junk isn't selling and "sellers" can't part with it for any less. The only person who sees value in all that unsold junk is the "seller" who swims in a sea of "inventory", AKA JUNK they hoard. 

Yep, all hoardy hoard hoarders.  Doing our thing.  Hoardily.  Keep on doing your chuckling thing.  Whatever you need to feel better about yourself. 

Why the opinion of a single poster get under your skin so much.  They aren't correct, they just think everything they say is a fact.  Don't give them such power over you.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 141 of 155
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

@redlinear wrote:

@luckythewinner wrote:

@edenhallacademy wrote:

You have 322 items and 15k total sold...A Burger KIng employee nets more than you do yearly on eBay. It is so surprising to always see you on a high horse in these comments with such underwhelming items and sales stats.

The quickest way to double your sales is to delete half of your listings, open up another account, and list the deleted items there.

The poster mentioned that they don't want to pay listing fees so have all of these accounts to spread their items on. It's not that much different than me selling on four platforms. I'm just too lazy to have any more than one ID here.

Having a store is likely less expensive that all the work that goes into managing 4 different IDs with active listing.  But just my opinion.

Message 142 of 155
latest reply

IMHO Ebay has bigger fish to fry right now.  They need to be doing more to stop or at the very least significantly slow down scams on this site by both buyers and sellers.  There are simply too many and that scares good buyers away.  We need to get our hands around this problem before applying some big advertising budget otherwise it will likely just be a waste.  IMHO

Message 143 of 155
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@chapeau-noir wrote:

@redlinear wrote:

@luckythewinner wrote:

@edenhallacademy wrote:

Having a store is likely less expensive that all the work that goes into managing 4 different IDs with active listing.  But just my opinion.

I think one can be quite efficient with a lot of accounts if they have their operations down. It for sure takes organization, but I actually think it's a lot easier to do it all here than spread out all over the internet as I am. I've been tempted to have multiple accounts here, as well, and even tried it for about a year with two IDs, but dropped the other ID - I had been selling on three other platforms before I even started eBay in 2001, and have never been on one single platform - it just feels weird, so maybe it's what one is used to.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 144 of 155
latest reply

@shado-x wrote:

You have 322 items and 15k total sold...A Burger KIng employee nets more than you do yearly on eBay.

Maybe, but the freedom to run your own business and pay yourself beats being a Burger King employee to pay the government first (and then quitting that $20/hour job (that should be $7/hr) to start selling on eBay).

My 2 cents (less fees) on this thread:  eBay is going through a "Year of Efficiency", right now.  I think eBay should run a Superbowl commercial, or a commercial during a Taylor Swift concert on broadcast TV.....something like that to bring in buyers.  I really liked the $25 coupon for veteran members on eBay to celebrate the site's 25th Anniversary.....sadly, I never saw a $26, $27, $28 coupon, etc.  I also think the "authentication guarantee" limit for sneakers should be raised to a $300.00 minimum anything below that doesn't need it....No.1 reason why I don't sell sneakers anymore when that was brought in.....buyers want their products fast, not passed around to a testing site B4 hand.  Nonetheless, valuation matters, when the stock is cheap enough, I'll buy it.

I like the "year of efficiency" - it's better to think of it that way than "lost in the weeds" which is what it feels like to me, and I'd love it if they went all in on efficiency. As it is, they're all excited about AI - OK fine, but they need to fix years of poorly executed coding and their ageing, creaky legacy programming, try to simplify the site (it's just way too complicated - the fee structure alone reads like the federal tax code) so there are not constant glitches, many of them affecting the ability to buy and sell. It would be a big job, I know.

This isn't all shiny-bright like AI, though, and the C-suite likes bright and shiny.

— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 145 of 155
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@gurlcat wrote:

Why the opinion of a single poster get under your skin so much.  They aren't correct, they just think everything they say is a fact.  Don't give them such power over you.

What????    🤣

Message 146 of 155
latest reply

I agree, but with less labor and about $22 bucks they could do it quicker and easier under one account.  Highly likely they can save $22 dollars in their own labor as well as the little discount they get on the FVF.  Four accounts requires 4 different email address to monitor.  Four different log ins too.  I personally think it would be easy to pay that $22 for a basic store in money saved.  Just my humble opinion.

Message 147 of 155
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

I agree, but with less labor and about $22 bucks they could do it quicker and easier under one account.  Highly likely they can save $22 dollars in their own labor as well as the little discount they get on the FVF.  Four accounts requires 4 different email address to monitor.  Four different log ins too.  I personally think it would be easy to pay that $22 for a basic store in money saved.  Just my humble opinion.

I don't know - I'm the one with four platforms (including a basic store here), the other poster has the six accounts here. I would tend to consolidate into one account myself, but sellers have different plans and methods and markets.

— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 148 of 155
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

I don't know - I'm the one with four platforms (including a basic store here), the other poster has the six accounts here. I would tend to consolidate into one account myself, but sellers have different plans and methods and markets.

I wasn't talking about other platforms.  Heck I sell on other platforms too.  I was talking specifically about multiple Ebay selling accounts.  I have two, but I wouldn't want more than that.  My personal choice.  I don't want to have to log in an out or have multiple tabs open on my computer using different browsers so I could monitor all my various accounts.  But again, just my choice.  I'd rather pay the $22.  My time and less aggravation is more important to me.

Message 149 of 155
latest reply

I do fine on here as long as I stay relevant in pricing on the products I sell. I sell a brand name product that is hard to obtain. I am in one of the focused categories they are pushing as well. 

Message 150 of 155
latest reply