cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a new platform... I'm tired

I started selling on eBay in 2003.  The past 17 years have been a roller coaster and the ride is about to end.  I have sold through the changes of charging FVF on shipping, removing my ability to  leave negative feedback for buyers, not being able to have a hyper link in the description, not being able to have a phone number in the description, the buyer is always correct, and being told what and how to sell on-line.  While I have worked through most of this issues the 2 most recent ones are the ones I can no longer look over. 

My first issue is I sold multiple items from my store, in this case the buyer purchased 50 of the same item.  The store item was set up with the first item costing X and each additional costing Y for the shipping.  The buyer happened to reside out of the country so this transaction was being processed through eBays global shipping.  When eBay calculated the customers USA shipping they calculated 50 times the 1 unit price and not 1 unit and 49 times the additional unit cost.  This caused the customer to occur an over payment of $145.06 in incorrect shipping charges.  I credited this amount to their account only to find out eBay did not credit me FVF for the mistake of the over payment.  I called support and they did credit me the 12.5% of the $145.06 credit however I was told that any refund given for any purpose was considered a courtesy and FVF would not be credited automatically.   Needless to say eBay is pocketing the excess sales tax collected and Final Value Fee's in these types of credits.

My second issue to happened today when eBay decided in favor of a buyer who had a parcel lost in the mail.  While I did offer to resend out another parcel the buyer escalated the case... well you all know what happens buyer wins.  So why is this a problem you ask?  Well when the case was opened eBay placed a hold of $10.49 from my account which is normal however they again kept the FVF.  When I checked the original transaction the sale was for $10.49 plus sales tax, eBay withheld the FVF of $1.45 and deposited $9.04 in my account.  When the case was award to the buyer, surprise eBay withdrew $10.49 from my account.  Wait what, they deposited $9.04 and withdrew $10.49 to pay the customer.  So effectively eBay still kept the FVF even though the transaction was not completed.  After 25 mins on the phone and 2 different customer service people they refunded me the $1.45.  Needless to say again eBay is pocketing the FVF on these buyer awarded cases.

Let's think about this... eBay is not issuing any credit of FVF when a seller issues a credit after the sale.  eBay is also not issuing any credit of FVF when a seller looses a case filed by the buyer.  I'm going to use my second example just to perform a quick estimation.  Currently there are about 7 million US sellers on eBay. In my opinion: If each seller experience 1 case a month that eBay awards in the buyers favor, in my case $1.45 ( I'm only selling a $10 item)  times 7 million uses, this equals $10,150,00.00, yes over 10 million in extra revenue then was effectively taken from sellers.  Currently eBay has around 25 million sellers around the world, I will let you calculate the worldwide FVF that is not being credited.

I cannot put any numbers to my first issue, all I can say, in my opinion that it is happening and I'm sure we as sellers again are paying a big price.

Sellers, take note: From what I learned you will not receive a FVF credit automatically on any refund you issue to your buyers.

For the buyers that happen to read this, remember these issues are also your issues.  If eBay isn't willing to correct these types of issue the sellers we be forced to look for other platforms or substantially raise prices. 

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Looking for a new platform... I'm tired

I suppose you could change the structure of your biz based on typical sales history.  Bundle your small parts in quantities people will most likely order to avoid the added shipping miscalculations.  For each type of resistor maybe offer three different quantities in separate listings so the shipping is set for each grouping.

I have looked at four other selling platforms seriously for almost a year and decided to sign up for managed payments after all the complaining I have done since 2019.  I might be rolling the dice but I never have returns and have numerous repeat customers.  I don't depend on the small amount of money made here on ebay so I will choose daily payouts and see how it goes for a few months before my store subscription renews in June.

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

Thank you for comments.

My post is addressing the issues with eBay policies as much as considering leaving the platform.  As stated I have sold a long time on this platform and 30+ years without the internet.  If eBay chooses to withhold money from sellers not based on common sense ethics, I personally don't see sellers sticking with this platform.  Once you have experienced the wrath of eBay policy you will have a clearer vision.

Again thank you for your comment.

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

selling on ebay is definitely a lot like life, it can beat you down. you got to have  a whole lot of tenacity to hang with it for sure

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

Ebay hasn't ever given fvf credits on shipping charges that are refunded to buyer to my knowledge......I started in 2004. 

If you gave the refund....you should get the fvf refunded (not the 30c).......if ebay had to give it, you won't.......

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

Thank you for your comments.

I think you did not fully understood me or maybe I didn't explain clearly.  An international buyer purchased 50 of the same item.  My shipping was setup as $3.49 for the first item and 25 cents for each additional item.  When the customer checked out eBay charged them $174.50 shipping ($3.49 x 50).  The actual shipping charge should have been around $16.00 (FVF on shipping $2).  I credited the customer back $158.50 for the overpayment on shipping.  However when eBay processed the credit they did not refund me the 12.5% FVF against the credit (FVF $158.50 x .125 =  $19.81).    I contacted eBay and I was told that any credit given for any reason is considered a courtesy to the customer and FVF would not be automatically credited.  After discussing this issue with eBay they agreed to refund my FVF on the shipping credit because eBay's system calculated it incorrectly.

When PayPal was handling payments, if I issued a credit of $10 to a customer PayPal would only withdraw 97.1% from my account.  The fees for the credit were not accessed to me. Only $9.71 was deducted and .29 was refund by PayPal.  Then I would call eBay to discuss FVF.  PayPal also adjusted the Sales Tax charged to the customer.

We are fully aware that the 30 cent credit card processing fee was only refundable is certain scenarios.

Again thank you for your comments

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

With your product line,  I would like to know where you end up selling if you leave eBay as diversification is paramount if one platform decides to take a dump on you.   

I am on 2 platforms and thinking of adding another. 

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

@resistorsdirect wrote:

Needless to say eBay is pocketing the excess sales tax collected

What is your evidence for accusing eBay of illegally pocketing the sales tax? 

How do you know they are not remitting it to the entity it was collected on behalf of? 

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

I had them take my money to give to a buyer who never returned the item for almost $ 90.  I leave, but I always come back.

I also have two other stores on two other sites, so I have a lot of places to list.  But eBay is my #1.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 9 of 25
latest reply

I suspect most sellers continue with eBay because their items are selling & getting more money than they believe they can get elsewhere, even with the wrath of policy.

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

"courtesy and FVF would not be credited automatically."  This is true and it is by design. 

I have given refunds on PayPal and the Fees are automatically credit, so why not eBay?

I have been told that eBay had changed their policy and will no longer return the FVF on refunds , even if a person calls and ask for the credit.  Can not say if this is true as I do not have any refunds to request the FVF credit.  When was the last time you were approved for a FVF Credit?

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

I've listened and read all the same trash. We're not in the same boat as the Globalist Trash that destroys your jobs for wealth. They destroy your job and replace it with Technology.

Why has the real economy gone sour, and the stock market climbed? You need to know why. Most Corps that had 100 employees now have 40. The rest are replaced with apps. They've invested $20k for an app, instead of 40 yearly salaries? The bottom line looks great, but now what? How much of it was re-distributed to the top? How much more are Bozos and Musky worth?

When a few can the common people, ie the public for wealth, we're all in the toilet?

We always bailout the same crooked Big Bank Crooks after every crooked mortgage scam, yet the people who ACTUALLY pay taxes get? Not the Big Bank Connected ?

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

When I first started on MP last September, there was an open (and very lively) thread on this topic, but I don't remember the name of it. At any rate, we finally got an answer from an eBay person (Charles) and he said eBay gives FVF credits when full refunds are issued, not partial refunds. He never elaborated on the topic or offered any kind of explanation, but, then again, the messenger rarely does. 

It seems just as crazy now as it did then.

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

Let me say this...

Ebay is a business, and we as sellers cover those costs in ways of fees.

It doesn't matter whether ebay credits it to us in one way or if they take it in another, because one way or another we're going to pay for it.  So fight for this and win, and they'll just take it some other kind of way.  

Because it just doesn't matter, they don't really listen to sellers anyway, it's such a fight to get anything fixed around here it's not even worth making that phone call.  Because so long the seller pays for it, eventually the pain becomes too severe and sellers will cry but ebay will not listen.

The ONLY solution I have found is to raise prices to compensate.

You as a Small Business Owner should know this:
We pass ALL costs on to the consumer.

The higher our costs, the more it costs the buyer.

Because you also have to understand, when it comes to complaints they WILL listen to the buyers.

So let it be the buyer who pays for it, eventually when the pain becomes too severe they will cry and ebay will listen.

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

@waba_wookie wrote:

I've listened and read all the same trash. We're not in the same boat as the Globalist Trash that destroys your jobs for wealth. They destroy your job and replace it with Technology.

Why has the real economy gone sour, and the stock market climbed? You need to know why. Most Corps that had 100 employees now have 40. The rest are replaced with apps. They've invested $20k for an app, instead of 40 yearly salaries? The bottom line looks great, but now what? How much of it was re-distributed to the top? How much more are Bozos and Musky worth?

When a few can the common people, ie the public for wealth, we're all in the toilet?

We always bailout the same crooked Big Bank Crooks after every crooked mortgage scam, yet the people who ACTUALLY pay taxes get? Not the Big Bank Connected ?

I think you're in the wrong forum.

Message 15 of 25
latest reply