cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local Pick Up Not Responding

I sold an item and the buyer chose local pickup and paid immediately for it. I have contacted him 3 times about when he would like to pick the item up, if he is still interested in the item, and if he realized he chose local pick up and would rather have me ship the item instead. He hasn't responded to any of my messages.  My question is, how long do I hold onto this without hearing from him? It's been over a week. Should I cancel the sale and refund him the money or just keep waiting for his reply?

Thanks, 

Lisa

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Did you check his location to see if it seems feasible for him to actually pick it up?

Sometimes buyers don't understand how local pickup works.

I'd give him another day or two and then message him and tell him you are cancelling.

Use "problem with buyer's address" as your reason so you don't get a ding.  

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Cancel, and refund. In the future make it clear that local pick-up transactions are to be made cash in hand for BOTH you and the buyer's protection.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

I'd wait a few more days.   Make sure to pick problem with buyers address as the reason for the cancellation so buyer can't figure out how to leave feedback.   Block the buyer while you're at it.  If you have local pick up in other listings reconsider and get rid of it.   Your time is worth more than sitting around for hours waiting for some jerk to show up.  

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Local pickup can be a problem, buyers are confused and think it is free shipping sometimes.

At one time I was putting everything with a local pickup option but that caused to much buyer confusion

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

... and then when they get to your house they want to use the bathroom and see everything else you have for sale.   Make sure if this transaction does go through you meet them in a parking lot or in front of the PO or PD.  

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

... and make sure to have a nice selection of beverages to offer as they'll be thirsty.   Twenty years ago they would have wanted to use your phone too.  

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@chanticleerantiques wrote:

I have contacted him 3 times about when he would like to pick the item up, if he is still interested in the item, and if he realized he chose local pick up and would rather have me ship the item instead.

I would never offer to ship a local pickup item.

eBay does not have a mechanism for collecting additional payments from a buyer, and trying to do so would be a violation of eBay policy.

You have contacted the buyer three times with no response. You have the money, the item, and are not out of pocket for shipping costs.

So IMHO the ball is in his court and I would not do anything.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

@toysaver wrote:

Block the buyer while you're at it.  If you have local pick up in other listings reconsider and get rid of it.   Your time is worth more than sitting around for hours waiting for some jerk to show up.  

Or maybe the buyer is in the hospital.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Thank you so much for all the advice!

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

"... and then when they get to your house they want to use the bathroom and see everything else you have for sale.   Make sure if this transaction does go through you meet them in a parking lot or in front of the PO or PD. "

Ive had several pick up items, never had anything like that happen! Buyers were prompt, polite, and paid in cash as I asked them to. 

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 11 of 11
latest reply