cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I won as a seller in a dispute and get $1050 back (update of my previous post)

This is an update of my previous post. Check out the original post to see the full details of what happened earlier (eBay took the side of the buyer again).  Here is the short version of the story. I sold a laboratory vacuum pump for $1000, the buyer claimed that he received some books, which is obviously **bleep**. Despite all the evidence I provided to prove that I sent the pump, Bay ruled in favor of the buyer,  took my money of about $1050, and refunded the buyer. 

Here is the update as to how I got my money back.

After all the appeals through normal means failed (chat, email with eBay reps, etc.), I started preparing a small claim lawsuit against eBay. I first filed a police report because I believed that the buyer was committing fraud. Police came and did some recording. They were frank that they would not do any actual investigation but provided a case number, which is good enough for me. I then sent a Notice of Dispute letter to eBay's litigation department. This is a procedure that you need to complete before actually suing eBay, based on my understanding of the eBay police documents.  After a month of the delivery of the letter, I did not hear from eBay and filed a claim at my local small claim court earlier this week. Today, I received a full refund from eBay. It is not because of my small claim lawsuit, since my local court probably hasn't received the application yet, but as a response to my Notice of Dispute letter. They just moved too slowly. 

Here is my takeaway from this experience. I agree with most sellers's belief that eBay almost always rules in favor of the buyer, but sellers shouldn't give up. In my case, the threat of a lawsuit is enough pressure for eBay to take it seriously. I honestly don't think eBay could win in court, and they probably know it too, so settling outside of the court was probably a business decision. They have to hire a lawyer, and may still lose, then pay the refund if this goes to court. From my experience dealing with various businesses in disputes where they clearly did something wrong, the business often adopts the tactic of ignoring you and hoping that you give up. Honestly, it is not a bad strategy because more often than not, we give up and the business saves money. So it is all business/financial decisions, ruling in favor of the buyer initially or refunding me later. If we want to get our money back, make it so that it makes no business sense for eBay to keep ignoring us. Sure, pursuing takes a lot of time, which is money for any business; I spent a lot of time in this case already. So it is your decision whether your loss is worth the time. I hope that at least my case gives you some confidence that you could win in the end. 

Hope this helps, and hopefully, as more sellers fight for their rights, we can finally get eBay to reevaluate their "buyers always win" practice. 

Message 1 of 62
latest reply
61 REPLIES 61

Re: I won as a seller in a dispute and get $1050 back (update of my previous post)

Good for you! I’m glad that it all worked out for you.  
Happy Holidays 

Message 2 of 62
latest reply

Re: I won as a seller in a dispute and get $1050 back (update of my previous post)

I'm not very familiar with the law but wouldn't it by the buyer that you should sue? 

Message 3 of 62
latest reply

I am glad you won. So nice to hear this. Bravo!

I am currently fighting an 8 month dispute with a chargeback from a bank and eBay. US law allows 120 days but this is twice as many days.

Although you were able to file a police report in your state...in San Francisco we cannot file a police report online or go to a station. States have different laws as well as cities. It took me 2 days to have the police to come out to file a police report on a stolen bicycle so I could use my insurance.

Message 4 of 62
latest reply

So this happened despite the fact that part of the agreement that every eBay seller signs says something like "I agree not to engage in litigation against eBay"? Interesting.  

Message 5 of 62
latest reply

Congrats on a refund. However, in the under agreement you agree to abide to when using the site, you agree to binding arbitration in California. Just a heads up that they would have had your suit dismissed & moved to that forum.

Be aware as well - just the receipt of that suit does violate the user terms & they could in response just terminate your user account. Using ebay is not a right, but a privledge under current law.

Be sure to keep that in mind.

Message 6 of 62
latest reply

My 2 cents;

ebay gave you a 'courtesy reversal' ONLY because you got a Police Report.

Don't count on it again.

Also note; a 'threat' of an $1100 lawsuit SELDOM scares a $7,000,000,000 company. 

Message 7 of 62
latest reply

@alternative_lab_source 

Glad things went in your favor. 

Happy Holidays.

Message 8 of 62
latest reply

I don't have physical evidence to prove that the buyer is lying, so it's going to be 'your words against my words' in court. 

Message 9 of 62
latest reply

Sorry to hear that you are dealing with this. Hope it gets resolved soon. 

Message 10 of 62
latest reply

I don't think there is anything in the agreement saying " I agree not to engage in litigation against eBay". My understanding is that we only agree not to file a class action lawsuit against eBay. 

Message 11 of 62
latest reply

Where in the agreement does it say I agree to binding arbitration in California?

FVF from my store during the past 12 months was over $10,000, so it is eBay's loss if they lose one of their top sellers. 

eBay is a business, and they do things that make business sense. That is my whole point. 

Message 12 of 62
latest reply

Sure, $1100 lawsuit is not going to scare a $7B company, but it is bad business, and no business gets to that size by consistently making bad business decisions. 

Message 13 of 62
latest reply

Just a guess here, but I'm thinking the decision was made by one employee, in a position they got by understanding eBay policies very well, and given the wiggle room to use common sense.   Even if it's true that eBay could have gotten the case dismissed because of whatever user policy, that doesn't mean you wouldn't have then proceeded to make a big public stink about it, and THAT is definitely something they don't need more of.  

Also there's just the sheer logic of who's more likely to be honest in this case -the buyer (whose history I don't know) or a seller who not only earned eBay $10k in FVF's in the past year, but also went to the trouble of filing a police report and taken the precise (researched) next step toward litigation, by sending them that letter.  Who would do that if they really sent a buyer a box of books?  Actual crooks shrivel against a fight when the only remaining options involve police.  

Message 14 of 62
latest reply

I think they absolutely do protect the seller on here in a case like this when the seller does the leg work to dispute the case properly.

Message 15 of 62
latest reply