cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guaranteed Delivery looks like a good thing!

So after attending both live discussions and Weekly Chat, Guaranteed Delivery looks to me like it doesn't have a downside. Might work a little better if I lived in Omaha instead of Los Angeles since distance can play a part, but otherwise I can't wait until it goes live for me!

They didn’t say it was your fault. They said they blame you.
Message 1 of 143
latest reply
142 REPLIES 142

Re: Guaranteed Delivery looks like a good thing!

@nawlinsron2wrote:
Has ebay ever defined "delivery"? Does "delivery time" start on purchase date or ship date?

...and handling time. If an east coast seller sells an item to a west coast buyer at 11PM PT (2AM next day their time), when does the handling time clock start?

For your example the seller would need to send that package out that morning, since 3 AM is the cutoff for east coast sellers. Anything before 3 AM need to go out that morning. After 3 AM can go out the next day.

Delivery time is calculated by the seller's handling time and historical information about the seller's shipping times (supposedly) 

I watched the webinar yesterday, and this was explained in some detail.  GD searches will be heavily filtered using the buyer's zip code, the seller's zip code,  the shipping method and prior delivery time information of the seller.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 106 of 143
latest reply

@gopetersenwrote:

I'm trying to figure out how eBay is going to pay for this.

Way cheaper than building "fulfillment centers" and staffing same!

They didn’t say it was your fault. They said they blame you.
Message 107 of 143
latest reply

@coffeebean832wrote:

@*eponymous*wrote:

@coffeebean832wrote:

If a seller is in the handling time program and meets their handling time then eBay will cover it.

If a seller is in the door-to-door program and the delivery is late then the seller is responsible starting January 1st.

@coffeebean832

If a seller is in the door-to-door program does not ship within their handling time and the delivery is late then the seller is responsible starting January 1st.

With the door-to-door program sellers are guaranteeing their delivery date. They are responsible even if they meet their handling time.

http://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/shipping/ebay-guaranteed-delivery.html#m22_tb_a1__2

The door-to-door guarantee *snip for brevity*

You are misstating the policy which btw was well-explained by the Blue.

Until the end of this year, eBay will pay regardless of seller fault.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 108 of 143
latest reply

Padded Flat Rate is also missing.  We use those a lot. The regular FR envelope is a different thing.   And who would think to include Media Mail, for crying out loud?

So, how familiar with multi-faceted shipping are the people making these lists?

~M

Message 109 of 143
latest reply

@southern*sweet*teawrote:

@tellmemamawrote:

This past Sunday I realized I was completely out of clear shipping tape.  Usually I get it at the flea market for $1.00 a roll but the weather was terrible so I didn't want to go without knowing for sure if the guy selling it might be there.  I did a search on eBay and while I expected it to be more expensive, the earliest it would arrive from any seller would be either today or tomorrow provided I ordered right then.

For the heck of it, I checked Amazon.  Not only were they cheaper than here, but they were not much more per roll more than my flea market tape but triple the length.  Plus for Prime members they were offering free same day delivery.  I laughed and ordered from them.  The package arrived two hours later.  On a Sunday.

No matter what they do, eBay will NEVER be able to compete with that.

I don't know how people get so lucky buying from Amz. I'm waiting on my dog's food right now. We usually order from Walmart, but they were OOS. On 23 March I ordered from Amz, choosing Amz directly instead of a 3P seller because the price included shipping. The estimated delivery date was 30 March, which was fine.  As of today's date, 29 Mar, my order still hasn't even been processed.  Now the estimated date is 2-5 April. I wonder how much longer they're going to sit on that order before they ship it?

It's always been that way for me over there. If you don't pay to play, they get around to shipping your order when they want.

Yeah same here. I’ve never had same day delivery and a lot of my orders take 1-3 days to just be sent out. I don’t get many items within 2 days and I am by a major city! I have the same luck with Wallyworld too. Their 2 day guarantee appears to be a false advertisement because I ordered something Sunday night and the product page had the 2 day shipping banner. The cart gave a date of 3/30 and check gave a date of  April 2nd! So it went from 5 business days to 6! 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 110 of 143
latest reply

Maybe I've been lucky but I've never had any delays with Amazon orders.  I'm sure being a Prime member ordering directly from them instead of 3P sellers helps.  Plus I'm in a metropolitan area with several fulfillment warehouses nearby.  But that still doesn't negate their ability to provide same day delivery. 

Checkmate, eBay.

Joe

Message 111 of 143
latest reply

I forgot to say that even with the impossible to match delivery goal, I don't see the point of signing up for yet another way to be penalized.  Granted, it doesn't look like sellers will be responsible provided they adhere to their handling times.  I just think it's a stupid idea to absolutely promise buyers something that can't be promised absolutely. 

And one way or another, all sellers are going to suffer big time.  Maybe not directly with defects or negative feedback but after a few hundred thousand of these "courtesy refunds" from eBay, you can guarantee fees will go up somehow to make up for them.  Or an exodus of already too few buyers who are tired of their expectations not being met.

There are more than enough ways to punish eBay sellers.  Who needs another?

Joe

Message 112 of 143
latest reply

How many people here, considering this venue's past....would say as of right now they trust these people to have changed and that this will NOT be one more instance where they burn you YET AGAIN? Who here feels that there have been serious changes and that this will be totally different? If so why? What changed?

Message 113 of 143
latest reply

@tellmemama wrote:

I forgot to say that even with the impossible to match delivery goal, I don't see the point of signing up for yet another way to be penalized.  Granted, it doesn't look like sellers will be responsible provided they adhere to their handling times.  I just think it's a stupid idea to absolutely promise buyers something that can't be promised absolutely. 

And one way or another, all sellers are going to suffer big time.  Maybe not directly with defects or negative feedback but after a few hundred thousand of these "courtesy refunds" from eBay, you can guarantee fees will go up somehow to make up for them.  Or an exodus of already too few buyers who are tired of their expectations not being met.

There are more than enough ways to punish eBay sellers.  Who needs another?

That's my thinking too.  We won't be held responsible...until we are.  Remember dsrs wouldn't be held against us...until they were.  Tracking returns were just for our benefit...but they now say they may lower our visibility because of them.

Message 114 of 143
latest reply

@*eponymous*wrote:

@coffeebean832wrote:

@*eponymous*wrote:

@coffeebean832wrote:

If a seller is in the handling time program and meets their handling time then eBay will cover it.

If a seller is in the door-to-door program and the delivery is late then the seller is responsible starting January 1st.

@coffeebean832

If a seller is in the door-to-door program does not ship within their handling time and the delivery is late then the seller is responsible starting January 1st.

With the door-to-door program sellers are guaranteeing their delivery date. They are responsible even if they meet their handling time.

http://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/shipping/ebay-guaranteed-delivery.html#m22_tb_a1__2

The door-to-door guarantee *snip for brevity*

You are misstating the policy which btw was well-explained by the Blue.

Until the end of this year, eBay will pay regardless of seller fault.

My post was correct. There are two different Guaranteed Delivery programs sellers can choose from: the handling time program or the door-to-door program. You can reference the link provided above to see the differences. Brian T's post had information about the handling time program and my post was in response / in addition to that mentioning that the door-to-door program is different. You can see his follow up post here.

My post did specify that sellers in the door-to-door program are not responsible for the costs until Jan 1st (because eBay is covering expenses until the end of the year).

If you still disagree with what I wrote please ask Brian T to clarify for you any part of the Guaranteed Delivery information I provided that you think is incorrect. I am moving on from this exchange.

Message 115 of 143
latest reply

Simply calling something "Guaranteed Delivery" is setting you up for angry buyers.

Message 116 of 143
latest reply

@fern*woodwrote:

I can't believe ebay is allowing USPS select ground and other ground services in the GD program.  I don't see how those can ever be guaranteed, because they sure aren't fast and I thought that was the perception they wished to promote.   

If it's shipping to the same state or one state over it may meet the 3 day criteria. Those listings offering only ground shipping would only be shown to buyers who were within that delivery zone if the GD filter is used.

Message 117 of 143
latest reply

@coffeebean832 wrote:

@fern*woodwrote:

I can't believe ebay is allowing USPS select ground and other ground services in the GD program.  I don't see how those can ever be guaranteed, because they sure aren't fast and I thought that was the perception they wished to promote.   

If it's shipping to the same state or one state over it may meet the 3 day criteria. Those listings offering only ground shipping would only be shown to buyers who were within that delivery zone if the GD filter is used.

Maybe if it goes next door and I carry it there myself. Smiley Happy

Message 118 of 143
latest reply

@tellmemamawrote:

Maybe I've been lucky but I've never had any delays with Amazon orders.  I'm sure being a Prime member ordering directly from them instead of 3P sellers helps.  Plus I'm in a metropolitan area with several fulfillment warehouses nearby.  But that still doesn't negate their ability to provide same day delivery. 

Checkmate, eBay.

I am a prime member as well and order from amazon not 3P sellers whenever possible. My orders ship from the Vegas warehouse, 4-5 days for delivery is the norm these days 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 119 of 143
latest reply

@missjen831wrote:

@tellmemamawrote:

Checkmate, eBay.

I am a prime member as well and order from amazon not 3P sellers whenever possible. My orders ship from the Vegas warehouse, 4-5 days for delivery is the norm these days 

I am too, and if I select 2 day delivery, that's what I get.

But usually I select the free slower shipping. which usually gives me credits for media and/or pantry.

I'm not ordering a lung or kidney. I don't need it yesterday.