cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay fee more than 13.25% for a trading card?

Hi everyone, 

I'm new to selling trading cards on ebay and was wondering if someone could help me understand the transaction fee.  I was expecting a 13.25% for selling this card, but it's more like 22%. What am I missing? Thanks in advance!

Screenshot_20240502_191013_eBay.jpg

Message 1 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

Re: Ebay fee more than 13.25% for a trading card?

Got it. But if I have the buyer pay for shipping, it's my understanding (based on what dbfolks shared above), that the 13.25% DOES include the shipping cost.

Message 31 of 40
latest reply

I've had to use the ESE insurance a couples times and have never had a problem.

Message 32 of 40
latest reply

Awesome, that's good to know!

Message 33 of 40
latest reply

@ketchumcollective wrote:

Deceptive is too harsh of a word. It was unclear to me at the time. I assumed the phrase "List up to 250 items for FREE" means I'm not being charged to list my item. I knew about the 13.25% cut that they would take from the sale but I didn't realize there was an additional .30 standard fee. It's my fault for not knowing that going into it. I indeed should have done more research but it's been great having these conversations and learning other things along the way. "Transaction Fee" on the order form doesn't exactly break it down. You're right though, it's spelled out in other places. 

Just to be clear, I'm not complaining about the fees. I just wanted to understand them, which I do now, thanks to everyone's help/advice.

Yes, as I said early assuming stuff will more often work against you.  The statement was clear, you just wanted it to say something different, so that is the way you read it.  That isn't Ebay's fault as the statement is clear.  However what you said above is EXACTLY what the statement by Ebay means.

You weren't charged to list the items.  

The per transaction fee is shown / stated on the Seller Fee policy page as well as you can see it in the detailed deductions taken from your MP account on the right side of the Summary page.

https://www.ebay.com/sh/fin/summary

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 34 of 40
latest reply

Got it. But if I have the buyer pay for shipping, it's my understanding (based on what dbfolks shared above), that the 13.25% DOES include the shipping cost.

Don't confuse two separate things.  

First the fees you pay to Ebay are based on the total amount a buyer pays on the transaction, which is normally the product, shipping and sales tax if it applies.  Plus you pay a 30 cent per transaction fee for a sale under $10 or 40cents for over $10.

So now the buyer has paid YOU for shipping.  You now need to purchase the actual shipping for the item and you have to pay the carrier.

Two separate things.  The cost you pay for the shipping is an additional cost of sales for your little business.

Just a little thought for your consideration.  If shipping costs you 64 cents, you need to charge more than that to the buyer to cover your fees to Ebay and shipping supplies.  You can put that cost onto what you charge the buyer for shipping or you can roll the cost into the costs you use to then develop your item price, but it all needs to be covered or you won't make any money and you might end up paying your buyers to buy your stuff.

For example: what I charge my buyers for 1lb or under shipping media mail is $4.99.  The actual cost to me is $4.13.  

Message 35 of 40
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

For astute individuals, it doesn't take long to realize the TRUE cost of selling here,

Very true.  Ebay is transparent about it's fees, so just learning what the selling fees are will be a huge help.  Also learning about shipping and carriers is a good thing to learn.  As well as how to package your items and the cost of doing it.

especially given they rush you through the listing and signing up process without making you go through a tutorial that would likely make the most astute people rethink selling here.

What are you talking about?  Ebay doesn't "rush" you through listing something.  That would be the person creating the listing that is rushing themselves and that has NOTHING to do with Ebay.  I can't tell you how many times over the years I was creating a listing, got called away so I saved it as a draft so I could return to it at a later time to complete it.  All sellers have the ability to do this, even you.

Wow here we go again, Mam's misinterpretations and rantings that go along with it due to... something...

What are YOU taking about???? How you or I or anyone else who has sold here for 20 years are or are not rushed through creating a listing????? Really???? Thats not what EVERYONE ELSE is talking about here! We are talking about NEW USERS and YES!!!!! they rush you through listing without giving you ANY information about ANYTHING...

Try going through the motions of seeing what its like for new users to start here - You are pushed right to the SELL NOW Button and as SOON as you click it, you are at the listing tool - Nothing about fees, nothing about Nothing - Get this...It even tells you about how(paraphrased) "we'll worry about getting paid and signing up later" without ANY indication of the PAINFUL and INTRUSIVE Managed Payments sign-up process...

My God - Please, I have asked you not to respond to me in the past - If you want to use what I said in your posts whatever, but PLEASE do not respond to my posts with your supercilious attitudes based on your never-ending misinterpretations...

Message 36 of 40
latest reply

I only responded to your post, not everyone else.

Message 37 of 40
latest reply

No, I didn't want it to say something different. I simply misunderstood it. It's not that big of a deal.

Message 38 of 40
latest reply

No, I didn't want it to say something different. I simply misunderstood it. It's not that big of a deal.

Happens to us all.  You are terrific.

Message 39 of 40
latest reply

If you sell something for $1 and have the buyer pay for shipping, which may be $1, then the TOTAL SALE is....wait for it.....

$2

Then, you pay the FEE for $2. 

$2 x 13.25% would be .27c PLUS the .35c 'transaction fee' for a total FEE cost of .63c.

So, you GET $1.37 ($2 MINUE .63c).....but....

wait for it....

YOU then pay for THAT Shipping Amount that YOU charged the customer.

So, $1.37 minus .64c (or whatever your 'shipping cost' is) is what you are left with

73c

But, that FEE is still 13.25% of the TOTAL- as clearly shown when you created the listing

FVF.jpg

It is really quite simple. 

Message 40 of 40
latest reply