cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EBAY Sellers Policy Needs to Change!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I dont sell hardly anything on eBay and in fact like many of you I dont use it much other these days for a variety of reasons like I used to. But after now reading more of these community posts and going thru a recent experience I can say that eBay selling policies need to change to help protect sellers. I will not be selling after this experience anymore and thankfully nothing gravely important to me. After a recent post heres what I took away minimally below. I would strongly urge sellers to sell significantly HIGHER than what eBAY now charges on listings and honestly saw NO benefit except them profiting on fees.

IMO, If eBAY is to remain in business and grow, they need to think harder on keeping the sellers equally happy to ensure they are protected on returns and have complete control of their destiny. EBAY does not moderate or mitigate on your behalf in any reasonable lengths and forces sellers to do all the work so why impose on the sellers in the first place! Sellers should be able to list as they wish on terms that they are comfortable with without eBAY interfering. It’s a bait and switch if you ask me and falsely leaving the impression that sellers are in control when they are not with this eBAY buyers guarantee (which also BTW needs reforming). For example, buyers need to show strong evidence of damage, defects etc immediately with photos, videos or vendor support tickets for example to show good faith before being allowed to return. 

1. Ebay makes a profit no matter what the outcome. They are not a “fudiciary” where they make $ when you do. If you take a loss (like I did) because of their return and shipping policies eBAY doesn’t take a hit.  Sellers are forced to accept returns regardless of the buyers reason to return. This isnt Amazon!

2. The listing platform is all they stand behind but the activities are not something they govern even if they tell you they are monitoring it.  The automated process of selling and return policies are enforced thru the application and sellers dont have any choice but to conform to what eBAY feels is fair which is essentially the buyer is always right … even if you state returns are not accepted you will take a loss on the return shipping alone. Oh btw, eBAYs app does nothing to help sellers separate out shipping costs on the sale that the buyer should be paying for if thats what your listing requires. 

3. I had posted an item that had 2 units and eBAY treats it as ONE item. Selling a “package” deal of multiple units in one ITEM is not advised b/c eBAY doesn’t see it that way. You’re more likely to take a loss and probably scammed by buyers who take advantage of the situation. When a buyer wants to return a unit of that “item” posted, there is NO way to get that item back unless you pay for shipping or are forced to return the entire item consisting of however many units. 

4. EBAY leaders and agents provide different guidance and at times the wrong answers. On my first call into my listing and after becoming aware of a buyer who wanted to return upon hours of receiving it, and refusing to accept advice to get the units in the item working, I was told not to worry and eBAY wont force me to process a return. Well it turned out that she (agent) was WRONG and was reminded of the eBay Buyers Guarantee. I also find that the leaders are not trained except to remind sellers of how the app should behave and pushes the onus on the seller vs understanding the potential abuse happening in black and white. Buyers are not forced to provide ANY EVIDENCE of items that are defective, broken, etc. even if you know it was shipped in working and undamaged order. 

5. EBAY leaders are not leaders on many cases Ive seen alone this week on this sale alone. They often dont provide any meaningful guidance and do not provide consistent guidance whatsoever. Each leader I spoke to blamed the previous for false or wrong information and took no accountability. This is poor training and leadership at its core. 

6. Another example of sellers gap: Any solid business for example shouldn’t be providing refunds to buyers automatically and closing the issue before the seller receiving the defective item. Did you know that eBAY closes the issue and considers it resolved BEFORE the seller receives the defective item? Unacceptable and shows the lack of accountability that eBAY encourages and introduces (knowingly and unknowingly)

I hope this feedback helps and reinforces what other sellers are seeing today. EBAY is not Amazon and is a haven of sellers and buyers who are governed by an application platform that hasn’t evolved with todays practices. This must change or I will be closing my account and find other means to sell safely and securely and should be in control of the business I choose to transact upon. Ebay should not have any control of that and imposing what they feel is appropriate unless its state or federal law governed.  Would love to hear other sellers feedback!  

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Sorry you had a specific problem........if you explain it succinctly.......we might be able to help........

Extrapolating one experience to apply to all may not help a particular situation.....or foster understanding as to what went wrong.....

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Sellers should be able to list as they wish on terms that they are comfortable with without eBAY interfering

eBay used to be like that and buyers got ripped off left, right and center. I was ripped off by sellers in the early days far more than I am ripped off by buyers now.

buyers need to show strong evidence of damage, defects etc immediately with photos, videos or vendor support tickets for example to show good faith before being allowed to return

It's a nice sentiment but buyers who lie about returns would have no problem damaging the item and taking a picture if that was necessary.Or they would just file a payment dispute.

Ebay makes a profit no matter what the outcome

If there is a return and refund, eBay refunds most of the fees. And I doubt the 30 cents they do keep does even covers their payment transaction costs. They would make more profit by denying the return.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

I agree with everything you’ve outlined. Honest sellers are hung out to dry on this platform now. I feel like a piñata 

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

Sellers should be able to list as they wish on terms that they are comfortable with without eBAY interfering

eBay used to be like that and buyers got ripped off left, right and center. I was ripped off by sellers in the early days far more than I am ripped off by buyers now.

DITTO.  Sellers could, and did, send any rubbish or nothing at all and all I could do as a buyer was grin and bear it, lose my money, lose my time. eBay insisted it was "just a venue" and intervened in no way.  I bought nothing from eBay for nearly three years after the third serious rip-off I experienced here.  If eBay had not introduced the MBG, there would be no eBay now.

Newer users just do not understand the "wild west" days of eBay and why changes had to be made to try to somewhat regulate seller behavior.   Has it gone too far?  Maybe, but it sure as heck cannot go back to what it was.

-

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:
DITTO.  Sellers could, and did, send any rubbish or nothing at all and all I could do as a buyer was grin and bear it, lose my money, lose my time.-

And don't forget that after you got ripped off, if you left a negative for the seller he left a negative for you in return. Because that was permitted at the time! 

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

IMO, If eBAY is to remain in business and grow, they need to think harder on keeping the sellers equally happy to ensure they are protected on returns and have complete control of their destiny.

No seller anywhere has complete control of his destiny.  

Federal, state, county, and municipal rules, regulations, and requirements must be met, and they can change with little notice, leaving a seller scrambling to meet them.  Suppliers and vendors can wreck the best-laid plans of any seller at any moment.  The national and world economies affect every seller.  Demographics shift.  Buying habits change.  Today's hottest item is a dreg on the market tomorrow. 

I could go on and on. 

The point is that a seller has "complete control" over maybe 25% of his "destiny," and that 25% is what he must concentrate on. 

-

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

@Anonymous  wrote:  " ... Would love to hear other sellers feedback!"

Brief story but a good point: years ago I had occasion to call eBay's Trust and Safety Department.  This was back in the days when the 1-800 number worked and in most cases you got someone actually at eBay HQ on the line.  

After concluding our business I asked the T&S rep about the issues shared here AND what % they represented compared to ALL transactions ... keep in mind this would be situations posted by BOTH Buyers and Sellers ... they shared that it was "about" 2% of all transactions.  

On a certain level the old phrase "no news is good news" applies and we seldom hear about the millions and millions and millions of successful transactions on everything under the sun that happen on eBay.  We've had some bogus returns filed against us over the years including the old switch-a-rooskie where the Buyer sends back something other than what they purchased, bogus damage claims, etc.  

We chalk that kind of thing up to being part of doing business.  This type of thing is NOT limited to eBay and is NOT limited to just online sales.  

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

"This must change or I will be closing my account and find other means to sell safely and securely and should be in control of the business I choose to transact upon. "

Im sure Ebay will miss you.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

I completely agree with Maxine. Before the MBG came into being, I was stiffed on three occasions on shipping, a restocking fee for a bootleg and an out-of-region DVD. For me, buying on e-Bay was a three strikes and I was out. I did not execute another purchase until the MBG was instituted.

To anyone for whom selling on this platform is unacceptably frustrating, irritating and/or life interfering, exiting is  viable option.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

You are presenting a lucid, and well thought out post. Realizing you are frustrated, that is commendable. Just a few points though, in addition to the remarks from some long-time players here....

"...Did you know that eBAY closes the issue and considers it resolved BEFORE the seller receives the defective item?..." 

I did not know this. The only 2 times a return has happened I received the item back, issued a refund, and resold the item......ebay reversed the fees (except the .30 transaction fee)

"...EBAY leaders and agents provide different guidance and at times the wrong answers..."

Agreed, but what is a leader? (I know what an agent is)

"...becoming aware of a buyer who wanted to return upon hours of receiving it, and refusing to accept advice to get the units in the item working,..."

Once a buyer makes up their mind they don't want it, almost nothing you do will convince them to keep it. Even if the platform sides with you they can go to their Credit Card and initiate a dreaded chargeback which you almost always will lose. (and it is almost out of ebay's hands)

The new online culture is all about the ease of returns....it is that way and will continue to be that way.

You, as a buyer, expect it...

You, as a seller, need to adapt to it...

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

@maxine*j wrote:
DITTO.  Sellers could, and did, send any rubbish or nothing at all and all I could do as a buyer was grin and bear it, lose my money, lose my time.-

And don't forget that after you got ripped off, if you left a negative for the seller he left a negative for you in return. Because that was permitted at the time! 

Yes!  I had forgotten that ugly little bit, too.

-

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

@monica-sells wrote:

...  The new online culture is all about the ease of returns....it is that way and will continue to be that way.

You, as a buyer, expect it...

You, as a seller, need to adapt to it...

And, really, it has been that since the late 19th Century with catalogue sales, of which on-line sales are a version.  "If not completey satisfied, your money will be cheerfully refunded.  No questions asked."   So said Mr. Ward and Mr. Sears and Mr. Roebuck, et al. 

How else could you get people to take the risk of buying from strangers and relying just on pictures of the goods?  How else could you get them to part with hard-earned money on something they could not see with their own eyes and have in their own hands?  

-

Message 13 of 13
latest reply