cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do many ask themselves why put in so much effort?

Added a listing with 22 images.  All of the time & effort to make sure a seller can give as much detail as possible to the potential buyers.   Potential buyers?  Does not seem worth it at all when, after 5 days, no views.  How many views will appear in a month?  3?  I won't be adding anything to sell that requires more than about 5 minutes of my time.  I know....I know.  If I sell what is in demand, I'll get more sales & views.  Blah, blah, blah.  lol  Posted an item on eBay that does not have a single view in over 2 weeks but the same thing has 100 on Marketplace.  Where do you think it will sell?

Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Re: Do many ask themselves why put in so much effort?

@sakic92710  You answered your own question. You have a (relatively) positive attitude about FB. You have a decidedly negative attitude about ebay. 

Is whatever money you make from ebay really worth it, when it is clearly taking a toll on you emotionally? 

Message 31 of 47
latest reply

I got caught with the alleged 'hot toy' for one season, but luckily realised my mistake in time to be able to return all bit 2 (which I still have listed 4 years later LOL)

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 32 of 47
latest reply

"That's funny.  I don't remember mentioning any particular item that I'm selling.  I guess I'll have to do an edit. "

No need for that, your history on the board speaks for itself. 

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 33 of 47
latest reply

@whatmorefabric wrote:

Collectables are just like any other commodity. 

Some items are in demand and others are not.     I don't think there is much demand for OP items.  

Nailed it.

Message 34 of 47
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

The five minute rule is nonsense. Try changing your attitude instead. 

Or, even more productively, source better inventory that isn't the very definition of "long tail."

Message 35 of 47
latest reply

Is this another one of those "highly desirable" LIons Club banners?

Message 36 of 47
latest reply

It sold only after a few days without being 'highly desirable'   As usual, no idea of what your point is here.

Message 37 of 47
latest reply

As usual, no idea why you keep posting all these pointless complaints.

Message 38 of 47
latest reply

Why would I even feel the need to 'advertise' on the boards when most of what I get back is negativity or attempted insults?  I do not expect anyone in this community to purchase from me.

Message 39 of 47
latest reply

@sakic92710 wrote:

Added a listing with 22 images.  All of the time & effort to make sure a seller can give as much detail as possible to the potential buyers.   Potential buyers?  Does not seem worth it at all when, after 5 days, no views.  How many views will appear in a month?  3?  I won't be adding anything to sell that requires more than about 5 minutes of my time.  I know....I know.  If I sell what is in demand, I'll get more sales & views.  Blah, blah, blah.  lol  Posted an item on eBay that does not have a single view in over 2 weeks but the same thing has 100 on Marketplace.  Where do you think it will sell?

I don't put in that much effort. I'm concerned with volume. I put effort into taking photos of which I'm very fast if lighting cooperates (best lighting is cloudy outside middle of the day).

I subscribe to software to make listing and updating listings go very quickly. Time is money. Don't spend 1 hour doing one listing, spend 60 seconds on it, after spending a couple hours taking pictures of many things at once.

C.

Message 40 of 47
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

@sakic92710  " I won't be adding anything to sell that requires more than about 5 minutes of my time."

Another Sakic Rule....how many of these type of rules have you told us about? And how many have you ultimately ignored?

I know I'm simply repeating what many, many people have said, but at some point you've got to realize that your attitude is the biggest single stumbling block to online reselling success, here or elsewhere.

The five minute rule is nonsense. Try changing your attitude instead. 

I don't spend more than 5 minutes on any item... unless of course it's a very complex thing that requires 12+ photos (like photographing every page of a stamp album to show every stamp in the album).

There is 30-60 seconds spent photographing most items, and 60 seconds spent doing a listing. In order to accomplish this, I pay for listing software and create templates. I might spend 5-10 minutes doing a template that will list hundreds of items.

C.

Message 41 of 47
latest reply

"Why would I even feel the need to 'advertise' on the boards when most of what I get back is negativity or attempted insults? "

Good question, you get back what you give on the board.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 42 of 47
latest reply

@sin-n-dex wrote:

There is 30-60 seconds spent photographing most items, and 60 seconds spent doing a listing. In order to accomplish this, I pay for listing software and create templates. I might spend 5-10 minutes doing a template that will list hundreds of items.

Heck, you don't even need listing software for that. I have around a dozen templates or so saved in a single Word document. I just copy & paste the one I want to use into a particular listing and then change the specifics.

Message 43 of 47
latest reply

@yuzuha wrote:

@sin-n-dex wrote:

Heck, you don't even need listing software for that. I have around a dozen templates or so saved in a single Word document. I just copy & paste the one I want to use into a particular listing and then change the specifics.

It takes 5-10 minutes because I have to set the shipping for that type of item, and categories, and stuff like that. Might not really take 5 minutes, usually the bulk of the time is me figuring out what to write for the description template, and I write my listings in HTML (hand code, no generator).

The idea is to change title, change photo, change price, and away we go. It makes it fast to list 100 trade dollars for auction on Sundays.

C.

Message 44 of 47
latest reply

@yuzuha wrote:

@yuzuha 

Have you ever tried using the Templates on Ebay.  I use them.  I no longer have to C&P from Word docs.  I have a Template set up for all the main kind of items I sell and then a couple of generic Templates for the odd this or that.  It saves me a good chunk of time when creating a new listing.

I do keep my TOS in Word so it can be easy to update it and then C&P it into my Templates and /or as needed on live listings.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 45 of 47
latest reply