cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do many ask themselves why put in so much effort?

Added a listing with 22 images.  All of the time & effort to make sure a seller can give as much detail as possible to the potential buyers.   Potential buyers?  Does not seem worth it at all when, after 5 days, no views.  How many views will appear in a month?  3?  I won't be adding anything to sell that requires more than about 5 minutes of my time.  I know....I know.  If I sell what is in demand, I'll get more sales & views.  Blah, blah, blah.  lol  Posted an item on eBay that does not have a single view in over 2 weeks but the same thing has 100 on Marketplace.  Where do you think it will sell?

Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Re: Do many ask themselves why put in so much effort?

@sakic92710 wrote:

Added a listing with 22 images.  All of the time & effort to make sure a seller can give as much detail as possible to the potential buyers.   Potential buyers?  Does not seem worth it at all when, after 5 days, no views.  How many views will appear in a month?  3?  I won't be adding anything to sell that requires more than about 5 minutes of my time.  I know....I know.  If I sell what is in demand, I'll get more sales & views.  Blah, blah, blah.  lol  Posted an item on eBay that does not have a single view in over 2 weeks but the same thing has 100 on Marketplace.  Where do you think it will sell?

Buyers have to actually want what you are selling in order to receive views @sakic92710 

I dont know where you come up with such obscure items, but at least you are consistent with pretty much all long tail. You already know they are long tail. Just leave them up on eBay and what sells over the years, sells.

Cross listing is a no brainer. If it sells on FBM, end it from eBay immediately. As always, we take what we can get, anywhere we can get it from.

Posting ID
Message 16 of 47
latest reply

If the listing is your railway photos, I am not surprised.

I have dealt with railroad collectors for many years and although I know there are affluent railroad collectors, I have never encountered one of them. Every railroad collector I have encountered has a budget for their collecting, and has bought the most attractive items they have encountered when they have money to spend.

I do not think Canadian Railway collectibles appeal to many US collectors. My experience with collectors of railway photos has been when they buy antique photos not modern color photos.

There have been some large collections of railway memorabilia hitting the market in the past year, and they are soaking up a lot of the money available. My railroad buyers have always been effected by the economic climate, they do not buy when they feel pinched.

My repeat buyers who bought every month are buying every three or four months.

If I owned that collection of photos, I am not sure that I would be offering them as a lot. But if I owned those photos, I would not have paid much for them because they are Canadian and I would expect a trickle of interest.

Message 17 of 47
latest reply

You sold your Lions Club banner, though.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 18 of 47
latest reply

@chapeau-noir  The one with the lobsters! Just like I told him! 

Message 19 of 47
latest reply

We have been reducing the effort we put in when it makes sense (not skipping photographing flaws, for instance, but skipping pictures of less important and normal things, like the page edges of a book).  But that's just to increase efficiency and profit, not because eBay is somehow failing or messing us up.  It's just good business.

Message 20 of 47
latest reply

If I were selling the Taj Mahal here I would include 22 photos. As it is, maybe 5-7.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 21 of 47
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

You sold your Lions Club banner, though.

The OP has sold his Lion's Club banner by taking an offer.

He has a quite respectable history of sales.

I see a lot of optimistic pricing, but coupled with accepting offers it appears to have worked for him in the past, though less recently.

He does not do business the way I do, though we have similarities in some of what we sell. But different strokes ...

Message 22 of 47
latest reply

me- I take pride in my creations and my photos- but I am seriously thinking of not bothering. instead of trying- I'm thinking of cutting back photos to about 3.  It is very sad!  not only that... i could post all kinds of things to sell- cheaper- aint worth the effort and the time. If items arent seen.  touche'

Message 23 of 47
latest reply

Sometimes it's worth the effort (time/labor), Sometimes it's not.
I used to be able to pay an employee to list 50 items a day with a few pics and a good description.
Now, that can't be done with all the additional things to fill out that are supposed to help your item be pulled up in a search result.  
AND, all that additional?  MUST be done because we feel the only way to be seen in a search result is to outdo the competition.  
As of now, it's not easy to list 20 items a day.
Makes it almost impossible to make a decent wage.
Almost

Message 24 of 47
latest reply

Not all tools available to a seller needs to be used on every listing.  The seller should be able to determine what is the best approach to selling whatever it is they are trying to sell and which seller tools will best benefit that.

Sometimes all those pics can be very important or other times it wouldn't matter or there aren't enough ways to take that may pics for a given item.  Sellers have to be aware enough to make these decisions for themselves. 

Ebay has a lot of different tools.  22 pics is just one of many tools that may or may not have value for the seller.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 25 of 47
latest reply

Actually, it is the US stamp lot.

Message 26 of 47
latest reply

If my "attitude" is my stumbling block then, how come I do 10-15x better on Marketplace than on eBay?  Marketplace - where some people who buy from me actually know me personally or are long distance repeat customers.   Probably because I'm honest, friendly & sell quality items.  The real "attitude" on eBay comes on the community board from those who think their criticism makes any bit of difference outside of their little worlds.

Message 27 of 47
latest reply

Guess I'll have to do it more often.  You know...........for my fans.   🤣  🤣

Message 28 of 47
latest reply

I'm addicted to people like you reading my posts.  Makes me feel all warm & fuzzy.  🤣 🤣

Message 29 of 47
latest reply

That's funny.  I don't remember mentioning any particular item that I'm selling.  I guess I'll have to do an edit.  😛

Message 30 of 47
latest reply