cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer claims box was empty

Hi everyone, I shipped a box of enamelware dishes a couple weeks ago, shipment was tracked & said it was picked up at the post office after USPS couldn't deliver & left a notice. 5 days later buyer messaged me to say the box was empty. She sent pics of the packing material and the thank you note that was inside. The weight of the package when I shipped it would indicate it was not empty and the box didn't appear damaged. I can't rally any live human at eBay and not sure what to do. Any advice? I'm not super experienced at selling but the whole story is suspect to me.

Message 1 of 49
latest reply
48 REPLIES 48

Re: Buyer claims box was empty

If the buyer has filed an INAD, you don't have many options right now, but to accept the return or just refund the buyer.

You need to contact USPS and see what you can find out about the package when it was picked up by the buyer.

Have a great day.
Message 2 of 49
latest reply

Yikes -- I guess this is one reason to stand in line and get your USPS scan at the counter, rather than at the automated machine. Hope you get to the bottom of this.

Message 3 of 49
latest reply

Maybe the buyer is telling the truth, maybe not.

You will have to refund if there is an INAD claim and pursue insurance reimbursement.

Message 4 of 49
latest reply

Strange. You need to go to the post office and ask your postmaster to help you start an investigation. You may aslo message the buyer that you have initiated an investigation by the post office and express hope, they will cooperate to get to the bottom of the matter and ask them to give you time to accomplish that.

Message 5 of 49
latest reply

Buyers are sometimes not honest. Or can we assume the USPS did something? I don't think so.

Best you can do is refund the buyer and put them on your blocked buyer's list.

No sense in asking for a return since there is nothing in the box.

USPS is rather good and never get anything lost.

In fact, I had a return just today.Decease.JPG

Message 6 of 49
latest reply

The package was shipped at the counter

Message 7 of 49
latest reply

Thanks for the replies! Buyer has not yet filed INAD and it sounds like that's the proper channel prior to refunding. The box was intact. I don't see any evidence it was opened & re-taped (she sent pictures). The box was delivered from post office in Colorado to a post office in New Mexico. It was never even left outside anywhere. I thought it strange that she asked if I still had the dishes and, if so, would I send them. Really? Weird. It doesn't pass the smell test. I pushed a bit to see it someone else may have opened the box & removed contents. I'm hoping she'll respond but if not, will request INAD and I'll refund her. $40 lesson learned but it has soured me a bit on using ebay.

Message 8 of 49
latest reply

I hope you get this straightened out! I always hope and pray that I deal with honest people. I would check the buyers feedback and see if they have other issues that happened like that. If so, might want to put them on a blocked buyers list as suggested above! Best of luck!!

Message 9 of 49
latest reply

As it was picked up at the PO as well, it might be worth calling the buyer's PO to see if there was any (obvious if they were dishes) weight discrepancy?

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 10 of 49
latest reply

Just to let her Know that you Did Ship a Full box of Dishes...and that you are Puzzled as to Why she SAYS the Box was Empty....I would Send her (via eBay Messages) a Copy of the Original Post Office Receipt that shows the Original Weight of the Package...I hope you do Have that USPS Receipt...an important Piece of the Puzzle...

Message 11 of 49
latest reply

I would assume that was a fairly heavy package, not that this will necessary do you any good but if you bought the appropriate shipping for dishes and then sent a empty box you should be getting a shipping refund, since usps evidently weighs and measures packages at some point it would be interesting to know what USPS says that the package weighed and do they weigh it more than once along the way and can you get that info.

Message 12 of 49
latest reply

@eb_in_co 

You mean she picked up an empty box from the post office but thought it was full of dishes.?

Message 13 of 49
latest reply

And didn't think to report it to the seller until 5 days later?

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 14 of 49
latest reply

@eb_in_co 

Since your buyer has not filed a claim, you really don't need to do anything until they do.  You are not required to tell the buyer how to do it either, nor do you have to contact customer service.  If they do file, the following has been known to help:

Dear buyer, 

So sorry to hear that the parcel was missing the contents.  Since I have photos of the products, an inquiry will be filed with USPS to determine if the product was lost and subsequently found along the way.  Please supply a photo of the notice left on the package that arrived empty for insurance purposes. 

I will also file with the US Postal Inspectors who typically replies with a case number in 24 hours.  I will forward that to you so you can be kept informed on he progress of their investigation.  Though I do have your name and address, do you have a daytime contact number you would like me to add to the report? It may help the recovery of your items in a more expedient fashion.  

Sincerely, 
You

As you suggested, this doesn't pass the "sniff test"..... It is generally a tactic used to "shake down" a newish seller, who is not familiar with the ploy or procedures.   Some are so afraid of a red donut feedback review (that doesn't count for anything anymore) that they will simply refund and let the buyer keep the "missing" product for free.  

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out. 

Message 15 of 49
latest reply