cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black Americana

I'm a bit confused,

I placed a lot of 2 miniature cloth black Americana dolls (grandpa and grandma) on eBay and after they were sold I received a notice from eBay that my listing was removed as per their offensive material policy.

However there are  other miniature cloth black Americana dolls listed for sale on eBay and similar ones have sold.

My question is...why was my listing removed and others were not. Thanks

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: Black Americana

@greatgramps wrote:

eBay policy enforcement is not necessarily comprehensive, timely, or accurate.

eBay policy says that if you violate policy, there may be consequences. But it does not say they will catch every violation, nor doe sit say that all violations will be treated the same.

Message 16 of 37
latest reply

Let’s be honest and say that there are plenty of what most would consider offensive items removed, and many that those same people wouldn’t find offensive.  Person all, I’d stay away from anything even remotely related to black americana - regardless of whether or not I found it offensive.

Message 17 of 37
latest reply

I had this print ad pulled down for being offensive. I made no mention of Aunt Jemima in the title or description and just had it listed as "Mills Branch Buckwheat Flour Ad 1927" or something to that effect and I wasn't selling it for any more or less than any other add I listed from that 1927 magazine.

Yet there are hundreds of other items online, including empty boxes of Uncle Bens Rice and bottles of actual Aunt Jemima still active if you search for that term.

It's all random bots and/or people being petty when we are in a world right now with much larger problems than a 94 year old piece of paper offending someone.

tdl_collectibles_0-1699547931601.png

This is an actual listing on eBay right now below which should violate expired goods policy as well but that's where we are right now with how uneven things are.

tdl_collectibles_1-1699548099206.png

Message 18 of 37
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

Why have a Black Americana category if you're not allowed to list Black Americana?

@toomuchstuffagain35 

It makes them much easier to find and delete. 

An offensive material policy can be racist

Message 19 of 37
latest reply

eBay will target certain sellers, they've done it to me for years. You can't, unfortunately, compare apples to apples on this site.

Message 20 of 37
latest reply

Another example of why eBay pretty much forced me to diversify across multiple platforms and venues, although I was headed that way for other reasons as well, where I don't have to deal with this issue. While each site has it's own rules regarding listings most are focused on legality or legal compliance rather than peoples opinion of what is offensive. I suspect that there is little in this world that does not offend someone. 

Message 21 of 37
latest reply

Nobody has seemed to have caught on to all the Planet of The Apes figures and toys listed.

Message 22 of 37
latest reply

@slippinjimmy wrote:

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

@toomuchstuffagain35 

Exactly to your first point... no rhyme or reason.

Oh, I only asked the OP that because I wondered where eBay stood on it after it slipped through, yet they'd been paid.

Nothing happens, the  transaction is done and complete.

The takedown is still noted in your file, same as a Vero takedown  that happens after a sale.

I believe buyers of removed items also get a message from ebay telling them that the item was removed "for a policy violation." 

Ebay doesn't give specifics of the nature of the violation but I'd like to assume that buyers might ask questiosn. (I've seen sold counterfeit items removed and I hope those removals trigger buyers to question authenticity and hopefully, file for MBG.)

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 23 of 37
latest reply

@simba6 wrote:

Nobody has seemed to have caught on to all the Planet of The Apes figures and toys listed.

eBay doesn't equate black people with apes, so no need to pull them.  I really don't understand where you are going with this one - assume that all is well intentioned, but best to not go down this road.  

Message 24 of 37
latest reply

@tdl_collectibles wrote:

I had this print ad pulled down for being offensive. I made no mention of Aunt Jemima in the title or description and just had it listed as "Mills Branch Buckwheat Flour Ad 1927" or something to that effect and I wasn't selling it for any more or less than any other add I listed from that 1927 magazine.

Yet there are hundreds of other items online, including empty boxes of Uncle Bens Rice and bottles of actual Aunt Jemima still active if you search for that term.

It's all random bots and/or people being petty when we are in a world right now with much larger problems than a 94 year old piece of paper offending someone.

tdl_collectibles_0-1699547931601.png

This is an actual listing on eBay right now below which should violate expired goods policy as well but that's where we are right now with how uneven things are.

tdl_collectibles_1-1699548099206.png

@tdl_collectibles 

I believe it’s the images of ‘happy slaves’ that caused your item to be removed.  

It’s not just the ‘Aunt Jemima’ image that became banned … but images of any grinning woman in a slave costume, which many would consider an offensive oxymoron.  Anyway, that’s my guess.

Message 25 of 37
latest reply

Yes. Two days after the sale ended eBay cancelled the listing and I never received payment although I did send an invoice before my listing was cancelled. Just makes no sense to me at all. 

Message 26 of 37
latest reply

Obviously your listing was reported, and others were not...yet. I believe the previous poster is correct...happy slave images shouldnt be sold on any website, but of course they are.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 27 of 37
latest reply

@yellow-snapdragon wrote:

eBay will target certain sellers, they've done it to me for years. You can't, unfortunately, compare apples to apples on this site.

So true, any seller here any length of time can certainly relate to this...

Once listed a Black Americana cast iron bank that was removed by ebay, so I sold it to someone I knew at my yard sale.

He listed the exact same item on ebay, and I must have reported it at least 5 times and it was never removed. After several months it eventually sold.

Point is, reporting something doesn't always work to get obvious things get removed.

There is clearly something else going on that ebay won't tell us...

Message 28 of 37
latest reply

Seems once you are on Ebays radar for a removed item, you stay there.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 29 of 37
latest reply

@greatgramps wrote:

I'm a bit confused,

I placed a lot of 2 miniature cloth black Americana dolls (grandpa and grandma) on eBay and after they were sold I received a notice from eBay that my listing was removed as per their offensive material policy.

However there are  other miniature cloth black Americana dolls listed for sale on eBay and similar ones have sold.

Yours was also listed and sold.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 30 of 37
latest reply