cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assessing a buyer scam

I am trying to assess a buyer to ensure it’s not a scam. I listed a vintage tricycle for local pickup only . It’s been on eBay for about 9 months. Just two days ago, a buyer offered to purchase it at $110 (asking price) and is willing to pay $90 shipping. He has 100% positive feedback from 99 people as both a buyer and a seller, although none newer than 6 months ago and most over a year ago.  When I asked why he would be willing to pay more than the fair value of the bike, he said he is a hobbyist restorer of this particular trike. He has not suggested a transaction outside of eBay but seems unconcerned with the bike’s condition when I asked if he wanted more pictures.  Coincidentally, I just got a second buyer request to ship the trike and both the first and the second offer

are from buyers in Utah.  Any insights on this transaction are appreciated!

Message 1 of 43
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Assessing a buyer scam

The $90 I quoted for shipping (and, yes, I did measure and weigh) is the eBay discounted price so I’m now realizing it seems I would have to sell it via eBay (e.g. not go the route of keeping it a local pickup) in order to get the deeply discounted eBay rate., no? The non eBay rate doubles to $180.

There are other discounted shipping label providers out there. I have not purchased a label on eBay in quite sometime. I utilize Pirate Ship which has about the same discounted rates as eBay I simply upload the tracking information into the eBay order once I have created the label. I also utilize a cash back credit card to purchase those labels so the cost becomes even less. 

You can actually get and compare rates on Pirate ship without having to open an account if you just want to compare between eBay and Pirate Ship. I would simply modify your current listing to add in the shipping option, use calculated shipping, and make sure you have the weight and dim's correct. UPS Ground will probably be your cheapest alternative. Your in PA where is your potential buyer located? I have shipped some strange things in my time on eBay one of which was a empty full sized beer keg. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 29 of 43
latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

My concern with this would be, once he receives it and opens an "Item not as Described" You would be responsible for paying for shipping back to you.  I would keep it as a Local Pickup only. 

Message 2 of 43
latest reply

Are you willing to pay $90. for return item not as described? If it was a buyer who lived nearby in your state I might say yes...but because of a possibility of a return its a hard no for me.

Message 3 of 43
latest reply

@610cb 

You don't use the Best Offer feature.  Are people just messaging you?  

Message 4 of 43
latest reply

Some years ago, I experienced buyers who seemed obvious to product cost and shipping costs.

They were buying vintage bicycles.

After several sales to several different buyers, I found out the secret to why they were oblivious to cost and even condition. These were vintage car collectors, and the cost of buying and restoring vintage bicycles was minuscule compare to collecting cars.

You decide how much risk you wish to take, but do not leap to a conclusion that something nefarious is going on. The minority of Ebay buyers are out to cheat you.

Message 5 of 43
latest reply

@610cb 

Buyers are not buyers until they pay.  All buyers have positive feedback.  If you are uncomfortable concerning this prospective customer & smell a scam, I'd would block them from further annoying you with inquires that may be questionable.  Trust your gut.

Happy Selling. 

Message 6 of 43
latest reply

Any if you haven't sold anything in 30 days your funds from this sale will be on hold for 30+ days. Which means you will have to use your "own" money for shipping...Do you have $90. for shipping. And this item has to be mailed before you get the shipping funds. And how on earth are you going to pack that?

Message 7 of 43
latest reply

Yes, I guess because it is a rather unique item?

Message 8 of 43
latest reply

@610cb wrote:

I am trying to assess a buyer to ensure it’s not a scam. I listed a vintage tricycle for local pickup only . It’s been on eBay for about 9 months. Just two days ago, a buyer offered to purchase it at $110 (asking price) and is willing to pay $90 shipping. He has 100% positive feedback from 99 people as both a buyer and a seller, although none newer than 6 months ago and most over a year ago.  When I asked why he would be willing to pay more than the fair value of the bike, he said he is a hobbyist restorer of this particular trike.

Well, he's not offering to pay more than your asking price; he's simply offering to pay for shipping. I sell in the vintage-bicycle arena and that is not uncommon at all. If you're not willing to pack the tricycle for shipping (and I don't blame you; disassembly and protective packaging can be tricky), you might ask a local bike shop if they would be willing to do the packing and shipping. If so, have the buyer pay them directly for that part of the sale (the buyer should pay you directly for the tricycle sale itself, and nothing else), and then it will still qualify as a Local Pickup in terms of your not shipping it.

I know that's probably more complicated than what you would like, but I thought I would outline the steps taken in the collector community (outside of eBay) when some interstate sale of a rare bike occurs but the seller does not want to ship it himself.

Message 9 of 43
latest reply

"Any if you haven't sold anything in 30 days your funds from this sale will be on hold for 30+ days. Which means you will have to use your "own" money for shipping...Do you have $90. for shipping. And this item has to be mailed before you get the shipping funds. And how on earth are you going to pack that?"

Op can use pending funds for shipping.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 10 of 43
latest reply

@bonjourami wrote:

"Any if you haven't sold anything in 30 days your funds from this sale will be on hold for 30+ days. Which means you will have to use your "own" money for shipping...Do you have $90. for shipping. And this item has to be mailed before you get the shipping funds. And how on earth are you going to pack that?"

Op can use pending funds for shipping.

...to which I would simply add that, in the experience of a new seller that I'm mentoring at the present time, the funds holds on his sales are only 14 days, not 30+.

I suppose high-value categories have tighter restrictions and perhaps longer holds, but my newbie seller only started within the past couple of months (not selling high-scam items), has had several sales (all auctions) already, and those have all been paid out on the dates promised by eBay. I'm curious to see when his holds will be lifted for good.

One other comment on holds: if you're seeing a low but steady rate of sales, as my newbie seller is, then you'll have a similar low-but-steady rate of deposits into your checking account. Once those start (14 days from the first sale, in our experience), you don't really notice exactly which new funds match up to a previous sale. It's all just money coming in. When the new-seller hold is finally lifted, we might not even notice. 😁

Message 11 of 43
latest reply

We shut down every year for approx. 3 months and never had a hold on funds. eBay may hold funds it is not definitive. 2021 we shut down for six months and when we started back up, no holds at all.

Message 12 of 43
latest reply

I don’t mind packing. (In fact, I am an idiot savant when it comes to packaging.) Would it be kosher to ask the buyer to Venmo me the $90 for packing, sort of as a gesture of good faith (and because I wouldn’t be able to recoup that if he/she were to make a claim)?

Message 13 of 43
latest reply

Yes....I understand that.

If looking at seller sales they looked like they haven't sold anything in more than 30 days...so where do "pending funds" come from?

Message 14 of 43
latest reply

If he makes this sale, that would be pending funds.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 15 of 43
latest reply