cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I get shipping costs refunded on an item not as described?

Sounds like a simple question that should be "yes", but I didn't, on a recent purchase of $11 item with $9 shipping, got a $11 partial refund instead, on a camera case with a specific model and brand on the package label (opened package), which doesn't fit that specific model and brand at all.  Not even close.  My guess is the package and label came from another camera case, and what was sold to me is for who knows what?  I sure don't.  All I know is I can't use it.  

Seller seems to be begging for a dispute and bad feedback (which I virtually never give), saying such things that the photos I provided  of item with a tape measure showing the dimensions were different than provided to me before purchase, were faked - it wasn't seller's item - yet it is, and the photos match seller's listing photos perfectly.  Nothing makes sense here.  A case has been filed.   I asked for a full refund and didn't get it.......can seller's do this and keep shipping fees now?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Do I get shipping costs refunded on an item not as described?

I've had sellers try to pull the same thing. I simply opened another case with ebay as 'refund not received' , then explained that the purchase price was refunded but not the shipping cost. Ebay has always quickly refunded the difference.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

If you filed a “not as described” return request, you should be getting all of your money back including any shipping fees you paid once you return the item back to seller.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I've had sellers try to pull the same thing. I simply opened another case with ebay as 'refund not received' , then explained that the purchase price was refunded but not the shipping cost. Ebay has always quickly refunded the difference.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

And that is precisely what I did, and what happened was case closed in my favor - shipping fee refunded.  But what the heck?  By the way, it WAS initially a "not as described" return request.  I'm not one to leave negative feedback due to effect on fees...just wierd that the issue was from a 100% positive feedback seller.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Glad this ended well for you.  But have to ask:  What effect do you believe negative FB left for the seller would have on the seller's fees?  

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@stevescho wrote:

And that is precisely what I did, and what happened was case closed in my favor - shipping fee refunded.  But what the heck?  By the way, it WAS initially a "not as described" return request. 

I'm not one to leave negative feedback due to effect on fees...just wierd that the issue was from a 100% positive feedback seller. 

Not only that @stevescho your rest-of-the-refund had no effect on the seller. The make-up refund came out-of-pocket from eBay, not the seller. And your seller is unaware that you asked eBay to step in.

You got ... A courtesy refund.

Your seller got ... Away.

Aside, it is common now for TRS top-ratted sellers to withhold a portion of your refund using the exact same reason you filed for your "not as described" return request, e.g. returned for Arrived Damaged, partial refund because it arrived back damaged.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I was led to believe that anything less than five stars dings the sellers with higher fees....not only that...this particular seller claimed (as I believed prior), that less than five stars results in higher fees.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@stevescho wrote:

I was led to believe that anything less than five stars dings the sellers with higher fees....not only that...this particular seller claimed (as I believed prior), that less than five stars results in higher fees.

"Stars" haven't meant diddly for about 5 years. Neither does feedback. 

The only 3 things that effect a seller is

a.) Not taking care of returns (ebay having to do it for them)

b.) Not shipping on time (including a scan showing the carrier 'has' the item)

c.) cancelling orders due to 'out of stock' 

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

I chalk it up to seller cluelessness; overpriced item, excessive shipping cost, I get nickeled and dimed on a make offer which seller finally accepts - knowing full well that I based it on what was on that package (made for my camera) - and that's not what I got.  Probably hasn't ever used a camera - but hello, McFly, anybody home? - they aren't all the same size and shape.  Which was explained (without that sarcasm) when I asked for a refund....and still didn't get it.

My take on EBAY is it's an electronic garage sale; and if you go into it knowing that you're going to get some crap occasionally.  The difference between this garage sale and a real one, well, you don't actually see the item first hand.

I can live with it IF I can get my money back especially when - as here -  it is so badly described to be unusable.  

Message 9 of 9
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: