cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer claiming defective earring

"New profile for forum use" I sold a pair of earrings recently and the buyer is claiming that I sold them a defective product because one of the backings on the post fell off...... I offered to buy her replacements and give her a partial refund but nope. She's opening a case against me with ebay for selling her a defective earring which sounds ridciulous. What should I do here? Issue the refund? Does ebay ding me for this? 

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

If you want the earrings back:

Approve the return.

Buyer will have to send you the earrings back.

When you get them back you have to refund the buyer.

If  the buyer does not send the earrings back, no refund.

If you don't want the earrings back:

Refund the buyer.

Buyer does not have to send the earrings back.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Yes but I was wondering if ebay penalizes me for having a defective product return?

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

From what you are describing,   It sound like the buyer is trying to score a free pair of earrings.

Tell her to file for a return with ebay.     Then,   Make her send them back.

Stop worrying about dings and all that.    Call her bluff.     

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Hi @iqyb7272 

You just opened this account today.  Were the earrings sold on a different account?  [It's always helpful for us to read the listing in order to give the most accurate information.]

That said, requests for a return are a normal part of sales.  Since the buyer has filed a return request ... you need to EITHER accept the return and provide a prepaid shipping label ... OR refund the buyer in full without getting the item back.  [Make your decision based on the cost of the return and the earrings ... and whether you think you can resell them.]

As long as you handle the issue yourself ... you will NOT be 'dinged'.  If you stall for over 3 business days ... the buyer can ask eBay to step in, which WILL cause you problems with eBay, as they want sellers to handle returns without involving eBay.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

The biggest defect you get is if you don't refund them when you get your item back and eBay has to step in and refund them that will really hurt you. An occasional item not as described case that you handle correctly is not going to hurt you. 

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Many thanks 

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

@iqyb7272 wrote:

Yes but I was wondering if ebay penalizes me for having a defective product return?

No, they don't. 

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

A return is a return

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

If there was a specific classification for items returned due to defect, all those Chinese sellers would have to go elsewhere. LOL

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Tell her to send the item back and you will give her a refund of the item price. Let her pay shipping both ways. Don't send out any money until you receive the item.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@heckofagame wrote:

A return is a return

Not true; 

Not as Described (missing parts, defective) gives you a 'ding' on your seller metrics. 

The 'other' form of returns, does not. 

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

https://www.ebay.com.my/sellercentre/manage-your-account/case-resolution/inad

There is a difference between an actual defect (that it explains here you only get if you don't handle the INAD return correctly)  and it affecting your INAD metrics that it does keep track of but as long as you're within normal average numbers it doesn't hurt you at all.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@stainlessenginecovers wrote:

@heckofagame wrote:

A return is a return

Not true; 

Not as Described (missing parts, defective) gives you a 'ding' on your seller metrics. 

The 'other' form of returns, does not. 

@stainlessenginecovers 

Under my Seller Hub, I see 'Transactions you canceled for being out of stock' and 'Cases closed without seller resolution' as the only two items mentioned when I tick 'Transaction defect rate'. Am I missing something?

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

@mtgraves7984 

Maybe you are correct (now) but at one time, the amount of 'returns' was compared to your 'peers' and if you 'exceeded' you would be charged a penalty added 5% (now 6%) on Fees until that 'percentage' changed. 

Message 15 of 15
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: