cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help IDing 1950's California pottery figurine of Sally Rand.

I need help identifying the maker of this 1950's unglazed figurine. It is marked on the base...but I have been unable to find a match for the mark. It measures approx. 9" tall. It is unglazed. There are several 'tool' marks on it....which leads me to believe that it may have been a trial/test piece. There are seam marks. It's possible that it never was put into production. I tried posting in the Art/Antiques category. No one was able to identify the studio/pottery. Someone there suggested that it might be related to the works of Janice Pettee- who did a couple of other Sally Rand figurines for Vernon Kilns. And help/thoughts/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_6571.JPGIMG_6574.JPGIMG_6575.JPGIMG_6580.JPG

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Re: Need help IDing 1950's California pottery figurine of Sally Rand.

Not sure it’s Sally Rand. A quick google search of images doesn’t seem to show any of her doing her bubble dance in ballet shoes, just heels. Don’t see any similarities to Pettee’s figurals of Rand for Vernon Kilns. There were several companies producing in Burbank around that time period (e.g. Haldeman & West Coast), but your figurine seems wholly inconsistent with their wares. 

You might try contacting Jack Chipman or another expert in mid century California pottery. Please let us know what you find out. I’m intrigued. 

Message 2 of 2
latest reply