cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Made offer, ebay automatically charges credit card !!@$#!$"#

I do not understand how making an offer can give ebay the right to charge my cc if seller accepts.  That should never be allowed and I would never agree to that.  I decide when my card is charged! 

Consider if your making offers (not bids) on multiple same items, or maybe items that are close to the same, old model newer model, trying to get a good price, and three offers are accepted, eBay is going to CHARGE YOUR CARD WITHOUT YOUR AUTHORIZATION for all 3 of same item, buying all three of the same item.  That is ridiculously stupid policy change.   I don't see how this is possible.  No wear did I agree to that and it happened today.  Checked my offers and one already shipped without my knowledge and the newer model was the better deal for only a little more money.

Buyer beware!  This is **bleep**!

I still don't even see where it says this on the offer side.

The reason ebay told me is because people make offers and don't pay.  That is **bleep** also,  a simple communication "I retract my offer, or just purchased elsewhere message should be good.  Cause this is an offer not a bid!  "make offer!"

Anyone else have thoughts on this!

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Re: Made offer, ebay automatically charges credit card !!@$#!$"#

@mysharona714 wrote:

just last week I had a buyer make an offer on my item and never completed payment. This has been the third time a buyer has recently done this on one of my listings

No buyer would have the opportunity to do this to me 3 times because if there's an NPB, I block them then cancel for non-payment. It will never happen a second time (or third). 

"Do it to me once, shame on you. Do it to me twice, shame on me."

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 31 of 39
latest reply

@station40rescue407 wrote:

Ok my complaint is this lets say you see an item for $6.99 and you put an offer in for $6.00 then the person turns around and declines your offer then you say forget it bit this person went ahead anyway charge your credits card for $6.86 so is this allowed in ebay those are the rules the seller declines your offer but 2 days later the seller charges your credit card for $6.00 

It doesn't work that way. 

Your card is there for payment if the seller accepts your offer. When the seller ignores or declines, you don't get charged. (And for the record, it's not the seller who charges your card; it's ebay and again, only happens if you and the seller agree to a price.)

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 32 of 39
latest reply

This is not my experience.  I just made an offer and within a half an hour of that I got a message from Ebay that my card was charged as the seller accepted my offer.  I did not get the option of completing the buy myself.  While I am not a fan of this and this is the first time I have encountered this in all my many years of buying on Ebay,  I am now aware and will decide if I even want to make an offer from now on.

Message 33 of 39
latest reply

@vaz019 wrote:

I do not understand how making an offer can give ebay the right to charge my cc if seller accepts.  That should never be allowed and I would never agree to that.  I decide when my card is charged! 

Consider if your making offers (not bids) on multiple same items, or maybe items that are close to the same, old model newer model, trying to get a good price, and three offers are accepted, eBay is going to CHARGE YOUR CARD WITHOUT YOUR AUTHORIZATION for all 3 of same item, buying all three of the same item.  That is ridiculously stupid policy change.   I don't see how this is possible.  No wear did I agree to that and it happened today.  Checked my offers and one already shipped without my knowledge and the newer model was the better deal for only a little more money.

Buyer beware!  This is **bleep**!

I still don't even see where it says this on the offer side.

The reason ebay told me is because people make offers and don't pay.  That is **bleep** also,  a simple communication "I retract my offer, or just purchased elsewhere message should be good.  Cause this is an offer not a bid!  "make offer!"

Anyone else have thoughts on this!

@vaz019 

You are the exact type of buyer that this system was put in place for by eBay. You do not get to make multiple offers to different sellers of the same or similar items and then if the seller accepts your offer you pick just one and don't pay the others.

When you make an offer to a seller you are entering into a binding contract should said seller accept your offer. Make an Offer is not a comparison tool for you to use to decide which seller to buy your item from.

Thank you very much for posting as I can see you being added to a bunch of sellers Best Buddies Lists. You are exactly the type of buyer that needs to be removed from eBay.

Message 34 of 39
latest reply

Not sure how you brought me back into this a year later.   You needed to read all of the posts.  Later I realize the sellers position when as a seller you would only be able to accept one offer then the item would be froze waiting for buyer to pay.   If buyer wouldn't, then seller loses out on other potential offers and time.  That seems like why the policy changed. 

Unfortunately, the first time a buyer doesn't catch the small line on the top about your card getting charged automatically you get upset.  It's there though?   Since that day I changed how I did offers pretty simple.

Don't put me in the category of people that bid/offer on stuff and don't pay.  That is not me.   

I have 100% approval rating. Been a member since 2003 +20 years now.  I don't see why I should be removed,  that's pretty harsh.

Remind you that ebay is still shopping especially with buy it now and make offer!  .... anytime sellers have the same item, buyers then shop.

It just a communication problem in the end on how offers work in ebay.

Jeez they way some of you sellers would have it I should get charged if I Iook at the item or put it in my cart for later.

Message 35 of 39
latest reply

All buyers have a 100% approval rating because sellers can only leave buyers positive fb.So its really nothing special.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 36 of 39
latest reply

If in fact you are making serious offers that you intend to pay for this autopay policy should be a good thing imo normally less hassel 

only drawback I have experienced with this policy is that I may miss an item I want if my account does not have the funds available for a day or two.  I do not get the normal leeway that eBay allows with other payments.

If this a not acceptable to you do not make an offer it is your choice you ca buy it now or place a bid depending on the listing options

Message 37 of 39
latest reply

No, doesn't work that way. What you describe is not even possible. Once a seller declines a buyer's offer, or a buyer declines a seller's offer, it's over - no further actions take place, automatically or otherwise.  There's no charge until after an offer is accepted by the seller. And in reverse, if the seller makes an offer to a buyer and the buyer accepts, the buyer is prompted to checkout and pay for the item.  Now, the buyer or seller could opt to make a counter offer. But again, unless the party receiving the counter offer accepts it, the deal is dead in the water. No further action occurs. 

Message 38 of 39
latest reply

Then buy something else! I have an entire eBay shop of things for sale. 😉

Message 39 of 39
latest reply