cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mystery Maker's Mark on a Serpent Brooch...Who's my daddy?

When I first saw this brooch, it reminded me strongly of a similar Marcel Boucher piece, but alas, this one isn't made of 14k gold and gorgeous jewels.  It's goldtone.  The head and the tail are both articulated, and move up and down.  The green eye rhinestones are glass.  The blue cabochon is plastic.   It's a massive piece, measuring just under 4" long and a little over 1 1/8" wide.

It's the maker's mark that is confusing me.  I know a lot of marks, and I have never seen this one in the past.  I'm not even sure if I've posted it right side up.  

Has anyone seen this mark before, and can you enlighten me?  Thanks!

"One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane." ~Nicola Tesla
Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

More photos...

"One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane." ~Nicola Tesla
Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Sorry, I havent seen that mark before either. It looks like a V with bottom point extended downward, behind the cross line of an H. Is that what it looks like to you? I have no knowledge of the mark but the brooch and "China" mark look contemporary rather than vintage. 

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

In the recent past some of jewelry board members have been looking for info on the signatures/marks on pieces of jewelry made in China. So far there hasn't been much progress toward that goal. As far as I know there's no list of makers' marks for these -- if anyone finds one there are a lot of people here who would like to have that information.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

I think I see H over a W with a feather or leaf tiara / headpiece.
Message 5 of 16
latest reply

IMG_20180205_012501.JPG

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Thank you.  The frustrating part is that practically everything costume is made in China now, and usually contains enough cadmium or other heavy metal to fell a small horse.  This piece doesn't feel like the normal China fare, as its construction and design is actually decent.

It's come to a pretty pass when I'll occasionally have to research a piece on the "Site of the 40 Thieves"...And actually find the thing.  scream

I'd prefer the actual Mandarin marks at this point:  much easier to translate and ascribe than these mystery maker marks.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Thank you.  I figured that I'd probably have it upside down.  That's how my luck runs recently.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Check out Hutton Wilkinson.

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Thanks, Sandy. That's not a name I've heard as of yet.   That's EXACTLY who makes it!  Gosh, you're the absolute best!

To make this all the more interesting, my husband HATES my jewelry fetish. He'll walk into my studio, see me hand-knotting Art Deco era pearls with silk cord, and roll his eyes like I'm wasting time. Yet in between this brooch and the Swarovski, he's put his formidable research skills to use (He's an IT Sys Admin.) and came up empty.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

You are welcome.  Glad I could help. 

Though the beauty may be in the butterfly, the struggle and growth occur in the cocoon.
Message 11 of 16
latest reply

IMG_20180205_063747.JPG

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

I came up empty last night too. Even though this morning using the name Sandy provided my best Bookmark for Trademarks found something. Go figure?

https://trademarks.justia.com/search?q=Hutton+Wilkinson

wrote:

Thanks, Sandy. That's not a name I've heard as of yet.   That's EXACTLY who makes it!  Gosh, you're the absolute best!

To make this all the more interesting, my husband HATES my jewelry fetish. He'll walk into my studio, see me hand-knotting Art Deco era pearls with silk cord, and roll his eyes like I'm wasting time. Yet in between this brooch and the Swarovski, he's put his formidable research skills to use (He's an IT Sys Admin.) and came up empty.

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

You know snakes completely freak me out but I would LOVE to have that!  Lucky find!

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Wow! You guys truly are amazing researchers!!

Message 15 of 16
latest reply