cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long Shot - but looking for help with pinback identification.

Any thoughts on origin or background of this pinback?

Thanks!

100_5512.JPG

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Long Shot - but looking for help with pinback identification.

I'd say it's a college fraternity or sorority pin with Greek letters Alpha Omicron Kappa.  

Rita

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Are there any markings on the back?

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Here is another one for sale but I do not believe it is correctly identified, in that I can find no other reference to "Ancient Order of Knights," except for the "Ancient Order of Knights of the Mystic Chain," which uses completely different symbolism

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1115205096/antique-celluloid-a-o-k-ancient-order-of

But that listing is still interesting because it shows the maker, and if you scroll to close to the bottom of this page you will find info about the publisher:

https://davidccook.org/about/

-

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

I agree that the absence of  "MC" (Mystic Chain) on the pin creates some doubt about the etsy seller's identification. 

Also, we can assume, but we don't know, if OP's pin has  the same publisher's text on the back.  Hopefully OP will tell us.

Rita

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@melda58 wrote:

I agree that the absence of  "MC" (Mystic Chain) on the pin creates some doubt about the etsy seller's identification. 

Also, we can assume, but we don't know, if OP's pin has  the same publisher's text on the back.  Hopefully OP will tell us.

Rita

Yes, and a search of the  Ancient Order of Knights of the Mystic Chain brings up nothing like.  That fraternal organization used a lot of symbolism, but nothing like this was among it.

You're right that I was assuming but I think it a fair assumption.  OP's pin may be missing the paper insert on the Etsy pin, or surely s/he would have shown or mentioned it, but I'd be surprised if OP's pin were made by someone else, based on comparing the two pins and based on how small / obscure the organization it represents,

Your idea that it might be the Greek letters Alpha, Omicron, Kappa is still worth pursuing.

I even played with the "A-OK" (All Okay) possibility until I learned that didn't come into the language until 1961.

A little puzzler, this pin!

-

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Doesn't look like Greek imagery to me.  David C. Cook is  a non-profit Christian publisher.  You can always ask them.  https://davidccook.org/contact/

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

David C. Cook is a publishing company for Christian lesson material.  To think it is connected to a fraternity seems to be a stretch.  If the back of your pen is the same, I wonder if it was connected to a Sunday School Attendance award or something like that.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@natoman777 wrote:

David C. Cook is a publishing company for Christian lesson material.  To think it is connected to a fraternity seems to be a stretch.  If the back of your pen is the same, I wonder if it was connected to a Sunday School Attendance award or something like that.

Yes, anyone who looked at the link I provided would see that company publishes Christian materials and got its start as a publisher of Christian materials.  That does not mean that it never did any other kind of publishing in its 148 years in business.  I just don't know and am not inclined to do the research needed to find out, one way or the other.

But, assuming it published only Christian materials, your idea that it's something earned in Sunday school works.  Or earned in choir.  Or is the insignia of a Christian fellowship group.  Etc. 

Lions are common symbolism in Christianity, but they usually aren't so jolly.  And what it really looks like is the classic lion's head door-knocker.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Thanks for all your responses.

Yes - back says David Cook Publishing Co, Elgin, Chicago, New York, Boston  

Guess its still a mystery.....

I might try contacting the company if my curiosity gets the best of me, but I'm guessing it's a minimal value item....

Message 10 of 10
latest reply