cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the legality of U.S. citizen finding a cache of ancient Roman coins in Italy?

Someone recently found a pot full of ancient Roman gold coins in the basement of an old abandoned theater in Italy.  What is the legality of finding a small cache of silver or gold coins while on vacation in Italy? Is a U.S. citizen obligated to turn it over to the Italian government or can they pack it in their suitcase and go home? 

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

What is the legality of U.S. citizen finding a cache of ancient Roman coins in Italy?

Italian laws apply.

USA citizens do not have carte blanche to break the law when they travel.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Wouldn't that answer depend upon the circumstances of finding the coins?

Don't believe we have enough information here to offer an opinion.  And it would be just that, an opinion, not necessarily reflecting any local laws that would apply.

If, for instance, I were a US citizen and had traveled to Italy to look up ancestors and discovered that my great great grandparents had owned this theater, I MIGHT be perfectly able to claim what I found.

There are other situations, however, where that would not be the case.  

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

I think that depends on where the items were found too. Did you try Google?

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

I think it's 10 coins no matter who finds them that constitute a hoard which at that point the state has to be notified. If you don't you are subject to their laws, and seious penalties. I'm still not gonna look at your listings.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Since this happened in 2018, I imagine the legalities have all been worked out.

When you go looking for stuff to post to try to draw attention to your listings, at least keep it current.

-

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

I'm not trying to draw attention to my listings. Just want a decent answer to my question. I know that old coins are constantly found in the U.S. on private property. I know an 80 year old man who told me he has buried several jars full of gold and silver coins on his land. He needs to draw a map in case he croaks for his relatives. My guess is that if the Italian gov. doesn't want the coins for their collection the American has the right to take them home with a document releasing them. 

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Don't be disingenuous.  It's an old story.  Research it for the results.  As for a "decent answer," if you want answers to cases involving international treasure trove law, this is hardly the place to get it. 

-

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

I'd say the Italian gov. would gladly pay a good price for old coins if they needed the coins for their own collection and assuming the coins were found in a legitimate manner. If they don't want the coins, the American is welcome to take them home. 

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Who is telling you that this is a good idea? You do realize that making up one's own laws regarding matters like this might be illegal, right?

"the American has the right to take them" I'm sure the judge might have a different point of view. These hoard hearings are to protect cultural artifacts from leaving the country.. My advice is that you retain a lawyer before undertaking any action.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Have you tried researching the actual event to see what the outcome was? Maybe you'll get your decent answer.   

Rita

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

I know that this matter must not be taken away in China.Even if you are a Chinese and dig up some treasures in the Chinese fields, you must hand them over to the government.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

A coin dealer told me that if I went to Italy and found a rare coin on the beach or roadside or private property to offer it to the Italian gov. and if they want it for their collection will pay a fair price and if not I can go home with it. You better stick to petting ducks as your empty tea kettle makes a lot of noise. 

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

I'm pretty sure Maxine doesn't need my help on this one but you might. What is your opinion on Italian food? Is a year of eating substandard food from questionable sources worth the few coins you might get? Bon appetit!

Message 14 of 14
latest reply