cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this WMF silverpate piece a humidor?

At first I thought it was a little bank, with the slot on top. But I opened it and it has a fixed piece of felt? under the slot. It is small, only 2-3/4" high and wide. Tiny WMF mark (I do know the maker is Wurttemberg Metalwork Factory) on the bottom.

Is it a humidor?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Is this WMF silverpate piece a humidor?

It appears to be a tobacco jar.
Message 2 of 20
latest reply

Is it possible to put a coin in the slot, or not? I found several with this shape, different decoration, on the worthpoint site. They have tiny locks and keys.  Sadly, no photos of the insides.
Janet

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

@janetpjohn_la wrote:

Is it possible to put a coin in the slot, or not? I found several with this shape, different decoration, on the worthpoint site. They have tiny locks and keys.  Sadly, no photos of the insides.
Janet

You can...but you have to give it a good push to get it past the felt piece. Not sure why the felt would be there if it's a bank.

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

an opening in the top makes no sense for a tobacco jar.  the idea of a humidor is to keep the tobacco moist.

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

Why would you want to stink up the felt with tobacco smell? What would the felt slot be there for?  If it is hard to get a coin thru it, what would tobacco look like when you pushed it thru there?

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

Looks like it might be a desk top item. Think it could be a stamp dispenser/moistener?

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

I have no idea what the jar could be used for but the felt doesn't seem to fit here. Its design and mounting do not match the quality of the jar - as far as I can tell from the photo. It is likely to be placed at a later stage.

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

I was thinking that the felt could have been moistened with a few drops of water. Pull a stamp over it and you save yourself from having to lick it. Just a thought...

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

I am not sure, the felt is not protruding through the opening, and the jar is quite large for this purpose.
Message 10 of 20
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, also for dispensing stamps the opening would be on the side so the roll unrolls easily.

Seems too small for a bank though. A few quarters and you'd be done.

Does the felt flap give way easily or to have to push hard to get something through?

Maybe for tickets, prayer cards, love notes?

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

Although the logo does not appear very well in this picture, I think it is the one used in the period 1930 - 1969. In my opinion, the opening was also made at a later stage - in all likelihood the original purpose of the jar was to store ground coffee. The WMF began manufacturing coffee machines in 1927. The ornaments on the container suggest an eventual production in the 1940s - 1950s (just a guess).
https://www.wmf.com/en/company/wmf-group/history.html 

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

Seems too small for a bank though. A few quarters and you'd be done.

Not too small if it's intended for children, like this one:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/lovely-wmf-silver-plated-childs-money-305387043

Here's one of the barrel-shaped ones with lock & key mentioned by Janet. The seller says it  "still has the leather flap inside lid to trap coins after inserted":

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/wmf-figural-barrel-bank-trick-lock-534340432

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

I agree that's a little coin bank. That's what OP thought originally, that's what I thought when I first saw it, that's what Janet found in an initial search, and now you've found similar ones.  All by WMF, originally with locks and keys, and one can see where the lock went on this one.   The flap makes perfect sense, preventing the coins being shaken out once inside.  It's too small for any of the other uses suggested, anyhow, at only It's only 2.75" x 2.75".   Pretty little thing, and in nice condition.

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

Yes, I initially thought bank. But went with humidor or tobacco box. So I didn't look up WMF Bank. There is one listed just like mine, except with the box and lock/keys.

So DUH me. Thanks everyone for your answers. I don't know to who should get the "solution". I guess ME. 'Cause bank was my first thought. Smiley Wink

Message 15 of 20
latest reply