cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller refuses to sell after winning an auction?

I had recently won an auction for a rather rare video game, in which I had won with a bid of $1.00 after about 6 days. The seller did list the Buy It Now price at $100, but the merchandise was worth far under that. Now, after having won the auction and after paying, the seller refuses to not only sell, but also refuses to respond to me. What can I do here?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Seller refuses to sell after winning an auction?

@gniedziejka

Wait until after the last delivery date and file an INR.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Thanks. I really think that eBay should punish sellers who pull out of sales often, espeically considering ones that are rather rude, such as the one I'm dealing with.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

@takikawa4 wrote:

@gniedziejka

Wait until after the last delivery date and file an INR.

And is what I would do when I'm dealing with a seller who is playing stupid with me, in which it won't be long before they fall under performance and no longer allowed to sell on eBay.

My Item Want List
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

And don't forget appropriate FB.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

You could, of course, sue the seller for breach of contract.  That is, however, not usually a good option for financial reasons.  I would probably merely file the INR and leave appropriate feedback.  

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@gniedziejka wrote:

I had recently won an auction for a rather rare video game, in which I had won with a bid of $1.00 after about 6 days. The seller did list the Buy It Now price at $100, but the merchandise was worth far under that. Now, after having won the auction and after paying, the seller refuses to not only sell, but also refuses to respond to me. What can I do here?

The seller has only one feedback...yours, and now their rating is -1.

Not off to a very good start! The seller seems to lack integrity. They will have to learn that their auction starting bid should be set at the minimum they will be comfortable with. Sellers remorse. I am sure they were trying to encourage bidding with a low opening bid ask, but it doesn't always work out that way! They will have to change their ways and honor every sale if they don't want a -2 rating.

You did the appropriate action and the other poster gave good advice, file INR.

ON VACATION
GONE FISHING
BACK AT 6
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

@newman777 wrote:

@gniedziejka wrote:

Not off to a very good start! The seller seems to lack integrity. They will have to learn that their auction starting bid should be set at the minimum they will be comfortable with. Sellers remorse. I am sure they were trying to encourage bidding with a low opening bid ask, but it doesn't always work out that way! They will have to change their ways and honor every sale if they don't want a -2 rating.

I wouldn't say the seller has a lack of integrity. Its clearly a brand new seller who has fallen for ebay's shoddy advice. If the seller lacks integrity, once could argue the same about a buyer wins an item for $1 and who isn't willing to forgive a first time seller and expects them to ship something that will cost more than a $1.00 to ship, not to mention the 13% ebay and PP fees. Sure the right thing to do is to ship the item at a total loss but this is all ebays doing. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@missjen316 wrote:

@newman777 wrote:

@gniedziejka wrote:

I wouldn't say the seller has a lack of integrity. Its clearly a brand new seller who has fallen for ebay's shoddy advice. If the seller lacks integrity, once could argue the same about a buyer wins an item for $1 and who isn't willing to forgive a first time seller and expects them to ship something that will cost more than a $1.00 to ship, not to mention the 13% ebay and PP fees. Sure the right thing to do is to ship the item at a total loss but this is all ebays doing. 

I will not argue your contention of " ebay's shoddy advice."

Advice is just advice. A sale on ebay is an legal agreement, the ignorance of the seller is not anyone elses fault.

I define integrity as keeping your word, no matter what cost. Your word is the only power one has in this world and one must honor their word, even if later it causes inconvenience.

You also have a point on "forgiving" a first time seller, and that is the "right" path, but the buyer did not break their agreement, the seller did.  And you do agree that the right thing to to is to ship at a loss...live and learn...this may be the sellers lesson and that's why I said, when selling, never set your opening bid price below what you are comfortable with.

This is how I learned! But I never broke my word.

The seller is 100% wrong. Only when they take responsibility for their mistake, honor their agreements, and stop looking to blame others, will they grow integrity.

Refusing to ship is is lack of integrity. Dishonest. No place on ebay for such behavior.

ON VACATION
GONE FISHING
BACK AT 6
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

The seller might have made an honest mistake in their listing, perhaps they thought they had a reserve price built in.  Maybe they never thought the item would sell for only a dollar.  Whatever the circumstances, they shouldn't ignore you.  The only thing you can really do is open and "item not recieved" case.  Ebay will contact the seller and you will at the very least get your money back.  ~~ Lisa

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@gniedziejka wrote:

Thanks. I really think that eBay should punish sellers who pull out of sales often, espeically considering ones that are rather rude, such as the one I'm dealing with.

Ebay does punish such sellers. They'll get a defect on their account, and it only takes a few of those, especially with no other sales to balance it out, before they get banned from selling. Btw, your fb comment is very well written - factual, clear, and calm.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@gabbycockatiel wrote:

@gniedziejka wrote:

Ebay does punish such sellers. They'll get a defect on their account, and it only takes a few of those, especially with no other sales to balance it out, before they get banned from selling. Btw, your fb comment is very well written - factual, clear, and calm.

Not with the advice given here.

USALE..

This  seller  WILL  be punished  by Ebay  for  doing    this.  Ebay  will   put  a  DEFECT on  his  account.    ....And     It only  takes  a  few olf these  Defects---for  a seller to lose his whole  account.  Smiley SurprisedSmiley Indifferent

Message 13 of 13
latest reply