cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying for Shipping on a faulty item

Recently purchased a vintage computer floppy drive.  It was listed as "School Surplus Computer Equipment AOK " and the seller was one of the few selling this item who implied it was working.  $59.00 plus $14.99 shipping.  I bought it.

Received the item and it wouldn't work.  Ran various diagnostics and found it would be too much work to remedy the problem.  Returned the item, paying $14.99 for return shipping.

The day the seller received the returned item, it was listed again with out the "AOK" in the heading and sold for $47.95.

I've seen many where the seller admits he/she does not have the facility to test equipment.

It just doesn't seem right that I spent $29.98, to test the seller's equipment for him!

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Paying for Shipping on a faulty item

I spent $29.98, to test the seller's equipment for him!

@pandp2018 

^^^ Was that the shipping cost both ways? If it was, and the item was Not As Described... that was due to you. Uh-oh.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Were you not refunded the total amount you paid plus return shipping?

Did you not open an item not as described case?  

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

If the item was not as described when it arrived, why didn't you simply file a return request using the appropriate NAD reason?  The seller would have been required to pay the return shipping.  Since you chose to run diagnostics on the item rather than following the MBG procedure, I'm afraid that the cost of those tests are on you.

Frankly, I have a drawer full of old floppy disc drives in both 5 ¼" & 3 ½" formats.  However, I'm not sure I'd be able to find a machine with an operating system to work with them.  Some of my friends at IBM told me to use that old stuff as a boat anchor.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Yes, when I was in the biz, I had tons of floppy/CD PC drives that I just dumped.  It's different when it's for your 40-year old Apple II.  "It's an Apple thing."  Thank you for your .... advice?

Message 5 of 5
latest reply