cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this new policy? just placed opening bid, then got e-mail that I will be auto charged if I win?

Sorry if I missed the announcement,  but I just placed the opening bid on an auction,  then got an e-mail from ebay saying I will be automatically charged by my credit card *IF*  I win the auction.     Is this the new policy going forward,  to do away with non-paying bidders?    Sometimes I like a day or two to pay if it's more expensive item.   I knew they were doing this with BIN,  but not with regular bidding auctions

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Is this new policy? just placed opening bid, then got e-mail that I will be auto charged if I w

Yes it's been expanding into auctions.    Non paying bidders  have been such a problem here they finally had to take some action.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Is this new policy? just placed opening bid, then got e-mail that I will be auto charged if I w

Yes it's been expanding into auctions.    Non paying bidders  have been such a problem here they finally had to take some action.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

This policy has been in effect for a few months.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Thank you both for the replies.      I usually deal with BIN for both selling and buying,   so that was a surprise to me.      I guess it's been awhile since I actually bid and won and item

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

@tweetyboyd1971 

Your ID has been selected to be forced into the program.  Likely, you were shown the screen about "New Smoother Checkout" which required you to put up a default payment source in order to proceed.  In order for it to work, you must be dealing with a seller that has kept the buyer requirements eBay placed on their accounts with a default to YES. 

https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/buyerrequirements

Buyer Payment Requirements

*Require buyers to provide a payment method before they place a bid.

*Require buyers to provide a payment method before they make an offer.

That means your payment choices will be limited, and you will no longer be able to combine items from the same seller for one shipping cost.  Your default payment method will be charged in full for each item as the listing ends.  

Sellers that do not wish to combine items, or encourage multiple sales, nor use auctions or best offers find this a good thing.  

Sellers that wish to encourage multiple purchases from the same buyer for one invoice likely will not be pleased once they find out why they are not getting offers or bids anymore. 

Instead of getting rid of the people that don't pay, eBay has decided to do this instead.  Buyers pay more, sellers pay more, and eBay gets a raise. 

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

I just found out those settings were on and turned them off yesterday.  Someone won a auction 26 hours prior to me turning off the option and they still have not paid. So I guess it did not matter the option was on when the auction ended?

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Someone won a auction 26 hours prior to me turning off the option and they still have not paid.

@stephenmorgan 

It is quite possible that your BUYER was not inducted into forced payment camp yet.  Ebay started with the requirement just for offers, but is expanding rapidly and now is requiring it for buyers to even place a bid. One of my IDs was hit with it "mid stream" and I could not increase my MAX bid unless I succumbed.  Felt sort of bad for that seller, since I was willing to pay much more for those multiple auctions than the ending prices. 

With the "make offer" program, the seller is notified which offers will be immediately charged (i.e. buyer forced into the program).  That way a seller who lives in fear of an NPB can choose only those, even if they  have other offers for a higher amount from  buyer not yet inducted.  

Message 7 of 7
latest reply