cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else furious about ebay's new "pre-checkout" before bidding?

I had put a bid on an item a few days ago, just like always.

Today it was down to the last few minutes, and I was excited to put my maximum bid in. . .

But unbeknownst to me ebay now requires you to "pre-checkout" (enter all your payment info) before bidding.

I didn't have enough time to go and buy a new Ebay gift card so the item sold for a pittance.

Good job ebay you lost some money!

Ebay didn't bother to notify me of this new "pre-checkout" requirement.

having to "pre-checkout" for every single item I bid on is just asinine.

Is slow and tedious.

I mean I only win like 5% of the auctions I bid on.

This does not save me time instead of having a cart of 25 items I won to pay for at once, I need to "pre-checkout" for each one.

It's just not even worth the time for something I probably won't win anyway.

And to add insult to injury sellers can't even send you an altered invoice for combined shipping, since ebay just takes your money before they can do it.

So you end up having to pay the full amount and then wait for the seller to issue you a refund.

I know some of you are just going to post it's because of non paying bidders, you're wrong.

It's just another excuse for ebay to glom onto money faster and then hold on to it for longer before eventually paying the seller in it's own sweet time as usual.

I wish they hadn't axed the ability to be paid with paypal it's just been one problem after another since they did that.

If you're seriously **bleep** off about this "pre-checkout" like me, please chime in!

Message 1 of 52
latest reply
51 REPLIES 51

Re: Anyone else furious about ebay's new "pre-checkout" before bidding?

Never heard of pre checkout before bidding , maybe there is some sort of problem with your account so ebay did that to you .  The pre check out **bleep** for making an offer is a royal pain and bunch of sh*$##

Message 46 of 52
latest reply

@madmaxx454 wrote:

Never heard of pre checkout before bidding , maybe there is some sort of problem with your account so ebay did that to you .  The pre check out **bleep** for making an offer is a royal pain and bunch of sh*$##

It has nothing to do with a problem with an account. If a buyer has been forced into prepay for offers they've also been forced into prepay for auctions. There is no rhyme nor reason to eBay's rollout, and eventually everyone is going to be forced into it.

Message 47 of 52
latest reply

Spot on and when they had started this, we buyers could opt out of Auto Pay, just go to your settings and cancel it. When I did it, the option disappeared, so I thought it was unlinked from my PP account! Wrong, it still shows up when I try to make a seller any offer & tells me I MUST link it to PP 😠. I tried to call eBay & never made it past the Auto Reply messenger, which hung up when I asked to speak to a live person! Now, I ask sellers to send me their best offer & sometimes that works & sometimes it doesn't. Waiting on a seller's reply back now. I sent eBay many messages that this would deter & hurt sellers sales....NADA to date 😞. I think this is unethical & Flat Out WRONG!!!

Message 48 of 52
latest reply

I totally agree! My problem was I was making an offer to the same seller but with five of her different items. It was insane! Over and over filling out this nonsense! Especially because my ratings by sellers are top notch because I always pay immediately when I win an auction! And it sets off FRAUD ALERTS WITH MY CREDIT CARD COMPANY having sales dinging over and over!! I am highly insulted that I am treated that way by Ebay. With their new policy it is going to push buyers away from bidding on as many items.  I own an Antiques Shop 25+ years and have been searching for specific items for my customers on Ebay for a very long time.

And what about the place a bid? I always prefer to place my max bid in one time near the end of the auction. Either I end up driving up the price for the seller and I lose the auction or I win the auction and was able to purchase for my customer and keeping to their budget!!! I refuse to have a bidding war. I know my budget before ever bidding so now I will never bid on anything ever again. I now shop on Etsy and other various sights. 

One last thing - Ebay demands that we rate the seller which is perfectly fine. What bothers me is the sellers rarely rate the buyers. I think the sellers should always have to rate their customers. I have been buying from Ebay for a long long time and I have only 275 reviews from sellers. I can't even imagine how many purchases I made over the years but it is a lot!

Message 49 of 52
latest reply

You are exactly correct! I just made a very lengthy response to someone else basically saying what you posted. I own an Antique and Interiors shop for 25 + yrs and I honestly am disgusted with Ebay's new nonsense! I shop on a budget for clients and therefore I know what my limitations are. I used to always place my max bid near the end of the auction. Either I drive the price up for the seller and I lose or I won and stuck to my client's budget. I will not ever have a bidding war because technically it is not my money I'm spending. With no warning that Ebay changed the bidding, I was stunned with that auction. I tapped place a bid button, next it would then give the option to "place your maximum bid" but now it doesn't offer the use of maximum bid and it auto bid me the next higher price of $1.00. I will no longer bid on Ebay. I use the make an offer option but I now have been making most of my purchases from Etsy and other various sights. If these new awful rules are about non paying customers why doesn't eBay put the lightning fast paying customers who have been on here for years in a preferred category or something like that. My history of  purchases and my stellar reviews I received from sellers speak for themself and should protect me from these ridiculous new policies. Thanks but no thanks Ebay. You broke what did not need to be fixed.

Message 50 of 52
latest reply

I too am upset on their new checkout payment policy.

I have chosen not to bid until this gets resolved.  It is absurd that I am not allowed to decide how I make payment.  I have always used Paypal and the last to items went through my credit card automatically without my input.  I have been buying on this format for the past 25+ years and I will be sad if this is how they are going to continue.  I will go somewhere else to make my purchase.  I do hope that they fix it.

Message 51 of 52
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 52 of 52
latest reply