cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone explain the scarcity of this mundane title?

I am going through books I've accumulated over the years.   I found a wire bound paperback book titled "Billy's Power Meals" by Billy Blanks, published in 2006.   

I found some images on Google, but when I went to the requisite book sites, every one of them was out of stock on this title, which leads me to believe there must be some interest in it.  

Does anyone know the attraction of this title leading to its online scarcity?  Fill me in on the secret, please!!!

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

I searched the usual, then the general web, and there's hardly anything on this book. Very strange Michele, very strange. 

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

It appears that this book was published by a specialty publisher, so it may have been a very small print run. There may not have been very many printed. The publisher, Gaiam Media Inc., also produced a line of fitness products, DVDs and other books by a range of authors.

It's almost 20 years old, and the topic is a book of recipes that are based on a dietary theory that didn't hold up over time. The subtitle is "Great tasting recipes that burn fat", but there are no foods that "burn fat". There might not be any demand for it, and if there was, it would probably have been reprinted at some time and there would be more available.

Bottom line, I suppose, is that just because there is (apparently) no supply available, that doesn't mean that it is in demand. The best way to find out if there is a demand for it would be to list it for sale.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Billy Blanks (from Wikipedia):

William Wayne Blanks (born September 1, 1955) is an American actor, martial artist and fitness personality. He was a nationally ranked competitor in semi-contact and point karate during the 1980s, winning a bronze medal at the 1981 World Games, before creating the Tae Bo exercise program.

This recipe booklet is probably based on the Tae Bo tenets.  I'll list it after we move to our new house (only two miles away, but closing takes place during Easter holy week!).

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Can't say I've ever seen this, but those little spiral bound things usually end up in the landfill when the get donated. I never go through them. I have a small pile that have come with box lots over the years . . . tried to sell them once, had a few leave town. That was when I had a limit of items to offer available. Now that it's bigger than I can reach, I guess it's prolly time to give them another whirl around the pools.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

The book has no sales rank on Amazon.

It has no reviews on good reads.

My instinct says it is rare and worthless. No one is likely to care.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Stan (picturebooks), cool!  After we make our move, I think I'll buy that Caldecott one.

Tobaccocardyahoo, "rare and worthless" ... 😀   I can't wait to put it up for sale (after our move) and see what happens.  I'll be sure to fill you all in!

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Try using the key word sherdog

UFC/WWA guys are a loyal lot and may love getting an OG oldskool cookbook

Pound-for-pound fighters are diet conscious big-time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG-7V_ill

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Thanks for the tip and the keyword: Sherdog.  Much appreciated.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply