cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gift cards purchased at Safeway used already!

I purchased two eBay gift cards for $200 each totaling $400 from Safeway in Hayward, CA within the last two weeks but when I entered the first gift card number during checkout I received a response stating that I could not use the gift card! So, I tried the other and it was the same thing! I immediately contact Safeway and was told to call back later in the morning to speak to someone at their customer service desk. I called back but was placed on hold which inspired me to drive there and inquire as to what was going on.

I arrived and was directed to customer service and after standing in line received my turn to speak with an associate. I told her of the occurrence and provided her with both gift cards and packaging along with the receipt with authorization numbers time and date and amounts. I was told that I should contact 1-800-SAFEWAY! Why should I do that if I was standing at the very store that I purchased the cards from with cards in hand as well as proof of purchase! After stating how that made no sense to me I was told that they would research the transaction and contact me.

After nearly over one week I had yet to receive a phone call so I contacted them again only to be told that customer service was on break. I had to ask to leave a message with a hesitant employee who did not wish to take the time to write anything down and did so begrudgingly. Still I left my contact information and the reason for my call. Two more days passed and today I answered a call from Safeway telling me to call eBay. I was confused as to why I would have to call ebay when I purchased the cards with their establishment. However, I was not going to make a fuss if that is what was necessary for me to recover my funds.

After explaining the situation to Hermi I was blind transferred to another representative in another department. After explaining again I was placed on several holds while she researched using the card numbers I was able to provide seeing as how they were physically in my presence. I was told to call the police and file a report! How would that help me get my $400? She became apologetic and said that was all she could do which equaled NOTHING! ZERO!

This situation is a big mess of an issue and I need my $$! I highly recommend NOT purchasing eBay gift cards as they do not offer fraud replacement or recovery for their own products! They truly offer no assistance while passing the buck! I was a loyal customer but they failed their patron! Now what?…

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Same happened with me from walgreens and discover offered no help

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Same thing just happened to me at the local Safeway when the Best Buy gift card($50) that I purchased as a gift, came back invalid.

stupid, stupid, stupid. How stupid I can be to pick a card off the shelf that every thief has access to, knows the card #, waits for the card to get sold and loaded with $50 bucks and kaching.

But shame on you Safeway for locking up a $30 bottle of vodka that you think might get stolen, but you have no common sense to keep the gift cards safely locked up behind the counter. How stupid is that?

Message 3 of 3
latest reply