cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How To Stretch Those GAS Dollars. It Really WORKS!

I've known this for years and it looks like it's time to share:

It takes a one-time investment of filling your gas tank to the very top, and then never let your tank go below 3/4's of a tank.  Ever.  This is called Hoarding Gas (or Gas Hoarding) and the gasoline industry hates that!!  (Never...Never fill any container with gasoline!  ONLY your car's gas tank.)  It's very good for your engine and your gas mileage (Keep tired properly inflated for best results). 

With prices heading upwards, I hope this will help.  I've been doing this for years but never dreamed it would REALLY come in so handy!    

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Thanks for the great info.

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

OK, guess I'm about to put myself out there as a dumb blonde, or redhead.

Can you explain the science behind this? 

And how do you get gas for your lawn tractor? 

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

So you say your gas mileage will be *better* if you are hauling around an extra 50 pounds of fuel in the tank all the time....? It doesnt work that way.....

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

Should there have been a "just kidding" emoji?

I still want to know how I am supposed to get gas for my John Deere lawn tractor so that I can mow my almost two acres?  

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

LAWN TRACTOR??  WTH did you get that from?  Cars... That was halarious!  

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

Just ask any mechanic.  Driving on a low gas level might work for you.  You sound like an expert!  LOL!

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

IF you have one, then you know.  You are a comic, right?  That was so funny!  The 'duh's' around here is hip deep. No wonder............................................. 

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

Check out John Deere.  My riding mower is called a lawn tractor in the catalog from whatever year I bought it.

But we diverge from your original topic.  You stated gas should never be in any container except a car's gas tank.  I asked what you recommended when I need to buy gas for my JD.  Still waiting for that suggestion.

Am glad to learn that  I provided entertainment for you, even if it was unintentional.  

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

@buyologist-3 wrote:

I've known this for years and it looks like it's time to share:

It takes a one-time investment of filling your gas tank to the very top, and then never let your tank go below 3/4's of a tank.  Ever.  This is called Hoarding Gas (or Gas Hoarding) and the gasoline industry hates that!!  (Never...Never fill any container with gasoline!  ONLY your car's gas tank.)  It's very good for your engine and your gas mileage (Keep tired properly inflated for best results). 

With prices heading upwards, I hope this will help.  I've been doing this for years but never dreamed it would REALLY come in so handy!    

@buyologist-3   Really bad advice highlighted in red ... I can't drive my garden tractor to the gas station to fill it up because I would use all the fuel on the way home.  Also, I have a number of items that take a 50:1 fuel-oil mix like chain saw, weed whacker, blower, etc.  I do that in a can and put the oil in at the gas station then fill the can thus mixing the oil with gas right there.

One really important point not mentioned for filling vehicle gas tanks is this ... most newer cars have the fuel pump INSIDE the fuel tank and the fuel is actually part of the cooling process for the fuel pump ... people who run their tanks virtually dry before refilling can damage the fuel pump if it overheats.  Refilling at about 1/4 tank is fine to help prevent premature fuel pump burn out ...

Mr. L

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 10 of 22
latest reply

Thank you on so many levels.  I considered driving the John Deere to the station, but the PD pulled over my neighbor for driving his riding mower in the street to get to another neighbor two doors down on this quiet residential street so cannot imagine what would happen if an 88 yr old woman was caught riding the John Deer ten blocks down the busy highway to the closest station.

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

Thank you on so many levels.  I considered driving the John Deere to the station, but the PD pulled over my neighbor for driving his riding mower in the street to get to another neighbor two doors down on this quiet residential street so cannot imagine what would happen if an 88 yr old woman was caught riding the John Deer ten blocks down the busy highway to the closest station.

Thanks @soh.maryl  ... appreciate the mental picture you described!  On our rural road - street garden tractors are common believe it or not.  Our farming neighbors welcome leaves in the fall for compost so neighbors haul it to several locations ...

When we get enough snow I put my JD 42" wide x 16" deep snow thrower on the JD 245 and do numerous driveways.  One year one of our neighbors got stuck 1/4 mile down the road (the roads had not been plowed yet) ... I jumped on the tractor and went down the street clearing it, cleared out around the stuck vehicle then they followed me back up the road until they could get traction LOL!  

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 12 of 22
latest reply

But that's your neighborhood.  Unfortunately, some years ago, due to some manuevering by the city, my street changed from a rather quiet dead end to one of the main arteries to get into town.  It's even risky to make a turn out of my driveway.  Cannot imagine what an exciting trip that 10 block trip to Circle K gas station would be on the JD, but don't plan to find out.  And I still want to know what the OP suggests I use to get gas from the station back to my house to fuel the JD, since evidently, according to him, I should not be putting gasoline into one of those red 5 gallon cans.  

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

And, to clarify, that PD pulling over of my neighbor happened about 15 or so yrs ago, BEFORE the street was turned from almost a country lane into a freeway.  

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

OK, guess I'm about to put myself out there as a dumb blonde, or redhead.

Can you explain the science behind this? 

I think the argument for keeping the tank more than half full is usually based on loss of gasoline to fumes. With more empty space in the tank, there will be more gas fumes, which are lost and can't be used to run the car.

The argument for keeping the tank less than half full is because then you aren't carrying around the extra weight of the additional fuel in the tank.

Here's a discussion of both theories, which concludes that neither one makes very much difference in the long run.

https://www.creditinfocenter.com/wordpress/2008/07/24/increase-mileage-gas-tank-full-or-half-empty/

Actually, my first thought was that the reason might be based on price averaging, but I don't feel like taking the time right now to work out whether price averaging means that you should keep the tank full when the price is going up or down, and in which scenario you should wait as long as possible to fill the tank.

At first glance, it seems like if the price of gas is dropping, then you should wait as long as possible before filling the tank, so that it costs less. That would mean that when the price of gas is going up, then you should keep the tank as full as possible.

Message 15 of 22
latest reply