cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blocked Bidder's up to sellers to catch, why? You have the technology......

eBay has and uses IP technology to link multiple accounts, and it is used 24/7 for many reasons.  Why won't they use this technology to protect sellers from blocked bidders making multiple accounts?  Most blocked bidders can change names and mailing addresses with every account they make, but it is much harder to hide their IP address.  Most sellers do not have the technology, yet they are now tasked with the job of catching blocked bidders circumventing the system?  That should be eBay's job to protect sellers.  Is this under consideration at all?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

@sd-redneck wrote:

eBay has and uses IP technology to link multiple accounts, and it is used 24/7 for many reasons.  Why won't they use this technology to protect sellers from blocked bidders making multiple accounts?  Most blocked bidders can change names and mailing addresses with every account they make, but it is much harder to hide their IP address.  Most sellers do not have the technology, yet they are now tasked with the job of catching blocked bidders circumventing the system?  That should be eBay's job to protect sellers.  Is this under consideration at all?

Hi @sd-redneck  - 

Thanks for highlighting this.  We do use IP technology to link multiple accounts, and continually work to improve this detection so that we can better protect our community.

The enhancement referenced in this Seller Update is not designed to ask sellers to catch blocked bidders.  It is designed to give sellers the autonomy to cancel the transaction and be protected, in the event that our technology hasn't detected that the accounts are linked.  Sellers have an expertise about their business and customers, and we want to provide more control in these situations.

Hope this helps!

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@mikeyjt_123 

can you spell out in 8th grade level language what is the process for a seller re: BBLs circumventing a block:

1. seller realizes the paid buyer matches up to seller BBL before seller ships. can we cancel sale and not ship, and refund without negative recourse? has the drop down box for cancelling been revised to include reason "BBL buyer". how would affect our demerits/defects?

2. seller has already shipped, then realizes buyer is on seller BBL. package is on its way to BBL buyer but not delivered yet...what now?

3. in all cases, even if we know it is a BBL and they have paid, are we required to ship and then report buyer? and do we get the PP and ebay fees back?

please outline the process. thank you.

I ain't got the brains to make this up (Fantastic Beasts)
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

@abfabvintage wrote:

@mikeyjt_123 

can you spell out in 8th grade level language what is the process for a seller re: BBLs circumventing a block:

1. seller realizes the paid buyer matches up to seller BBL before seller ships. can we cancel sale and not ship, and refund without negative recourse? has the drop down box for cancelling been revised to include reason "BBL buyer". how would affect our demerits/defects?

2. seller has already shipped, then realizes buyer is on seller BBL. package is on its way to BBL buyer but not delivered yet...what now?

3. in all cases, even if we know it is a BBL and they have paid, are we required to ship and then report buyer? and do we get the PP and ebay fees back?

please outline the process. thank you.

Hi @abfabvintage  - 

Good questions - Yes, you can cancel a transaction and refund before you ship, and we'll protect you from feedback and defects related to the cancellation.

Regarding your points #2 and #3: once the item has been shipped, you can no longer cancel the transaction.  For more information, see our Cancel a transaction article on the site.

Thanks!

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@mikeyjt_123   What about

1. ... has the drop down box for cancelling been revised to include reason "BBL buyer".

Will this new policy lead to a new option in that list, such as "Buyer has been blocked on another account"?  (Personally, i'd like 'Problem with buyer's attitude" as a parallel to the existing reason "Problem with buyer address", but...) .   If an item is purchased and paid for by a buyer who is on our BBL under a different ID, and we decide to cancel the transaction:   If there won't be a new option then which of the existing options should we choose?

As noted elsewhere, eBay can link accounts and thus could automatically block linked accounts from bidding/ buying.  Even under this new slightly-improved policy, the seller will still be stuck paying the PayPal fee on the transaction, and/or spending a lot of time on the phone for something that eBay could prevent with simple programming.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

@mikeyjt_123   What about

1. ... has the drop down box for cancelling been revised to include reason "BBL buyer".

Will this new policy lead to a new option in that list, such as "Buyer has been blocked on another account"?  (Personally, i'd like 'Problem with buyer's attitude" as a parallel to the existing reason "Problem with buyer address", but...) .   If an item is purchased and paid for by a buyer who is on our BBL under a different ID, and we decide to cancel the transaction:   If there won't be a new option then which of the existing options should we choose?

As noted elsewhere, eBay can link accounts and thus could automatically block linked accounts from bidding/ buying.  Even under this new slightly-improved policy, the seller will still be stuck paying the PayPal fee on the transaction, and/or spending a lot of time on the phone for something that eBay could prevent with simple programming.

Hi @nobody*s_perfect  - 

Thanks for the feedback!  We keep working toward improved account linking, and hope to be able to block abusive buyers from bidding / buying.  As noted in an earlier response, when a previously blocked buyer is able to bid / buy, we hope this slight improvement helps.

If you want to cancel a transaction initiated by a buyer you previously blocked, go to Sold under My eBay, select the item you’d like to cancel, and click Cancel order under the More actions dropdown menu. Simply cancel the transaction using the reason, “Something is wrong with the buyer’s shipping address.”

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Thank you for clarifying which lie we should pick.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

This is my buying account.  I am also a seller on another account so am coming at this issue from both perspectives. 

Question - If the buyer is blocked, and  the seller cancels for "problem with address" will eBay actually be able to determine the cancel is "really" for a blocked buyer problem? 

I have had sellers cancel for "problem with address" when there is no problem with "my" address and I have had sellers cancel for reason "buyer canceled" when in fact buyer (me) did not cancel.  Since none of those reason actually applied, there is no other logical reason for the cancel than that the seller did not make enough money from the auction they were running and were circumventing fees by not using a reserve.   Especially when the item is immediately or soon thereafter relisted. (Hard to believe the unique items I bid on are Out of Stock or damaged when a relist happens that fast.)

If eBay cannot know for a fact that the cancel was "really" for a blocked buyer reason, then I definitely like the idea  that eBay link the ip address of blocked buyers so that both sellers and buyers are protected. 

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@thedishwitch wrote:

This is my buying account.  I am also a seller on another account so am coming at this issue from both perspectives. 

Question - If the buyer is blocked, and  the seller cancels for "problem with address" will eBay actually be able to determine the cancel is "really" for a blocked buyer problem? 

I have had sellers cancel for "problem with address" when there is no problem with "my" address and I have had sellers cancel for reason "buyer canceled" when in fact buyer (me) did not cancel.  Since none of those reason actually applied, there is no other logical reason for the cancel than that the seller did not make enough money from the auction they were running and were circumventing fees by not using a reserve.   Especially when the item is immediately or soon thereafter relisted. (Hard to believe the unique items I bid on are Out of Stock or damaged when a relist happens that fast.)

If eBay cannot know for a fact that the cancel was "really" for a blocked buyer reason, then I definitely like the idea  that eBay link the ip address of blocked buyers so that both sellers and buyers are protected. 

Hi @thedishwitch

Thanks for the perspective from both sides.  We are always working to better link accounts, and ensure we've got an ideal situation for both buyers and sellers.  

Message 9 of 9
latest reply