cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS losing more packages, 8 just this week.

I'm facing significant challenges with USPS losing packages, and it's becoming increasingly frustrating. Just this week, 9 packages have entered the "In Transit to Next Facility, Arriving Late" status, in essence LOST. To make matters worse, a $500.00 faucet was lost, then found, and lost again! This isn't an isolated incident either; multiple accounts are encountering identical problems.
Adding to the frustration, FedEx overcharging on all my shipments, which is incredibly inconvenient. Additionally, eBay's new policy of passing shipping savings to buyers is causing more headaches. Despite pricing my listings competitively, below those of sellers offering free shipping, these challenges persist. It's incredibly disheartening; I can't help but shake my head.

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Since November the USPS has paid 3 claims to me, another 3 items never got delivery scans, another item completely vanished and was never scanned at all! Now I have a package that’s been stuck in Opa Locka and Miami, sent to Texas then back to Opa Locka and is stuck again, two weeks. This is getting intolerable.

USPS has lost the same amount of packages in the last 5 months that I have lost in the previous 7 years of business over two accounts on eBay. Keeping in mind this store was closed for three months from mid December until the end of March, these are shocking results. 

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Additionally, eBay's new policy of passing shipping savings to buyers is causing more headaches

----------------------------

just "opt out" 

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

It could be who is packaging the items to be shipped.

Considering how many of the same items being sold I assume it's from another party.

And I don't think someone can have that many items in their place waiting to be sold.

I haven't had anything lost last year or this year yet by the USPS.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

@vegaseauction wrote:

Just this week, 9 packages have entered the "In Transit to Next Facility, Arriving Late" status, in essence LOST.

What makes you think those are lost?

A lot of mail is running later then usual.

Have a great day
Message 5 of 18
latest reply

@12345jamesstamps  Nor have I…..I am always amazed at all these “postal” problems. 

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

Firstly, I want to clarify that I package every item, a practice I've diligently maintained over my 27 years on eBay. So, any assumption to the contrary is simply incorrect. Secondly, I currently have a stock of 3000+ items ready to be dispatched from my location on any given day, so the notion of having nothing lost in a year is indeed commendable by you. 

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Let's just say I'm well aware of the situation. With my experience and ongoing communication with USPS, I've had insights into these matters.

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

If you think that just closes the hole up and nothing becomes of it, I think differently with my experience.

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

If you are packaging and shipping a dozen items a day, without help, then the problem is not with you.

Start with the local post office. Ask for the postmaster and discuss the problem with them.

Also consider changing which office you use as your postal drop. There may be a personnel or logistical problem at the one you are using.

With the FedEx problem the answer is simpler.

Don't use FedEx. Switch companies altogether.

You are claiming that your shipments are getting lost.

Do you mean they arrive after eBay's last estimated delivery date? Or that they never arrive at all?

Are you getting and paying  Item Not Received Claims?

Or are you watching tracking and getting yourself upset?
Are you aware that most shippers use "spoke and hub" delivery which doesn't look logical but is amazingly efficient.

https://blog.locus.sh/hub-and-spoke-distribution-model-in-modern-supply-chains/

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

I appreciate your insights. It seems the missing packages are vanishing after departing from the Las Vegas Hub, with the exception of one— the faucet, which was never scanned at the LV Hub. Every package is picked up directly from my property by the postal service, with documentation provided daily. The problem lies in packages getting lost during transit after the LV Hub. Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of time to personally ensure each order reaches its destination. I only find out about missing items either through customers filing claims for non-receipt or via emails from concerned customers inquiring about their order status. Now if it was just one hub that had these issues I would pass it off as it can be fixed, but this is happening all over the country. I will look into the use of spoke and hub as I just built a 2000sqft garage on my property for the exclusive use of Ebay. I will not be able to sustain these types of loses in the long run. Again thank you for your input.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

My experience with "In Transit to Next Facility, Arriving Late" is that it is literally correct.

My experience with why it occurs is human error. I have discovered that if my package looks like it might be a letter, it is processed as a letter, jams the sorter or is rejected, and is delayed because a human is upset.

There are a lot of upset people as USPS as changes are made to improve productivity and profitability. Certain sorting centers are clearly trying to prove that the old way was more productive, even if it was unprofitable.

Eventually, things quiet down and the problems move elsewhere.

As for FEDEX. They have serious problems. My heart goes out to Fred Smith who has to witness what bad managers have done to his great company. It will be interesting to see how they recover from losing the USPS air routes to UPS.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

@myfrugalboutique wrote:

Nor have I…..I am always amazed at all these “postal” problems. 

I am firmly convinced that probably 95% of "lost" packages are due to the package's label getting damaged or otherwise torn off given how many people I see in the PO with labels barely hanging on with Scotch tape.

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

... packages are vanishing after departing from the Las Vegas Hub, ...

So everything is fine, according to the tracking, until leaving Las Vegas.

I only find out about missing items either through customers filing claims for non-receipt...

I'm glad you are not watching tracking. That is just too much stress.

Of course, you are immediately responding to these Claims with a refund. There's not much else we can do.

This is where Cookie Jar Insurance comes in.

...or via emails from concerned customers inquiring about their order status.

For the ones asking about status, but who are not yet at the last estimated date for delivery, a prompt reply including the tracking number , which they already have, is appropriate and often soothes concerns.

Now if it was just one hub that had these issues I would pass it off as it can be fixed, but this is happening all over the country.

Have you ever tried to see where the tracking shows the delay?

I suspect most are delayed, not lost, and there are certainly some black holes.

Most mail for us in Canada goes through Chicago. There are stories......

Cookie Jar Insurance is just putting a few virtual  pennies from every sale into a virtual Cookie Jar as a premium against any losses.  Another less fun term is self-insurance.

The advantages of CGI over commercial insurance are that it is cheaper and that it covers any problem not only delays in transit but also NAD ,return shipping, and our own mistakes, like sending the blue sweater instead of the red one.

Work to Rule job actions, mentioned above, usually only last for a few weeks, before the workers either call off the action or get bored.  Then there is an extended delay while they catch up.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Here is todays email on tracking, today is the 18th

Moving Through Network

In Transit to Next Facility, Arriving Late

April 13, 2024

Departed USPS Regional Facility

LAS VEGAS NV PACKAGE SORTING CENTER

April 10, 2024, 5:58 am

Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility

LAS VEGAS NV PACKAGE SORTING CENTER

April 9, 2024, 7:48 pm

USPS picked up item

LAS VEGAS, NV 89149