cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User changes/creates new ID to make fake bids and doesn't pay

Why doesn't Ebay allow you to have your settings so that you don't allow bidders with zero feedback to bid on your items? This is the second time the same bidder changed their user ID or created a new one solely to bid on an item that they don't intend to pay.  What do they gain from this besides prolonging a sellers ability to make a sale?

Ebay's settings are so vague that it's difficult to weed out non-paying bidders. Is my only option to set my auction to a Buy it Now to avoid non-payers??

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

I stop doing auctions several years ago, and I don't miss it.  I also removed "Best Offer" from all of my items because of people sending you an offer, you accept.  And you don't hear from them again.  

You best choice is to just list as "Buy It Now".

Good luck on your selling journey!

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

To avoid serial non-payers, set your Buyer Requirements to their strictest settings. This will block those buyers with two or more non-payment strikes from bidding or buying your items.

If you decide to list as fixed price, then be sure to add Immediate Payment Required to the listing. And forgo Best Offer because that voids the IPR setting.

If the item in question is expensive, consider removing it from the platform for awhile. The problem buyer may move on. 

eBay will never allow a general block on new buyers or low feedback counts. It depends on new buyers coming in to replace those lost. New buyers should be welcomed, not held in suspicion. No one can tell if a buyer is good or bad, based strictly on a feedback score. More info is needed. 

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Yeah I guess you're right about the new buyer thing. We've all been there at one point and slowly made our way up. 

I did set my buyer requirement to the strictest settings as far as 2 non-payments within a 12 month period and I've also added their previous and current ID's to the block list although I'm pretty sure they'll create another. 

I may start setting more things to Buy it now to maybe help eliminate the problem.

Thank you for the input

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Oh I didn't realize the best offer issue regarding not hearing from them after I accept an offer, good to know!

Yeah maybe I'll start doing that to avoid the non-paying bidders.

Thanks for the Advice!

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

I wouldn't be worried about fake bids.

It's the REAL  bids that would be concerned about. 

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 6 of 17
latest reply

EBay has moved to automatically cancelling transactions that are not paid after four days.

The "cancellation"  on Day Five gives the deadbeat a Strike and he cannot leave feedback.

Make sure you have opted for that service.

If you go to Fixed Price listings add Immediate Payment Required, which leaves the listing visible and available for purchase by the first customer who pays up.

But.

If you also add Best Offer, you cannot add IPR to the accepted  Offer.

We can set parameters on Best Offers, so that lowball offers are automatically and politely refused, without any need to respond personally.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

The answer to your question is pretty simple. Everyone has to start somewhere and thousands of new buyers join eBay everyday or use a guest ID to make a one time purchase. Others have already offered suggestions and there is always the debate over which is better auction or BIN format since both have their pro's and con's. A lot of it depends on what you are selling. The same goes with OBO which I quit using a long time ago simply because I no longer had the time for the back and forth offer/counteroffer. I have better things to do with my time.  

Frankly I would just as soon a buyer not pay for an item rather than requesting a sale cancelation on a BIN item and or returning the item as soon as they received it for any number of reasons one of which seems to be increasing and that is I found it cheaper somewhere else. 

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Yeah I've already set it to IPR, hopefully that will eliminate the non paying bidders. I also have my settings set to 4 days with no payment and it auto cancels. thank you for the help

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Yeah I agree with  you. We all have to start somewhere. I'll start thinking about what I'm willing to accept and price my items at the buy it now option with that in mind. 

Thank you

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

@rockin302 wrote:

Why doesn't Ebay allow you to have your settings so that you don't allow bidders with zero feedback to bid on your items? 

If they did this how long do you think they would stay in business? We all started with 0 FB.........

Too many sellers would jump at the chance to block the (0) feedbackers and then how does eBay's buyer clientelle increase - it doesn't.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Ebay should ban all users with 0 feedback.

</sarcasm>

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Not all buyers with zero feedback are non paying bidders. The vast majority of them pay for their items. Just like a vast majority of Iphones, graphics cards, and play stations transactions go off without a hitch. 

However, if you believe everything you read on these boards and other on the internet you would think the opposite is true. How often does a seller come on here and report they just sold their Play Station without a hitch? 

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

And that ban should be retroactive back to the beginning.

Also sarcasm.  

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

If you want this type of behavior to cease, avoid auction style listings with best offers and list all your items at a fixed buy it now price with immediate payment required checked off.  Sport bidders and non - paying bidders steer clear of these listings as they must pay instantly.  It's the only way to rid these deadbeats who take up your time with their nonsense. 

Message 15 of 17
latest reply