cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non-Paying Bidder Keeps Creating New Accounts to Win and Not Pay for Same Item

I've never had this problem on eBay before and I don't know how to deal with it. Someone seems very determined to keep winning one of my items and then not pay for it.

The first time, the buyer who won had a feedback score of 10, but when I looked at it, it was full of sellers leaving "positive" feedback that was actually about this buyer being a fraud and not paying for items. One seller even left a list of alternate accounts this buyer users. I ended up blocking the non-paying bidder and their alternate user names.

But now someone with a brand new account with a similar name won the auction for the same item, and it appears that I'm in for another five-day wait to cancel the item and list it again, possibly to be won by the same buyer using yet another new account.

Does eBay offer ANY way to prevent people playing these games from bidding on your auctions? I've limited users with non-paid item strikes, but is there no longer a way to block bidders with zero feedback? Can eBay customer service look into this bidder and find a way to block them altogether?

It's starting to seem like I'll never sell this item. I can't even fathom what this person's agenda is, other than maybe they're a seller who has listed a similar item and wants to sabotage the competition?

Message 1 of 50
latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

Do fixed price with immediate payment required.

and yes eBay can link that name to other ID's they have used. Take action? They may, or may not.

Message 2 of 50
latest reply

There has never  (at least since 1998 when I started selling here) been a Block for 0 FB buyers.

But go with Fixed Price /Immediate Payment Required. Your item will remain visible until someone actually pays or for 30 days, whichever comes first.

Message 3 of 50
latest reply

I'm curious WHAT type of item you're selling that would make a person want to thrash or trash so many 'dumby' accounts... or potentially get them flagged by eBay.

Next, if someone really wanted to mess with you... I'd think there are many other ways, like ordering - paying for - then returning it (potentially costing you money both directions for shipping, and giving them the ability to actually leave you negative feedback). But maybe they are just bored, and don't really want to 'cost you' - but rather just agitate you?!?! Seems real fishy to me, and like either you're jumping to some wild conclusions... OR you've ticked off someone in a foreign country that has a group of people specifically 'setting up' and 'churning accounts' to troll competitors or those that have ticked them off (or they think they can gain from). So... maybe look at LOCATION of these 'buyers'? Maybe see if eBay can tell if they are linked??

The requiring an IMMEDIATE PAYMENT on the items you're having trouble with might be a good thing, if you're correct - and you're getting trolled. On the other hand, many eBay'ers buy today what they can't pay for until payday - which might be 2 to 7 days away. So, pick your restrictions and requirements wisely, because it could hurt your sales.

Some items have limited buyer's... and limited windows of opportunity... some things can be listed for a very long time without any watchers or sales, then someone - some where mentions 'it' on some website, and 100 of them are sold in 24 hours.   Ya just never know.

I use the BUYER MANAGEMENT TOOLS... https://www.ebay.com/bmgt/buyerrequirements

foghornleg90_0-1645766207023.png

I've added the "Buyer Management" to my 'short cuts' - in my seller hub, just so I can find them when someone asks (or seems to need).

Anyhow, good luck...

Terry (aka foghornleg90)

Message 4 of 50
latest reply

I'm selling action figures, foghorn. And it appears that this buyer does this to a lot of other sellers. They appear to be based in the U.S.

Message 5 of 50
latest reply

many eBay'ers buy today what they can't pay for until payday - which might be 2 to 7 days away.

Which is a silly excuse.

Attach a credit card to the payment processor , or pay directly with a credit card.

Pay off the card at your leisure or before there is any interest accrued.

Payday doesn't come into it.

Message 6 of 50
latest reply

And it appears that this buyer does this to a lot of other sellers.

If you have enough evidence to suggest this (prove is too big a concept for it) use the social media accounts to report the problem to a trained eBay employee.

https://twitter.com/askebay?lang=en

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851

Message 7 of 50
latest reply

@femmefan1946 is correct. There has never been a method to block new accounts with zero feedback. One could block repeat buyers with low or zero feedback from purchasing again within so many days. That setting was under Buyer Requirements.

Blocking newbies will never be a choice eBay will allow, because the platform wouldn't be viable for long without new buyers coming into the fold.

Message 8 of 50
latest reply

You did not explain how you know it is the same person?

Message 9 of 50
latest reply

Sounds  like a SWAG to me.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 10 of 50
latest reply

What would anyone have to gain by doing this?

They bid, they win, they don't pay.

You block.

They create another username.

------------------------------------

You block.

-----------------------------------

You block.

I guarantee you that if they're not gaining anything by doing this,

eventually they will stop. 

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 11 of 50
latest reply

I believe it is the same person. The winning bidder who didn't pay for the item last time has a lot of feedback marked positive (as required) but with negative written comments from disgruntled sellers claiming the person never paid or communicated with them. (Yes, I realize these type of comments violate eBay policy.) One seller wrote that this user has multiple accounts, and listed them. To be safe, I added those accounts to my block list. The name of one of the accounts is very similar to the brand new account that just won my latest listing for the same item. That person hasn't paid or responded to me yet, so we shall see.

Message 12 of 50
latest reply

I'm at a loss to explain their motives. I wondered if it's another eBay seller who places fake bids on items similar to what they're selling, hoping it will drive the losing bidders to their items. This particular item is a rare and often expensive Transformers figure.

I appreciate the advice about Buy It Now listings and that it is the sure way to get paid. While I prefer listing items as auctions, I might end up doing that for this item to avoid this persistent problem. I also might try a second chance offer but of course have to wait until I can cancel for non-payment.

Message 13 of 50
latest reply

What is a SWAG?

Message 14 of 50
latest reply

Do you find eBay's customer service on Twitter to be more effective that contacting chat support from the eBay website? (I ask, because I have found this to sometimes be the case with other companies.)

Message 15 of 50
latest reply