cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else getting listings removed due to 'Protecting minors policy'?

I got a email that one of my Playboys(with no minors on the covers) was removed due to 'We don’t allow listings that include images or descriptions of minors (under 18) in a compromising situation, even if the listing is not intended to be sexual in nature. Minors must be fully clothed. You listed an item that contains nude modeling images of a minor (Playboy July 1981, May 1977'

Huh? I think that eBay is using AI to search for 'offending' images, and guessing wrong.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

You say "one of" your Playboys, but the quote from the bot appears to cite two issues, July of '81 and May of '77. 

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Take a look INSIDE the removed issue(s).  It could be that certain ones are flagged because of content that has nothing to do with the cover.  Like if there's anything involving Brooke Shields I'd say there's your girl, lol.  

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Only the May one has been removed.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

So, it's not just the cover, it's what's inside also? The issues are in storage so I can't page through them to find and 'offending' images. But, #1---how would eBay know this, unless they have a list of Playboys that have 'offensive' material, and #2 it's highly unlikely that Playboy would not include minors anywhere in their mags(unless they were covering some adult animation, which has characters that looks like minors)? Oh, well, I'm not going to worry about, no big deal.   

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

@popch3 wrote:

So, it's not just the cover, it's what's inside also? The issues are in storage so I can't page through them to find and 'offending' images. But, #1---how would eBay know this, unless they have a list of Playboys that have 'offensive' material

Of course they have a list.  Just like Netflix and Hulu have lists of TV show episodes where there's something offensive in them, so they don't include those episodes in the viewable lineup.  

and #2 it's highly unlikely that Playboy would not include minors anywhere in their mags(unless they were covering some adult animation, which has characters that looks like minors)? Oh, well, I'm not going to worry about, no big deal.   

It could very likely be material that Playboy itself didn't create, but advertisers in it.  Classic example: one of the Calvin Klein ads where 15-year-old Brooke Shields is is on the floor in her skin-tight jeans and open blouse, with the tagline "Want to know what comes between me and my Calvins? -Nothing."  

Standards were pretty gross in the past.  

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

how would eBay know this, unless......

@popch3 

Maybe they got a new bot....it can also see through the covers of hardback books to scan the story...

x-ray.jpg

$4 plus .25 cents shipping.  

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@ittybitnot 

lol...thanks for the laugh! 😆

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

It appears for some reason that is above my pay grade, that there are 3 new additions to the "Playboy" hit list (which previously only included covers with any scent of nudity) .

Reviewing these particular issues (I am stretching my imagination here)....

Apparantely three pictorials have been determined to be 'offensive'.

August 1971 "Age of Awakening" (once I was informed the cover "suggested" a teen because of the bicycle and the pose.....)

May 1977 "Patti D'Arbanville"  (or O.J. Simpson advertising Dingo Boots)

July 1981 "Tender Cousins" (French Film Preview)

The policy is a good one when applied properly.....

I will withhold my opinion of this policy (as it applies to these examples)...

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

eBay's dumb AI bots at it again. Developers must feel good that they are doing God's work.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@popch3 wrote:

I got a email that one of my Playboys(with no minors on the covers) was removed due to 'We don’t allow listings that include images or descriptions of minors (under 18) in a compromising situation, even if the listing is not intended to be sexual in nature. Minors must be fully clothed. You listed an item that contains nude modeling images of a minor (Playboy July 1981, May 1977'

Huh? I think that eBay is using AI to search for 'offending' images, and guessing wrong.

I wonder if eBay is aware that those specific issues contain models who had lied about their age and this information became know years after they were published.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Wow, great sleuthing!  Would you be able to share the link to eBay's Playboy 'hit list' for the OP and anyone else interested in this category?  

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Thanks @gurlcat ....

I have the covers with a hint of nudity hit list somewhere on this computer, when I find it, I will post it here....

you can add January 1982 to that list of 3 that have internal content that ebay legal has determined to involve "minors"

August 1971 "Age of Awakening"

May 1977 "Patti D'Arbanville"  (or O.J. Simpson advertising Dingo Boots)

July 1981 "Tender Cousins" (French Film Preview)

December 1982 "Sydne Rome (?)

and (2) I know of from previous encounters

January 1958 Elizabeth Ann Roberts (Centerfold)

Sugar & Spice (Playboy Press) Brooke Shields

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

There have to be thousands of books that would come under that too.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply