cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay.ca promoted an auction bidder to scam me.

I auctioned a Rare Vintage Cassette Player on ebay.ca which was won by a US bidder.  This bidder was very aggressive with his bidder and bid far over what any seller would have expected.  Yes I know, if is too good to be true then it must be a scam!  Bidder asked for the deck to be double boxed which I did at extra expense to me (I thought I was being a good seller).  I shipped the package in good time which arrived on schedule.  This deck is considered a high value item and the deck, although 40 years old and having been serviced in 1996 and 2009, was in excellent condition for it's age. 

It worked, played, when it was shipped, however the buyer claimed the belt was melted.  Sure this can happen and I emailed buyer to try to make this right.  The buyer took it upon himself to DISMANTLE the Deck. to check the inside then asked for a return!!!  Apparently this sort of action is OK with ebay.ca.  The buyer even sent me photos of the dismantled deck which were sent to me through ebay messages  I have no idea what the buyer removed or swapped within the deck but when I got it back it didn't even turn on.

Not only do I have a non-working deck but ebay deducted from my account the shipping and US import charges.   I now have a useless cassette deck which I can't sell.

BEWARE OF SCAMS which it seems EBAY ENCOURAGE.  If I could give ebay.ca zero stars for this action I gladly would.  Now I am out of pocket OVER $3000

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Ebay.ca promoted an auction bidder to scam me.

@patrickgoju wrote:

It worked, played, when it was shipped, however the buyer claimed the belt was melted.  Sure this can happen and I emailed buyer to try to make this right.  The buyer took it upon himself to DISMANTLE the Deck. to check the inside then asked for a return!!!  Apparently this sort of action is OK with ebay.ca.  The buyer even sent me photos of the dismantled deck which were sent to me through ebay messages  I have no idea what the buyer removed or swapped within the deck but when I got it back it didn't even turn on.

I'm in Canada, too.  Just to help our American friends who see your post and may respond, eBay Canada does have a Conditions of Returns Policy:

https://www.ebay.ca/help/policies/member-behavior-policies/condition-returned-items-policy?id=4763

@patrickgoju wrote:

Not only do I have a non-working deck but ebay deducted from my account the shipping and US import charges.   I now have a useless cassette deck which I can't sell.

What US import charges do you mean?  Did your buyer have to pay duty because the deck was manufactured in Japan?  What shipper did you use?

Message 2 of 2
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: