cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Analysis paralysis - sell groups by brand or style?

I'm inundated with costume inventory. Mostly 1960s to today. I will go insane listing each item individually (even though I know individual pieces sell faster and for better prices.) 

If you need to sell in groups/lots, do you all expect buyers/collectors to hunt for a specific brands, Monet, Trifari, KJL etc.,  or does it make sense to put pieces together that  make more sense visually, regardless of brand? 

Ex: these are all "Etruscan," archaic in style and make sense together. They're 3 different brands. 

IMG_20240516_200842~2.jpg

This Trifari bracelet and Monet earrings were made for each other:

IMG_20240516_201143~2.jpg

After sorting by brand, there's no aesthetic through line or appeal other than the name. 

So, is it more important to group by style similarities or brand-loyal visual schizophrenia? 

Any additional input on trying to unload faster without getting fleeced is very welcome 

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Analysis paralysis - sell groups by brand or style?

From my experience, the people who are up for buying lots, are resellers.  As long as the price is right, the mix really doesnt matter to them.  I personally have had very little luck in selling matching lots to the general public.  Not really sure why, but I always end up breaking up the lot in the end lol.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

@jklfindings 

So I think I just heard you say that lots are only going to sell for bargain basement prices? 

And that the organization of visual similarities vs. brands is not a factor in your experience?

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I haven't done that well selling in large same-brand costume lots, though rarely a lot does sell for a nice price. I think the small matching lots aren't worth your time.

Unfortunately most costume, even from the 60s, is kinda worthless right now. Just list the notable pieces and maybe make a junk lot of the rest. I've been throwing mine towards the local auction house instead of listing on ebay lately. 

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I was researching vintage Trifari a few days ago and just checked again before replying here. I disagree in that you CAN get good money in lots. If you type in vintage Trifar or Monet, then highest prices + ship, then sold items you will find lots that have sold for $1000's  of dollars. There was a seller who had some smaller lots than the super large ones, where the jewelry coordinated with each other and they were getting $100's of dollars.

I think you could do well this way. Try a couple and see how it goes.

Best of Luck .

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@njcarpetbagger Your auction house takes vintage costume? Are you selling it by the pound? How does that work? Thanks for replying I'm very curious about this possible solution.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

@doodledog8 

I'll have to do a closer look for lots + highest price. Thanks!

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Yes, by the pound, random amounts. They take 35 percent.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply