cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Negative Feedback

Sellers can cancel orders after buyer payment and buyer cannot leave negative feedback for such a violation due to Covid-19.  Straight from an EBay supervisor.  I made an offer on an item, the seller countered, I accepted then paid.  Seller, then cancelled without explanation, so I left negative feedback (first in years).  I knew another buyer contacted the seller and offered more.  Anyway, the negative feedback was automatically removed due to Covid-19.  So much for buyer protection...

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Negative Feedback

Feedback is not permitted on cancelled transactions.  It has nothing to do with the virus.  The customer service rep lied to you - a common occurrence, whether you are a buyer or a seller.  eBay would have punished the seller with a defect for cancelling, which if repeated will cause him not to be able to sell.  eBay cannot force a seller to ship anything, just as they cannot force a buyer to pay for a purchase.  Read the buyer protection rules - you need to know what is covered and what is not. 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

@derekc1 wrote:

Sellers can cancel orders after buyer payment and buyer cannot leave negative feedback for such a violation due to Covid-19.  Straight from an EBay supervisor.  I made an offer on an item, the seller countered, I accepted then paid.  Seller, then cancelled without explanation, so I left negative feedback (first in years).  I knew another buyer contacted the seller and offered more.  Anyway, the negative feedback was automatically removed due to Covid-19.  So much for buyer protection...

Just how in the world did you find that information out? Ebay makes sure buyers IDs and such are never disclosed to a 3rd party.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

From eBay Policies:

"If at all possible, try to avoid canceling a transaction because you don’t have the item to send—it’s considered a transaction defect and may affect your seller performance level. The buyer will still be able to leave you negative or neutral feedback about the transaction."

A number of CS has also informed me and other buyers that negatives are being removed through June for cancellations due to a new seller protection during the pandemic.  Negatives I left for a cancellation in February still stands today.  Beginning in March, they are being removed.  And... no seller defect. 

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@myboardid wrote:

Feedback is not permitted on cancelled transactions.  It has nothing to do with the virus.  

I'm sorry but this is incorrect. Anytime a seller cancels a transaction the buyer can most certainly leave negative FB for that seller. It is highly frowned upon by eBay and will result in a defect on the seller's account. However- during the pandemic this is being waived because everything is being blamed on the virus issues. This is only temporary and the reason why I'm correcting this so other buyers will know they most certainly can leave a neg for a cancellation. 

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@derekc1 wrote:

See below for explanation on leaving negative FB for a cancellation. This is only temporary. I realize you are disappointed but just let this go. Perhaps what you purchased would have shown up broken or damaged in some way. Perhaps the other buyer will end up returning this item back to the seller, costing the seller a loss for shipping labels. You never know why things happen the way they do but best to think it was meant to be.

Keep looking and you will find the same item, most likely at a better price for you. Make this a win for you again. Let this go and be happy it turned out the way it did. Best of luck to you....

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

In many cases it is still possible for the buyer to leave feedback when a seller cancels a transaction.

If you are still within sixty days of the transaction, check this link:

https://my.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MyEbay&CurrentPage=MyeBayFeedback&FClassic=true&ssPageName=STRK...

See if the transaction appears on that list and if there is a "Leave feedback" link on that item row.

Calm and factual feedback is best.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

My apologies, I stand corrected.  Somehow I missed that ebay was blocking negs on cancelled transactions because of virus issues.  I thought it was a permanent change. 

Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

THE SELLER JUST SOLD THE ITEM TO SOMEONE ELSE FOR MORE MONEY.  The new buyer was a cheat and so was the seller.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

@derekc1 wrote:

Since your thread is about leaving negative feedback, I took the liberty of looking at yours.  Frankly, I can't imagine why a seller wouldn't want to do business with you. 😉  Of course, sellers aren't permitted to leave anything other than positive feedback for buyers, but being a seller yourself you know that.  

Perhaps, a bit more care in vetting your sellers may help you to not have to retract so many bids.  Just a thought.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

How would the new buyer have anything to do with the transaction between you and the seller?  He most likely didn't even know about the previous sale of the item. 

Message 11 of 11
latest reply