cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Playing at the Post Office

I live in a small town with an old-fashioned Post Office.  It has a lobby and a separate glassed in space with 2 counters.  The lobby opens at 7 AM and the counter at 8:30.  There is a dutch door in the lobby for access to the back.   To open the counter room they have to open the dutch door and I usually present or slide my packages in.  They've always said to knock anytime they're open and they'll take my boxes.....  until today.... I was told to leave my packages on the counter instead of knocking as they were busy working in the back. 

I don't get it.  Did they think I was there playing?  The boxes are their work.  I've left the boxes on the counter before and they just sit there.  The clerks may step into the back and the boxes just sit there.  I'm not comfortable leaving them exposed to the public where anyone could come and remove them.   Luckily most of the things I ship now are smaller and can fit in a slot.  I guess I'll have to work harder to time my arrival when the counter opens up.  Just venting.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Playing at the Post Office

Is scheduling a USPS pick up for your packages possible where are located? You would save a ton of time (and gas) having them picked up instead of taking them to the post office yourself.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

My mail delivery is almost the last one of the day so my packages can lose a day of shipping if I do pick up.  If I get stuff to the PO early, boxes are on the way to a hub by 1 PM.  I'm comfortable trying to get there when they open and will wait in line if I'm late.  I've been getting out and starting my day this way for almost 20 years.   

It might just be this particular employee was stressed or had some other issue.  

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Just arrive early & queue in the line. Bring a scan sheet for all of your parcels & then the clerk only has to scan one time & take all of your parcels. Quick & easy! 😎🙏✌️😁

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Hi @toysaver 

There are many variations to the Post Office layout you described.  We have some in our area very similar to yours.  There are a few where there is only ONE counter and only big enough for one maybe two workers.  

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

Hi @toysaver 

There are many variations to the Post Office layout you described.  We have some in our area very similar to yours.  There are a few where there is only ONE counter and only big enough for one maybe two workers.  

Where I lived before I used a Post Office like that. Only one person at the counter and only one person who was the rural mail carrier for the whole route. Many times the person at the counter was the Postmaster. I had a PO Box there and you could send me something with just my name and the town and it would get put in my PO Box. They knew everyone!  (PS. Great place for gossip)

Message 6 of 6
latest reply