cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay Fees too High .. sellers leaving in droves.

Ebay Final Value Fees are too high. They won't learn till the sales drop and drop. Also, gimmicks not working.. all the games they play with the web pages  ..just irritating.

10% fee on final sales and Shipping Cost! Crazy.

5% fee tacked on by Paypal. Crazy.

Some dumb wing nut will say "Raise your price to cover the fees."

Answer: What happens when you raise price? Nobody will buy it.

So, conclusion is to find somewhere else to sell where they don't "tack on' lots of fees which kill your business.

Message 1 of 178
latest reply
177 REPLIES 177

Re: Ebay Fees too High .. sellers leaving in droves.

I understand that eBay is a business and businesses are in the business of making money. But, there has to be a good balance between service/product and value. I really like eBay, but the cost of using the service is way, way, way too high. I’ll go back to Craigslist and others for most of the used things I sell. It takes longer, but I don’t feel taken advantage of when done. eBay, you are just too expensive for me...

Message 61 of 178
latest reply

I just sold a used cell phone on eBay and OMG 14.2 % fees they charged me.  The item sold for $61.00 and they charged me $8.64....WOW.  Never again will i sell items on eBay and i have been a member since 2003!

But that isn't the worst part of this.  I ended up not being able to ship the cell phone as I noticed on final check before shipping that the internal speaker was not working.  You will not believe the horrible customer service I got from the 1st agent.  The second agent was much better but their whole refund policy and how to issue a refund is terrible.  Your way too expensive eBay.

Message 62 of 178
latest reply

razorbackduckstamp
Adventurer

Screw Ebay and their Fees. I'm going to Facebook Marketplace full time. Bye Ebay!

Message 63 of 178
latest reply

I agree, sold an item for $165, made a mistake and clicked on the fee for them pushing your item to the top (I revised the item several times, and normally press no, but they ask you every time, and I must have clicked yes on accident; example of the web page games stated above). After I shipped the item, I was left with $116 (and that’s before PayPal hits me) kind of wish I didn’t even sell they the item. Not selling on eBay until they lower these ridiculous fees. 

Message 64 of 178
latest reply

The original message here is over 2 yrs old.  

Message 65 of 178
latest reply

Two years on - I'm finding eBay fees to be a SHOCK when I see how much I get - here's a recent example:

Item sold (auction) for £66

Postage fee charged: £3.20 

So: final value: £69.20

Fees: Item fee total: -£7.35

Final value fee: -£0.25

VAT:  -£1.53

So, in all: fees of -£9.16  - that's 13.24% of the total (inc. postage), and I get (eventually) £60.04 into my bank. Ah - but, since I've still got to pay the postage, that means out of £69.20 paid, I end up with £56.84. That's only 82.14% of the amount that the buyer paid.

I call this a bit of a rip off.

eBay DON'T tell you any of this before you start selling, really. Oh, the information might be there somewhere, but it's not "transparent". I don't think I'm going to bother selling on eBay any more.

Oh, and another thing - I "activated" the "£1 final maximum fee" offer - but of course, that DOESN'T mean you only pay a quid! It's just the bit marked "Final value fee" above. What a swizz.

Message 66 of 178
latest reply

Hey - where do eBay get off charging VAT on second-hand items? It's been paid already when the thing was bought new! I think this is a scam, and HMRC never actually get the VAT - it just goes to eBay.

Also it's totally unfair to calculate charges based on the final value PLUS postage. You charge the buyer postage, then you pay that TO THE POST OFFICE or wherever, not to eBay. Postage charges should NOT figure into the fees calculation.

And another thing - when I used to get paid by Paypal, it showed up straight away and I could get it transferred to my bank account immediately. (OK they charged a fee, but it wasn't much). Now it takes at least 4 working days for eBay to send the money to my bank account, if not more.

Oh, and I also found out that eBay show your listing more readily in searches only if you advertise it as "postage free", which is a bit of a liberty.

As soon as I get my latest payment through, I'm deleting my eBay account. Grabbing b*stards.

Message 67 of 178
latest reply

I have not sold on eBay for a while. I just sold something for $450 and just the eBay fees for $71! I almost **bleep** my pants! No more selling on eBay for me after almost 20 years!

Message 68 of 178
latest reply

You're absolutely right. I just sold item for $375 and was stunned at the fees eBay took for itself. Never again! I will use offerup, facebook, nextdoor, or some other site to sell.

Message 69 of 178
latest reply

Same boat. Just sold an item by sending an offer to a potential buyer. Ebay charged me a sposred listing fee even though the item didn't sell for 2 months until I found a buyer myself AND sold below what I wanted. After the fees I lost A LOT of money on the sale.

Message 70 of 178
latest reply

I've sold over 12k Hot Wheels cars on EBAY over the years and I think I must leave EBAY because of the fees. A $6 selling price costs me over $1. WTH!

Message 71 of 178
latest reply

I just sold an item at $900. I am being paid $716.

I sell maybe a couple times a year. But after this recent sale, I feel like I was robbed. I'm done. This is just beyond greedy.

Message 72 of 178
latest reply

Wow, no kidding.  I just sold a few items after having been away from Ebay for a couple of years... two of my auctions went for minimum bid ($0.99).  With Ebay fees being calculated on the full transaction including shipping, I made a whopping $0.20 on one item, and the other one ended up costing me a few cents to sell (net loss).  **bleep** happened?  I used to sell on Ebay fairly regularly but this is ridiculous.

Message 73 of 178
latest reply

Those fees are highway robbery.  What do they do to earn such high fees?  It's all electronic! 

Message 74 of 178
latest reply

I just sold 4 items over  $ 400.00  the way I figured it they took  .16.1 percent on each item, (Used pocket watch parts) I have been a member since Jan of 1999 and have had it.  These fees are not worth sell an item and making any profit on it.  You still have to package it and mail it which also cost.  I am still waiting for my money to get in my bank.  The old way using PayPal was a lot better the money was there and you could use it or transfer it to your bank.  I am starting today to find another place to use.

Message 75 of 178
latest reply