cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help please with i.d. for this .999 silver art round

any help with mint and year etc, is greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Can you post a pic of the other side?

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

hope this helps 🙂

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Well, it is not a "U.S. Coin".  You may get a better response by posting it on the public fourm "Coins and Paper Money".

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Coins-Paper-Money/bd-p/28

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Hello,

In the precious metals trade we refer to these types of rounds as generic .999 silver rounds. This is a good looking one with a blank reverse provided that can be engraved. These are often given as gifts to mark birthdays, 25th wedding anniversaries or other special events or achievements.

If there are no makers marks on them it is very difficult to determine who made them and when. They typically sell for $1 to $2 over the spot silver price.

Regards,
David McConaghy

New England Coin Exchange

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@davidx256 wrote:

If there are no makers marks on them it is very difficult to determine who made them and when. They typically sell for $1 to $2 over the spot silver price.

...even when they aren't solid silver.  It always puzzles me why a reputable silver minter wouldn't put their mark on them.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

am only needing help with the maker. sometimes the scroll on the reverse will reveal the maker.

an example would be the cursive "YCI " woven into  the scroll, for Yorkville Coin Investment ...

or a distintive scroll, used by only one maker. the vaquero round i am asking help with, has a distinctive scroll. this round is also 'vintage', made sometime in the 80s. thanks!

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Norm,

My answer was based on the photo that you provided and this round was marked .999 silver - if they are not marked they generally are not silver and would have no value. Again, this specific one from the photo is marked .999 silver.

David Mc

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@davidx256 wrote:

Norm,

My answer was based on the photo that you provided and this round was marked .999 silver - if they are not marked they generally are not silver and would have no value. Again, this specific one from the photo is marked .999 silver.

David Mc

I can show you many, many that ARE marked .999 but are NOT .999, just plated.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Norm,

That is true we keep a library of counterfeits here but typically they are marked .999 100 mils, .999 clad (which means plated) or something to that effect. The counterfeits that we have are all off weight (+/1 1gram) so a good scale is all you really need to spot them and most of the counterfeits will stick to a strong magnet. We have not yet seen any .999 1 ounces rounds that don't stick to a magnet and are within 1 gram of a troy ounce.

It would help other forum members if you could post photos of the counterfeit ones that are marked .999.

Regards,
David Mc
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

HIYA.....WE KINDLY ASKED FOR HELP TO DETERMINE IF ANYONE KNOWS THE MAKER OF SAID ROUND THAT IS PICTURED.

WE ALREADY KNOW IT IS AUTHENTIC .999 SILVER CONTENT, AND ONLY CURIOUS AS TO MAKER AND WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE ANY HELP WITH THAT ASPECT.

SOOOOOooooooo DOES ANYONE HAVE AN IDEA AS TO MAKER?

THANKS!

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

well, i found the answer myself, a while back .. Silvertowne Mint 🙂
Message 12 of 12
latest reply