cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

billsey's car accident and recovery

On Wed 22 Nov our eUSC Executive Assistant billsey was in a head-on car accident. The other party, fleeing from police, was travelling at 100mph. Bill is pretty banged up and will be unable to walk for several weeks.

His left ankle was stabilised and a perforated bowel attended to. Through all this he has been exceptionally keen mentally, surprising the ICU staff at OHSU Trauma  Center.

He has received many visits from family and friends during this time, and keeps up with phone messages. With 10 fractured ribs and a fractured sternum, he is hoping you don't tell him any side-splitting jokes, though.

On Tuesday he had surgery on his left ankle, and the surgoen said it went well.

I will post updates on this thread.

Sheryll

Message 1 of 53
latest reply
52 REPLIES 52

Re: billsey's car accident and recovery

Great news!

Sending good thoughts your way! 👍
Message 31 of 53
latest reply

Just to prove it’s possible to recover eventually… It’s a bit tough to walk around using the table as one crutch, but I kept it up for three games. 🙂

Message 32 of 53
latest reply

Gobsmackingly marvellous!

Message 33 of 53
latest reply

Bill,

So glad to see your progress. Keep at it.

From another three legger.

Message 34 of 53
latest reply

And I hit a new milestone today... After ten weeks I was allowed to stand, and take a couple of assisted steps, on my actual feet without the boot. I'm not supposed to try it on my own at home yet, but hopefully that'll show up after my next PT appointment next week.

Message 35 of 53
latest reply

Yes!  Keep plugging at it.  Good to hear positive progress.

Rob

Message 36 of 53
latest reply

Twelve weeks and counting...

20180215_115831.jpg

Message 37 of 53
latest reply

***Applause, cheers, whistling***

Message 38 of 53
latest reply

Moving steadily along... I drove my truck to the store yesterday, no need for a bummed ride! One of my next steps will be to replace my car, I've been vacillating between another Honda Insight or a Toyota Camry Hybrid. I'd get a bit better fuel economy in the Insight, but the Camry would put a bit more metal between me at the driver bearing down on me at 100 MPH...

Message 39 of 53
latest reply

Bill,

Thanks for the update.  It's good to see you are making steady improvement.

Believe me I feel your pain, walking around isn't one of my strong points either.

At least we have a great hobby that doesn't require it.

Luv Ya,

A-Ra

Message 40 of 53
latest reply

It's just plain good to see each of you posting here.  Keep moving as best as you can and I'll make sure to weed the peas and carrots for you.

Best,

Rob

Message 41 of 53
latest reply

Turns out that the heel bone has settled into a new configuration (read that, the darn thing broke again), breaking a couple of the screws. New surgery next Tuesday to take them out (they likely will take all the screws out, not just the broken ones). Going to be at least a couple of weeks after that before I can get back on my feet. This is my first real setback in the recovery process, other than stress symptoms from medical bills... Twenty weeks in, but this one shouldn't be too much of a delay, maybe a month or six weeks to get back to where I am now. ;(

Message 42 of 53
latest reply

Bummer! Broken screws! Sounds like warranty work to me. grimacing

Message 43 of 53
latest reply

After an early start (5:30 AM check in) everything went well and I got back home by 1:00 PM. Nerve blocks haven't worn off yet (they said 4-6 hours, it's been 11+), so I'm even still feeling pretty good! They took five of the eight screws out, but left the two broken off pieces. They decided those were going to be more trouble to take out than they'd cause by leaving them in.

Message 44 of 53
latest reply

Do you collect any stamps?

Message 45 of 53
latest reply